Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #211
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The problem with the defense is that it only works in spurts.

UCF had 23 points at the roughly 10 minute mark in the first half, it put them on Pace for 92 points, but we buckled down, finished the half strong, then we just let it get worse and worse as the games progresses.

I mean, I've never seen a team play such good defense for 25 seconds, only to break down in the last seconds and allow an uncontested layup.

The defense isn't confusing. It doesn't require you to think. Its basically relying on one on one defense and in basketball, everyone wants that match.

Houston has a gimmick. They have great shot blockers. Yet they double every post touch. It doesn't matter if you're Chris Vogt, Tacko Fall or frickin Jay Sorolla. IF you catch it in the post against Houston, they immediately double.

It causes the big to over think his next move. And its why they are the best team in the league.

And until Kelvin Sampson either leaves or takes another job, I can't see him a scenario where UC is king of the league again.

Its funny that John Brannen noted his idea player was Keith Williams. And yet, has even tried to recruit a player like Keith to cincinnati?
I think a lot of people misquote what Brannen was saying about Keith. I believe it was more along the lines of "If I had to draw a player up he would look like Keith". I think Harvey and Gabe are more along the same lines of Keith's body and skill type than they are Cumberland. They are kind of long and lanky with slashing ability and some ball skills. Brannen wants his wing players to catch the ball in the motion offense and do something with it right away...shoot, pass, or put the ball on the ground and go make a play.

One of those two will be playing along side Keith on the wing and they are all three 6'5" and can handle the rock a little, can shoot a little, can slash a little. Keith may have a little more in terms of raw athleticism but they are pretty close in many other aspects. It's not like you can just go out and get a clone. Gabe will be a better shooter and play maker IMO before it's all over.

So not only has he recruited them...he has landed two of them

Last edited by waterhead; 02-20-2020 at 02:15 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #212
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Zach Harvey was never scouted to be an uber athletic guy.

He is a smooth athlete but nothing like Keith Williams
you're being way too specific. long athletic wings, thats who brannen wants. keith and zach both fit that mold.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #213
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Eason? Saunders?
no no we are looking for 6'5 wings from brooklyn that can jump high.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #214
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Zach Harvey was never scouted to be an uber athletic guy.

He is a smooth athlete but nothing like Keith Williams
We are good on guards and wings. We have Keith for another year, we have maw, pretty athletic. We have guards coming in. And brannen hasn’t even had the job for a year. Not much need to get another Keith Williams right now. We need bigs
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #215
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Name also has to be Keith
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #216
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ohhhh right.... makes sense.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #217
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Haha...

Will they be required to score? I am working on a list for CJB.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #218
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yup, we see the same themes we saw early in the season. It's not like Dawkins invented some brand new way of beating our defense. It's the same way it's been all season; pull Vogt away from the basket with a big who can shoot threes, have other guys drive to the basket, get easy layups because we don't play help defense. Blame Vogt, blame the guys for getting beat off the dribble, but in the end you have to blame Brannen for refusing to adjust. It seems the only player we really focus on providing help to defensively is Vogt.

The other thing I complained about early in the season is also coming back to bite. Failing to develop our depth. We played multiple early season Q3/Q4 games where we won by 10+ and our starters played 30+ minutes.

Brannen's substitution patterns are also terrible. He puts in 3/4 subs sround the 14 minute mark of the first half and gives them 4/5 minutes, then plays the starters basically the entire second half. In addition our press and faster pace don't give guys the time to rest that Cronin's offense/defense did. I know we got mad at Cronin for pulling guys too quickly, but he at least gave the backups minutes and rested the starters. With our current rotation we aren't going anywhere in the tournament.

Yes Diarra makes mistakes, but he also makes some good plays and I'd guess his +- was close to even. Same is true for Davenport. Vogt on the other hand has been nullified on offense (it seems like teams have taken a page out of the Houston playbook of a quick, hard double and Vogt doesn't handle it well), doesn't rebound well and doesn't defend well, but Brannen gives him every minute he can.

You have to give Diarra, Harvey or Davenport minutes to give the other guys a rest.

If/when we lose another game (will be to WSU if we continue to play like we have lately), it's probably worth cutting way back on starters minutes and giving Davenport, Diarra and Harvey 15-20 minutes per game. At that point our only hope to make the NCAA tournament will be winning the AAC tournament anyway and to do that we need to develop our depth as much as possible. And if we don't make the NCAA tournament at least we will be getting guys ready for next year.
So much of that happened without Vogt in the game. He got beat plenty on help D, but again, far more to do with the other guys
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #219
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Haha...

Will they be required to score? I am working on a list for CJB.
obviously the ideal player im sure is keith athleticism with jaevin shooting.

im not really sure which way he wants to lean since that type of player is an extreme rarity.

im betting he would settle on a little less athletic than keith but a better shooter.

he probably wants what dayton has now. 3 guys between 6'1 and 6'5 all shooting 37% or better from 3. i have to believe that is the ideal guard/wing for john brannen.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #220
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
obviously the ideal player im sure is keith athleticism with jaevin shooting.

im not really sure which way he wants to lean since that type of player is an extreme rarity.

im betting he would settle on a little less athletic than keith but a better shooter.

he probably wants what dayton has now. 3 guys between 6'1 and 6'5 all shooting 37% or better from 3. i have to believe that is the ideal guard/wing for john brannen.
I was going to suggest Uber skilled vs uber athletic would be his choice if he had to pick. Obviously he needs a little of both on the wing.