Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #101
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Stop
So you seriously think that was entirely on Diarra? I'll grant that Diarra has a tendency to try to do to much (especially when no one else wants the ball). But he was put in a position to fail.

Diarra was in the position of being the outlet pass for Martin. Should he have been the outlet pass? No, we all know he's not that offensively capable.

But when Sam Martin can't get 10 feet up the court, somebody needs to handle the ball.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #102
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I agree. The nba is a different animal. But college, you don’t have to be a great athlete. I would like someone to explain to me why he can’t be a good college player. Shoots well, decent size, decent handles. Because he wasn’t ranked high? That’s usually the only reason.
His handles, passing and defense still need to improve, he's primarily a 3-point shooter. He's also a bit of a tweener. He's not big enough to play defense as a 4 against a lot of teams, but is he athletic enough and a good enough ball handler to play the 3?

He can undoubtedly become a very good player in college. The above is what may stop him from becoming a star at the college level.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #103
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
So you seriously think that was entirely on Diarra? I'll grant that Diarra has a tendency to try to do to much (especially when no one else wants the ball). But he was put in a position to fail.

Diarra was in the position of being the outlet pass for Martin. Should he have been the outlet pass? No, we all know he's not that offensively capable.

But when Sam Martin can't get 10 feet up the court, somebody needs to handle the ball.
He gave the ball to the other team 3 straight times. Who’s on the court shouldn’t matter. He’s been here for 4 years. How hard is it to make an outlet pass? Seriously
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #104
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
His handles, passing and defense still need to improve, he's primarily a 3-point shooter. He's also a bit of a tweener. He's not big enough to play defense as a 4 against a lot of teams, but is he athletic enough and a good enough ball handler to play the 3?

He can undoubtedly become a very good player in college. The above is what may stop him from becoming a star at the college level.
You don’t have to do all of that to be a good college player. You usually need 1-2 skills, and effort. Tre Scott wasn’t good at much. He care, and tried. And had good size. Once again I’m not saying he’ll be Danny forts on, but could he be Tre Scott with different skills? I think so.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #105
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Davenport just needs to work without the ball of do straight line drives when he finds one. He’s not breaking any ankles out there. He can make the shots when he gets there. He’s not a play maker. He’s a lot less athletic than Clark... but he does a good job with what he has. I don’t think he can guard in NBA.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #106
BoomBoomRoom

BoomBoomRoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I still like our core. If guys come back, add dejulius we could improve a lot next year. These guys are really young. Finish the year with a couple wins, a win in the conference and go from there.
Dejulius ?
Think he can be counted on ? Only as a backup to Saunders. I believes for the sake of the program going forward, Saunders needs as much experience running the Point as possible.
BoomBoomRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #107
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Also,it’s senior night. Ultimately that game didn’t matter for us. Are we really blaming the coach for starting the seniors? Their actual senior night got canceled.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #108
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Davenport just needs to work without the ball of do straight line drives when he finds one. He’s not breaking any ankles out there. He can make the shots when he gets there. He’s not a play maker. He’s a lot less athletic than Clark... but he does a good job with what he has. I don’t think he can guard in NBA.

Talking nba with him is just silliness.

But if he can just continue to get better at the things he does well, he's going to have a heck of a college career. I dont think anybody expected much out of him coming into this year and he's been great.

If he can be a 36-40% 3 point shooter next year on 5+ attempts a game he is going to be so valuable. Also he's gotta cut down that turnover rate
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:56 PM   #109
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomRoom View Post
Dejulius ?
Think he can be counted on ? Only as a backup to Saunders. I believes for the sake of the program going forward, Saunders needs as much experience running the Point as possible.
No clue if dejulius is coming back but it sounds like he is. I think he’s solid.
Old 02-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #110
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
You don’t have to do all of that to be a good college player. You usually need 1-2 skills, and effort. Tre Scott wasn’t good at much. He care, and tried. And had good size. Once again I’m not saying he’ll be Danny forts on, but could he be Tre Scott with different skills? I think so.
The smaller a guy is, the more he needs to be able to do. A 5 can make a major impact while being an offensive liability (look at Memphis's Cisse). A PG needs to be able to do a lot more with the ball to stay on the court.

Davenport needs to be more skilled than Scott, because he lacks the size and athleticism to rebound and defend at anywhere close to the level Scott did. Also, Scott had more than 2 skills, but he was elite at 2 skills (defense and rebounding) and capable in most other areas (shooting, passing).