Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2013 Recruiting Profiles

Old 11-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
First thought, and I hope I eat these words, is I'm not very happy. Seems like a random signing because we don't feel we can get Henry, Lawrence, or the like.
Hate to say it but I had the exact same reaction. Just so out of left field it seems. I do trust Mick though and just like the previous coach he has shown he can do more with less. If you cant get top 50 talent then you have to develop it. Welcome to the cats big fella!
JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First thought, and I hope I eat these words, is I'm not very happy. Seems like a random signing because we don't feel we can get Henry, Lawrence, or the like.
I think there's a 0% chance we get Henry. His main schools are Clemson, South Carolina, Rutgers, Miami, Illinois and USF. I don't think he's mentioned UC in a while. I think he'll ultimately end up at Clemson.

Lawrence has stated several times he is going to take an official visit here, but we all know the competition we will be up against. It'll be tough against St. John's, Kansas, Kentucky (although they probably won't have room) UNLV, Syracuse, and Rutgers (location). He's signing late so another impressive season and run in the tournament could be huge. A win over UNLV wouldn't hurt either.

I think this year is a little unusual. The early signing period hasn't even occurred and according to Rivals, there's only 23 kids in the top 150 who aren't committed, with only a handful of those true bigs. If we would have missed on Lawrence, Henry, etc. and let a guy like Strickland play his high school season and blow up, then what would we have done?
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #13
UnivCincy

UnivCincy is on a distinguished road
So, he's coming off of a traumatic ACL injury and is taking a prep year at Queen City Prep (NC), ranked 12th nationally, ahead of traditional power schools like St. Anthony (NJ), Montverde (FL), and Simeon (IL) [rankings courtesy of: http://recruitdirt.com/2012/11/05/20...ded/#more-946].

From what I've seen on Youtube, and from what I've read elsewhere, here are the positives: good size and a decent left hook.

Am I missing anything? Who is this guy? It's hard to find any stats about him, and against the smaller and weaker competition that he's faced in Oakland (See: Youtube), he's relatively unimpressive. Is this what our program has been reduced to, settling for players who are offered by the likes of Houston and Missouri State (no offense to Houston or Missouri State, but these programs aren't competing on our level)? As I think BearcatJeff (?) pointed out in his forum conversation on recruiting big men, is this a trend that should worry us fans? What's more, is this a sign that we're out of the Lawrence sweepstakes, or is Strickland a legitimate find who can play behind Lawrence and develop, so long as Lawrence stays in school? I always will put faith in Mick (he's brought us this far), but our inability to land a well-documented, quality big man is disconcerting.

Last edited by UnivCincy; 11-07-2012 at 03:16 AM.
UnivCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #14
rallie25

rallie25 is on a distinguished road
I think Mick is doing the best he can. I think Cincy really need to upgrade 5/3 arena to
compete with the other programs.
rallie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Still have another scholarship so this doesn't mean anyone is or is not coming. I think he wanted to take a sure thing just in case; hoping for another guy that defies the rankings such as (lets face it) most of our players. In Mick we trust.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
x2.

Smells of desperation.

Seems like Mick is going to take whoever and hope they can play low post defense, rebound, and let our guards and small forwards to the scoring.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I don't know much about this guy but I do know that he came from a HS and is going to a prep school that plays a 4 out 1 in offense like we are playing this year and for the foreseeable future. The fit in the program may be the biggest asset here. Jamaree made a comment that it is one of the reasons why he committed here even without a visit.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
True, not to mention he seems like a fighter who is going to work from day 1.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Hate to say it but I had the exact same reaction. Just so out of left field it seems. I do trust Mick though and just like the previous coach he has shown he can do more with less. If you cant get top 50 talent then you have to develop it. Welcome to the cats big fella!

I agree, seems like Mick throwing in the towel.

And while Mick has done a pretty good job with guards and swingmen...he hasn't really developed a big yet. So, I hope that changes.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Maybe he will turn out to be the next Kenyon Martin.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote