Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #191
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i mean do you think he doesn't teach effort all the time?

you know when you have to accept it? when you have 0 subs for the 4/5 spot. when you have 8 playable players on the roster (7 when diarra is playing like he's been playing).

brannen said after the game he wants to pull guys out for not boxing out, there just aren't any players to put in for them.
We have 4 guards who can play. Take the one out that is tired or not putting in the effort. They can each play 30 minutes. I don't worry about Tre giving effort or getting tired. Play him 36 minutes and sub him out for 2 half way through each half. If Vogt is not in foul trouble give him two 2 minute breaks each half before and after Tre goes out.

That is basically a 6 man rotation with spot breather minutes for the bigs. If we get in foul trouble...then things change a little. We can't bring in 3 bench players at a time.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #192
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
3 predictions for next year:

* top 3 worst defense in AAC play
* top 3 worst free throw shooting in AAC play
* worst rebounding team in the league next year

I hope I’m wrong.
You’re never wrong
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #193
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We have 4 guards who can play. Take the one out that is tired or not putting in the effort. They can each play 30 minutes. I don't worry about Tre giving effort or getting tired. Play him 36 minutes and sub him out for 2 half way through each half. If Vogt is not in foul trouble give him two 2 minute breaks each half before and after Tre goes out.

That is basically a 6 man rotation with spot breather minutes for the bigs. If we get in foul trouble...then things change a little. We can't bring in 3 bench players at a time.

who are the 4 guards that can rebound?

jarron is ok at best, keith is ok. the rest are terrible.

tre's numbers are incredible because there isn't another player on the roster that can defensive rebound. basically he gets it or nobody does.

and thats with or without Vogt. its really embarrassing.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #194
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

tre's numbers are incredible because there isn't another player on the roster that can defensive rebound. basically he gets it or nobody does.

I wasn't directing that at rebounding specifically...just giving effort. I am saying we can bench a player for dogging it and still have 3 decent guards on the court. Keith gets gassed a lot and either doesn't or can't hustle back at times. Jarron was caught watching on rebounds and sometimes he likes to stand and complain after he thinks he's fouled or gets the ball stolen while the other team races down the court.

I also watched MAW and Jarron in a very short time frame not grab a ball with two hands and tried to coral the ball with one hand on the dribble. Each play the defender just went and got it and went on a fast break. Both could have been avoided by simply grabbing the damn ball with both hands first. That's more of a fundamental thing but you can't get cute with a ball on the loose and defenders nearby.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #195
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Rebounding is effort. Anyone can rebound. As long as you can move. You just box out and run after the ball. Not rocket science.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #196
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I wasn't directing that at rebounding specifically...just giving effort. I am saying we can bench a player for dogging it and still have 3 decent guards on the court. Keith gets gassed a lot and either doesn't or can't hustle back at times. Jarron was caught watching on rebounds and sometimes he likes to stand and complain after he thinks he's fouled or gets the ball stolen while the other team races down the court.

I also watched MAW and Jarron in a very short time frame not grab a ball with two hands and tried to coral the ball with one hand on the dribble. Each play the defender just went and got it and went on a fast break. Both could have been avoided by simply grabbing the damn ball with both hands first. That's more of a fundamental thing but you can't get cute with a ball on the loose and defenders nearby.

i only referenced rebounding because thats what brannen specifically references when he said he'd bench guys if he could.

when mika went into the backcourt to get that one loose ball and UCF won the battle and got a dunk/layup out of it. keith was the closest guy besides the 2 that went after the loose ball. and he just stood and watched as UCF ran down the court. if keith even jogs back, we get that loose ball.

that stuff just can't happen when you're fighting for your tournament life. there is no tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #197
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Rebounding is effort. Anyone can rebound. As long as you can move. You just box out and run after the ball. Not rocket science.
well none of them do it. which i think is kinda brannens point. you give effort like that and you get benched. but he doesn't have anybody to come in and give good effort.

pretty sad.

harvey and davenport came in, gave up boards and instantly got sent back to the bench. same for diarra. i mean thats basically the entire bench.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #198
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
well none of them do it. which i think is kinda brannens point. you give effort like that and you get benched. but he doesn't have anybody to come in and give good effort.

pretty sad.

harvey and davenport came in, gave up boards and instantly got sent back to the bench. same for diarra. i mean thats basically the entire bench.
I’m partly with you. Only part I disagree with is, brannen has to change something in the game if nothing working. That game was must win. That’s his job.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #199
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
3 predictions for next year:

* top 3 worst defense in AAC play
* top 3 worst free throw shooting in AAC play
* worst rebounding team in the league next year

I hope I’m wrong.
I don't expect a great deal next year from our team but it will be interesting to see what happens in the following year as we get some Brannen players move into Junior and soph seasons. I am expecting for him to be able to go deeper into the bench with players who are still capable of scoring. So we can keep fresh legs on the court (for D) and keep our effort up without losing scoring pop.

To play his style we need to be at least 8 deep if not 9. We need a solid transfer big as well. A guy who can rebound and defend. I am not sure we will be 8 or 9 deep with quality next year. But I hope to see it start to develop for the following season. Brannen will have to put something good together by the time his current frosh are seniors. That is my leash for him unless it becomes apparent it's spiraling out of control which I do not expect.

I keep forgetting about Prince. I hope he can play and act as a short PF. He was billed as a rebounder with ability to score around the rim on either side. If he can hit a 3 he can add some depth.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #200
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’m partly with you. Only part I disagree with is, brannen has to change something in the game if nothing working. That game was must win. That’s his job.
we can go back and forth on that but i think its pretty clear they never practice zone defense. and when they do its a gimmicky 1-3-1.

the defense has gone from looking awful to getting a lot of stops in multiple games this season. without changing anything. effort went up and defense got much better.

just "switching something" does not guarantee a better outcome. there seems to be the assumption that it does.

we gave up 13 points the last 10 minutes of regulation. its not likely any other defense gives up less points than that, and we likely don't even get to OT by switching things up.