Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
SMU Part II

Wednesday, February 27th, 2019
9:00 PM
Moody Coliseum
CBSSN

SMU (13-13, 5-9 AAC, NET 109) is coming off their worst lost in program history which came at the hands of UCF on Sunday. During the 95-48 massacre, SMU shot 25% from the field, 22% from 3, and did not produce a single double-digit scorer, while losing the rebound battle 58-35. Perhaps the most remarkable statistic is that SMU only committed 4 turnovers on the day. The performance marked a stark contrast from what transpired at Moody 3 days prior, where SMU shot 57% from the field, 53% from 3, and went 13-15 from the line in a 77-59 blowout of UConn.

It still hasn't been a month since SMU visited Fifth Third and had two separate possessions in the final 20 seconds where they could've tied the game, but ultimately fell short. That loss was the second of what would end up being 5 in a row for the Mustangs where the average loss was only by 4 points.

Through 14 conference games, SMU has committed the least amount of turnovers of any team in the league at just over 10 per game. They also have attempted the most 3s (just under 26/game) but only shoot the ball at a 32% clip (they shot 36% in Cincy).

We won by 25 at Moody last season so hopefully we can channel that same performance to beat a team that is likely discouraged, tired, and has already lost 6 times at home this season.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019
9:00 PM
Moody Coliseum
CBSSN

SMU (13-13, 5-9 AAC, NET 109) is coming off their worst lost in program history which came at the hands of UCF on Sunday. During the 95-48 massacre, SMU shot 25% from the field, 22% from 3, and did not produce a single double-digit scorer, while losing the rebound battle 58-35. Perhaps the most remarkable statistic is that SMU only committed 4 turnovers on the day. The performance marked a stark contrast from what transpired at Moody 3 days prior, where SMU shot 57% from the field, 53% from 3, and went 13-15 from the line in a 77-59 blowout of UConn.

It still hasn't been a month since SMU visited Fifth Third and had two separate possessions in the final 20 seconds where they could've tied the game, but ultimately fell short. That loss was the second of what would end up being 5 in a row for the Mustangs where the average loss was only by 4 points.

Through 14 conference games, SMU has committed the least amount of turnovers of any team in the league at just over 10 per game. They also have attempted the most 3s (just under 26/game) but only shoot the ball at a 32% clip (they shot 36% in Cincy).

We won by 25 at Moody last season so hopefully we can channel that same performance to beat a team that is likely discouraged, tired, and has already lost 6 times at home this season.
SMU played terrible and couldn't hit a shot against UCF which only means they will come out and shoot lights out against us and we will have to scrap to get a win, you know there fans will show up just because they are playing UC.

Side note, 9pm games on weekdays really suck.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Gotta have a good, quick start to whether any confidence they may bring. Keep clawing and do not give up a good lead should we find ourselves having one. I like UC. 73-64
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #4
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Biggest thing we can get out of this game besides a victory is to get Cumberland’s swagger (and production) back. This kid is special and we need him to be special the rest of the way.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Time for us to look like we are getting better heading into March and not worse or staying even. We need to play some complete games. I am okay if we have a bad shooting night if we are taking/getting good shots.

Cumberland, Jenifer, Williams will be fine. Broome needs to keep up his good play of late so he is coming on at the right time. Brooks usually does about as well as can be expected. Of course they will all make mistakes or have a bad game here or there. No big deal.

If we are going to have Scott out there for 30+ minutes down the stretch I feel he needs to progress a little. He just needs to be consistently better/smarter. He needs to look for smart shots in his wheelhouse and not force things. He's got 5 turnovers in the last 2 games and much of that is him trying to do things he's not good at (Cronin needs to address that). He cannot disappear on the boards (although he has done pretty well lately). He has gotten a little better at getting blocks lately but 1 per game should be a minimum for him.

We can't rely on Moore, Nsoseme, Fredericks, Johnson or Diara etc to come in and not make some mistakes or score a ton of points so the big 6 have to be playing well for us. I know we like to think we are a deep team but we really aren't. We have a 6 man rotation with spot minutes going to some other guys by necessity. I think Scott is a big key to how far we can go because of how many minutes he gets. He cannot have 3 rebound nights and he cannot be trying to make plays by putting the ball on the floor. I don't like to call players out so let's call this a challenge for Scott. We need you to perform up to expectations or exceed them down the stretch if we are going to finish the season well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

It's been over 5 weeks since we've won a road game by more than 5 points but I'm confident we can put together one of our more complete games and cover today.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

I would love to see a comfortable win so we can get guys like Logan, Eli, Mama and Trevor some extended minutes. As much of a liability as those guys are we are going to need them in March. I am a big supporter of Eli's hustle but he looks like a bull in a china shop when he is down low with the ball, I don't know if he's going to lay it in or chuck it over the backboard. His motor is always running at 100 and that's why I support his minutes, I fully understand that he is a liability when he's in there because most of the time he is out of place. We also have to remember that Eli didn't start basketball until he was 15 when he moved from the Congo to Canada so he's still very Raw and the hard truth is the only way he improves is by playing.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I would love to see a comfortable win so we can get guys like Logan, Eli, Mama and Trevor some extended minutes. As much of a liability as those guys are we are going to need them in March. I am a big supporter of Eli's hustle but he looks like a bull in a china shop when he is down low with the ball, I don't know if he's going to lay it in or chuck it over the backboard. His motor is always running at 100 and that's why I support his minutes, I fully understand that he is a liability when he's in there because most of the time he is out of place. We also have to remember that Eli didn't start basketball until he was 15 when he moved from the Congo to Canada so he's still very Raw and the hard truth is the only way he improves is by playing.
Cronin has mentioned several times throughout the year that Eliel has been playing with lingering hand issues (I forget the specific ailment) throughout the entire season that has affected his handling of the ball. I don't know if the two FTs he hit at UConn were an anomaly or a sign of good things to come, but at the very least if his hands improve, he can hopefully give us better minutes during conference play next season.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Cronin has mentioned several times throughout the year that Eliel has been playing with lingering hand issues (I forget the specific ailment) throughout the entire season that has affected his handling of the ball. I don't know if the two FTs he hit at UConn were an anomaly or a sign of good things to come, but at the very least if his hands improve, he can hopefully give us better minutes during conference play next season.
I agree with that because lets be honest we aren't getting any freshman frontcourt players good enough to start right away in any upcoming recruiting class. So like it or not after next year our front court will be Eli, Mama, Laquill and Prince. With Prince and Laquill unproven due to redshirting this year its Eli and Mama's job to lose IMO.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I watched some of that game with UCF. SMU looks like they've quit on Jank. We should win this one by double digits.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote