Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM   #241
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
And personally y’all can have the sticky threads

To me it’s now state ran media. Soulless numbers with out any conversation.
Yeah, that was the idea. I think it's good to have both. "Soulless numbers" are useful. It's difficult to have threads like that when conversations shift the topic.
If you want to add some "soul" to a topic, just use one of the other threads.

Sticky threads isn't meant to make those topics more important. It's just to clearly identify which threads are moderated.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #242
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
It’s just weird you were asked to be a moderator a month or so ago, and your trying to dictate pretty much every aspect of the board.. haven’t we lost enough people already, no need to push even more out over trivial reasoning
FWIW, I laid out what my philosophy would be when I was nominated:

"Outside of simply enforcing the rules, my main wish would be to keep threads on topic. The site can be a valuable resource for lurkers who want to read some discussion about the Bearcats or learn about recruiting, bracketology, opponents, stats, players, etc. No one who visits wants to read arguments about who is a worse fan of the team or accusations that someone might be related to Mick Cronin based on their posts. A general guideline - if a lurker would not benefit from reading it, it's probably not worth posting.

I think game threads and one or two open threads should be basically fair game for anything that doesn't break the forum rules. Other threads, like Bracketology, Around the AAC, Former Bearcats, etc. should be limited to posts that are useful and the occasional humorous or anecdotal diversion. Posts that are useless bickering would be moved to an open thread rather than be deleted."
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #243
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yea that’s not true.

Considering last year was dead and It was the mick haters detailing threads back then.

This place lost most of its momentum after the Nevada loss

And he was not personally asked to be a mod. He volunteered. I
He was asked to be a mod. Mainly because he is rational and objective. Trying to keep threads on topic is generally a good idea and is a rule on most boards. This board has always been pretty lenient except for those who refuse to change their habits after a warning or two.

I've been warned before...so I stopped doing the thing I was warned about

Novel idea
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #244
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I'll keep the sticky threads up for a week or so, and then maybe I will make a poll to see how people feel about it. If people don't like the sticky threads, I'll get rid of them.

All of my decisions will be transparent. I'll state what I did and why. And I'll welcome criticism. If most of the board is clearly not happy with something, I'll rescind it.

So far I think the changes have been fairly benign. I'm really just moving posts out of a handful of threads to keep them on topic. Almost all forums I am a part of have sticky threads with consistent pertinent information. No one has been punished for off topic posts.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #245
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And personally y’all can have the sticky threads

To me it’s now state ran media. Soulless numbers with out any conversation.
There are plenty of threads to discuss just about anything you like in any way you like. You can even start a Cronin vs Brannen thread and I think that would be fun for many. Or a UCLA vs UC thread if that gets your gears going.

Start threads specific to what you would like to discuss....then you can go on for days about it with other people who would like to go on for days about it.

Good grief
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #246
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'll keep the sticky threads up for a week or so, and then maybe I will make a poll to see how people feel about it. If people don't like the sticky threads, I'll get rid of them.

All of my decisions will be transparent. I'll state what I did and why. And I'll welcome criticism. If most of the board is clearly not happy with something, I'll rescind it.

So far I think the changes have been fairly benign. I'm really just moving posts out of a handful of threads to keep them on topic. Almost all forums I am a part of have sticky threads with consistent pertinent information. No one has been punished for off topic posts.

the truth is this forum is by far the most laid back. thats why some guys still post here, they've been banned other places or just get laughed off the site.

this site still lets them go on, it just asks them to do it in specific threads. seems like a fair trade.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #247
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think our bad losses and UCLA’s are pretty on par. We have 3 tier 3 losses they have 1 tier 3 loss and one tier 4

But they lack Q2 wins.

But if UC and UCLA both managed to win out. I’d probably take UCLA’s resume just because it would have 7 tier 1 wins
Bahahahahahaha
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #248
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Ok, let's try some public transparent moderation of the above post. I moved it here from the bracketology thread. Two issues:

1. It provides nothing of value to the topic.
2. The signature is immature (it is present on other posts too).

I think the post should be moved and a warning should be given to remove the signature. Ignoring the warning will result in deletion of posts or a short term ban.

I haven't done anything yet except move the post here. I'd like to get some opinions from the board, including Catalysmo.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #249
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
or, people left because every thread was derailing into the same thing over and over and that grew tiresome.

and remember he was personally asked to be a mod because this place was falling apart.

other places don't let a few people turn every thread into the same thing, they just ban them. this place didn't ban anybody.
Uh BS I got my first account banned over disagreeing with an old mod Jacob. So that’s not true at all. This board dying had nothing to do with lack of moderation
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #250
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Uh BS I got my first account banned over disagreeing with an old mod Jacob. So that’s not true at all. This board dying had nothing to do with lack of moderation

i mean you got banned when the moderation was strong years ago. also when the board was really strong.

so...

this place used to be more strict but it hasn't been that way for a while. Jacob left cause it was stressing him out way too much.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote