Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #161
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Take a look at our last 5 games on T-rank game score. Each of our games since WSU has gotten significantly worse. Seems like we are tired or uninspired. Brannen has to light a fire...and I am sure he has tried...but he needs a new strategy if we have any hope at all.

Every player should be required to look Tre in the eye and say...I promise to give the effort that you do from here on out. How does Tre get 21 rebounds? because he is not standing on two feet hoping the ball drops in his hands.

jarron got banged up in the WSU game. look at his last 4 games. early season jarron is back and early season UC is back.

jarron has to play well for us to do well. it was the case last year and it is the case this year. when he doesn't, we struggle.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #162
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Tre isn't getting beat for lack of effort. We are guarding too tight and they are all getting beat. We have no back up help at the rim. WTF are we doing? back off and let them shoot long 2's or 3's 5 feet behind the arc.
i think that is effort. walking right up to them instead of getting into a good defending position. its effort, mental fatigue, lack of focus. any or all of those things.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #163
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tre isn't getting beat for lack of effort. We are guarding too tight and they are all getting beat. We have no back up help at the rim. WTF are we doing? back off and let them shoot long 2's or 3's 5 feet behind the arc.
If Keith or Jarron only had to beat one man and then nobody else between them and the rim...they could do that all night. But the other teams collapse have help waiting and we rarely pass back out on drives like that except for times when we have to end up behind the backboard and have no outlet. When we run into 2 defenders at the rim after beating the guy guarding you...there should be 1 or 2 guys wide open. But we go in and get a charge call or put up some wild shot that has no chance of going in or get blocked or turn it over.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #164
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Sounds good in theory, but after the 5th, or 10th or 15th uncontested layup, you can't just dig in and say it should work, so I'm not changing. Our defense quite clearly wasn't working and I'd add that against teams with a 5 who can shoot and thus pull Vogt out of the paint, our defense rarely works.

As the coach, Brannen's job is to adjust. Maybe zone wouldn't have worked, but at least we wouldn't have continued to fail over and over in the exact same way. Brannen's job is to change things up - either the defense or the players playing it - until he finds something that works. Brannen - not for the first time this season - made no changes and once again it led to a loss.

what about the times vs houston, memphis, temple when he made no adjustments but the effort level went up and the defense shut those teams down the last 10 minutes.

we can't live in a world where those things didn't happen. you've seen your team finally get it right with the same exact defense against far better teams and players.

are we to say "ok coach, that worked against good teams, but you really need to try something different against these bad teams."
Old 02-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #165
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
You can't coach effort, but you can absolutely coach accountability. If a guy doesn't give effort, you take him out of the game. Even if that means putting in walk-on's to prove a point.

You can also change your scheme up to try to let your players rest during the game. Cronin at times went as far as having Cumberland stand at mid-court and the rest of the team play 4v4 to give Cumberland some on court rest. For Brannen, playing zone and cutting back on the full-court press would be some easy options.

The lack of depth is because Brannen didn't work to develop the depth early in the season and continues not to. I guess we could add in that he forced out Hardnett who could have provided some more depth.
Hardnett would be nothing more than another Davenport (who I love). But to say Hardnett would add that much more depth to this team is weird. He is barley doing anything at Buffalo. At the end of the day id rather have Harvey than Hardnett… Just my opinion of course. The biggest loss right now is Brooks, he was a great rim protector who saved a lot of defenders who got beat off the dribble, Vogt doesn't do that. In hindsight it would of been better to keep Hardnett and not bring in Sorolla.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #166
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
If Keith or Jarron only had to beat one man and then nobody else between them and the rim...they could do that all night. But the other teams collapse have help waiting and we rarely pass back out on drives like that except for times when we have to end up behind the backboard and have no outlet. When we run into 2 defenders at the rim after beating the guy guarding you...there should be 1 or 2 guys wide open. But we go in and get a charge call or put up some wild shot that has no chance of going in or get blocked or turn it over.

would look a bit different if we had 2 non perpetrators that were great shooters. imagine jaevin in all the time and then another jaevin. that would spread the defense out.

but as it is, if jarron has the ball, and jaevin isn't it, you dont need to defense outside at all. teams are sagging off preventing passes to Vogt. sagging off stopping drives. jaevin has 13 3's in his last 4 healthy games, but we have nobody else that can shoot.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #167
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think that is effort. walking right up to them instead of getting into a good defending position. its effort, mental fatigue, lack of focus. any or all of those things.
I can agree on some of this...but in the end...if you have one guy to beat the offensive guy has the advantage every time and should be able to make a play to get past. Let them shoot long 2's...we hate it when we have to shoot those. Let them take shots 5 feet behind the arc. We have some length but we don't have the foot speed
Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #168
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
would look a bit different if we had 2 non perpetrators that were great shooters. imagine jaevin in all the time and then another jaevin. that would spread the defense out.

but as it is, if jarron has the ball, and jaevin isn't it, you dont need to defense outside at all. teams are sagging off preventing passes to Vogt. sagging off stopping drives. jaevin has 13 3's in his last 4 healthy games, but we have nobody else that can shoot.
Amen on Jaevin...but he gets beat too. I would rather have him in if we are all going to get beat off the dribble. He doesn't even need to be open half the time to get off 10 shots and make 4.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #169
cincrulz11
Epic Member

real talk though. i never thought a team could just give it to Tre Scott's man and say go attack him and it would work.

like legit never thought that would be something we'd have to worry about.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #170
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Our rim protection was bad last night, but to me the biggest issue is turnovers have returned to what they were early in the season. Our average turnover rate in the last two games is 26.9, up from 16.6 in the previous seven games.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote