Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #141
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
hmm what's a defense that protects against fouls & protects the paint... oh it also happens to be really effective against teams who can't shoot.

Did we play one possession to test it out? Nope.

Did we try something else? NOPE

Did our guys look gassed and we insisted on a pointless press that literally does nothing except wear our own guys out?
It was odd that he didn’t even try to change anything. It was like he was making a statement but I hope that wasn’t the case. Too late in the season to be making statements
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #142
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
It doesn't matter what Jarron asked for, that is the position he is in, he doesn't need to pound his chest and jump around but the dude is lazy sometimes. He was lazy sometimes with Mick, but Mick knew how to hide Jarron. Mick also recruited Jarron and coached Jarron for 3 years. Brannen has coached Jarron 8 months most of which he was hurt. Its no secret they don't like each other, its really not. But you always make this a Jarron vs Brannen thing.... Literally not one person has said its more Jarron's fault than Brannen's… Its on both of them equally. Its on Brannen for continuously putting the ball in Jarron hands when he isn't finishing late in the game, its on Jarron for not boxing out and throwing lazy passes.
Collectively on 2 message boards, people are way more willing to put this loss and frankly this disaster of a season on Jarron Cumberland.

People act like Jarron Doesn't try. The dude is the least athletic on the court and has come up with some game saving blocks. Last night he had one.

I mean, he never got into game shape. So you asking him to pressure defensively for 94 feet, handle the ball from tip to finish, make plays for every one on the team since they rarely score on their own, and then still have enough energy to box out.

I mean if were gonna talk about getting beat defensively... Tre Scott was abused last night. Our rim protection was awful, and he was beat to the rim a bunch of times.

I actually don't remember Jarron being off the dribble all that much last night. I remember us getting guys stuck under the rim and them still making it.

But I don't have the guts to go back and watch that disaster

And with no tourney this year, I don't expect one next year either.

I suspect this is the closest Brannen ever gets to being a top 50 defense in his career at cincinnati. I just hope the offense is good enough to over come it
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #143
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So Jarron, the guy making 0 dollars is taking the blame for this loss

But you guys think the guy making over a million a year shouldn’t take any?

Johnny Dawkins abused John Brannen last night. He exploited his aweful defensive system and made it look pitiful. Does Brannen adjust ? Nope. He’s as stubborn as our last coach
Yup, we see the same themes we saw early in the season. It's not like Dawkins invented some brand new way of beating our defense. It's the same way it's been all season; pull Vogt away from the basket with a big who can shoot threes, have other guys drive to the basket, get easy layups because we don't play help defense. Blame Vogt, blame the guys for getting beat off the dribble, but in the end you have to blame Brannen for refusing to adjust. It seems the only player we really focus on providing help to defensively is Vogt.

The other thing I complained about early in the season is also coming back to bite. Failing to develop our depth. We played multiple early season Q3/Q4 games where we won by 10+ and our starters played 30+ minutes.

Brannen's substitution patterns are also terrible. He puts in 3/4 subs sround the 14 minute mark of the first half and gives them 4/5 minutes, then plays the starters basically the entire second half. In addition our press and faster pace don't give guys the time to rest that Cronin's offense/defense did. I know we got mad at Cronin for pulling guys too quickly, but he at least gave the backups minutes and rested the starters. With our current rotation we aren't going anywhere in the tournament.

Yes Diarra makes mistakes, but he also makes some good plays and I'd guess his +- was close to even. Same is true for Davenport. Vogt on the other hand has been nullified on offense (it seems like teams have taken a page out of the Houston playbook of a quick, hard double and Vogt doesn't handle it well), doesn't rebound well and doesn't defend well, but Brannen gives him every minute he can.

You have to give Diarra, Harvey or Davenport minutes to give the other guys a rest.

If/when we lose another game (will be to WSU if we continue to play like we have lately), it's probably worth cutting way back on starters minutes and giving Davenport, Diarra and Harvey 15-20 minutes per game. At that point our only hope to make the NCAA tournament will be winning the AAC tournament anyway and to do that we need to develop our depth as much as possible. And if we don't make the NCAA tournament at least we will be getting guys ready for next year.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #144
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
It was odd that he didn’t even try to change anything. It was like he was making a statement but I hope that wasn’t the case. Too late in the season to be making statements
And considering that he has never been a good defensive coach, Id rather him be a guy who switches his style based on personnel and Based on game situation.

So far, he is absolutely unwilling to part ways from a defense that frankly doesn't work at this level.

Hell it didn't work at his old level.

I've said this before but at NKU, Brannen lost most of his games due to dreadful defensive effort and execution and then Free throws.

Seems familiar right. I said these things are trends with his coaching style. People brushed it off. Here we are 17-9 off the bubble because of poor defensive effort and poor free throw shooting.

Now you have to travel to frickin Texas, where 2 of the best team in the league have an advantage and try to be a bid stealer to ruin someone else's season who earned it.

Like I said..at least we get a few more home games potentially. BUT we better win the NIT
Old 02-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #145
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
And considering that he has never been a good defensive coach, Id rather him be a guy who switches his style based on personnel and Based on game situation.

So far, he is absolutely unwilling to part ways from a defense that frankly doesn't work at this level.

Hell it didn't work at his old level.

I've said this before but at NKU, Brannen lost most of his games due to dreadful defensive effort and execution and then Free throws.

Seems familiar right. I said these things are trends with his coaching style. People brushed it off. Here we are 17-9 off the bubble because of poor defensive effort and poor free throw shooting.

Now you have to travel to frickin Texas, where 2 of the best team in the league have an advantage and try to be a bid stealer to ruin someone else's season who earned it.

Like I said..at least we get a few more home games potentially. BUT we better win the NIT
You’re right about everything. Everyone should listen to everything you say. Are you ever wrong?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #146
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yup, we see the same themes we saw early in the season. It's not like Dawkins invented some brand new way of beating our defense. It's the same way it's been all season; pull Vogt away from the basket with a big who can shoot threes, have other guys drive to the basket, get easy layups because we don't play help defense. Blame Vogt, blame the guys for getting beat off the dribble, but in the end you have to blame Brannen for refusing to adjust. It seems the only player we really focus on providing help to defensively is Vogt.

The other thing I complained about early in the season is also coming back to bite. Failing to develop our depth. We played multiple early season Q3/Q4 games where we won by 10+ and our starters played 30+ minutes.

Brannen's substitution patterns are also terrible. He puts in 3/4 subs sround the 14 minute mark of the first half and gives them 4/5 minutes, then plays the starters basically the entire second half. In addition our press and faster pace don't give guys the time to rest that Cronin's offense/defense did. I know we got mad at Cronin for pulling guys too quickly, but he at least gave the backups minutes and rested the starters. With our current rotation we aren't going anywhere in the tournament.

Yes Diarra makes mistakes, but he also makes some good plays and I'd guess his +- was close to even. Same is true for Davenport. Vogt on the other hand has been nullified on offense (it seems like teams have taken a page out of the Houston playbook of a quick, hard double and Vogt doesn't handle it well), doesn't rebound well and doesn't defend well, but Brannen gives him every minute he can.

You have to give Diarra, Harvey or Davenport minutes to give the other guys a rest.

If/when we lose another game (will be to WSU if we continue to play like we have lately), it's probably worth cutting way back on starters minutes and giving Davenport, Diarra and Harvey 15-20 minutes per game. At that point our only hope to make the NCAA tournament will be winning the AAC tournament anyway and to do that we need to develop our depth as much as possible. And if we don't make the NCAA tournament at least we will be getting guys ready for next year.
After the last 5 games, probably not the best time for the diarra argument. Might want to save that for when he’s not the worst player on the floor.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #147
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Collectively on 2 message boards, people are way more willing to put this loss and frankly this disaster of a season on Jarron Cumberland.

People act like Jarron Doesn't try. The dude is the least athletic on the court and has come up with some game saving blocks. Last night he had one.

I mean, he never got into game shape. So you asking him to pressure defensively for 94 feet, handle the ball from tip to finish, make plays for every one on the team since they rarely score on their own, and then still have enough energy to box out.

I mean if were gonna talk about getting beat defensively... Tre Scott was abused last night. Our rim protection was awful, and he was beat to the rim a bunch of times.

I actually don't remember Jarron being off the dribble all that much last night. I remember us getting guys stuck under the rim and them still making it.

But I don't have the guts to go back and watch that disaster

And with no tourney this year, I don't expect one next year either.

I suspect this is the closest Brannen ever gets to being a top 50 defense in his career at cincinnati. I just hope the offense is good enough to over come it
So you’re saying Jarron is trying when he just doesn’t box out at all? Like I said, it’s ok to criticize a player for not playing well if they aren’t playing well. He gets a lot of criticism but also gets praise when he plays well. That’s comes with being the best player on the team. Whether he ask for it or not.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #148
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
As of right now this is all on the coach. He wasn't making adjustments on either end. He seems to think he's between a rock and a hard place with expecting effort...I get that...but it's his job to remedy the situation.

Why is it that we can get our back's against the wall and make comebacks? because we usually play harder and with more focus when that happens. That effort and focus has to be there for 40 minutes. It's the very reason we have had 7 OT games and 3 more within a 2 point bucket. If you only give max effort when the game is on the line...you will end up in close games every time.

That has to stop. It may already be too late. If we can't defend the ball we need to switch to zone...what other choice do we have? Our ball and player movement on offense has been bad...even though we are trying to play through Jarron. The other teams have figured out a plan a few games ago. Time for plan B.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #149
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To be fair, It’s hard to stay in front of good players. They why “help defense” is a thing, Brannen could have switched it up. Maybe after the 20th uncontested layup they made.
but they aren't good players. thats the thing. thats why i said those guys NEVER should have beat our guys off the bounce.

we have stopped much better players with the defense we ran last night.

people say zone zone zone. ucf has 2 sharp shooters and we couldn't stop any penetration. Milon is a 40% career 3 point shooter on over 500 attempts and Green is over 40% as a freshman and over 45% in conference.

the idea that ucf doesn't have shooters is flat out wrong.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #150
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
So you’re saying Jarron is trying when he just doesn’t box out at all? Like I said, it’s ok to criticize a player for not playing well if they aren’t playing well. He gets a lot of criticism but also gets praise when he plays well. That’s comes with being the best player on the team. Whether he ask for it or not.
I don't blame players for losses.

Especially college athletes.

Not my thing.