Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #231
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing keith get more looks, and take it to the rack more. Gotta have the legs tho. Tre and jarron been playing pretty well putting the team in position for a bid, practically saving the season im not really understanding the questioning of them as much as why in the hell are we playing so many overtime games this yr?.. Jc 2 for what 9 10 from 3? Seems to be pretty gassd right now he still put up something in the stat book, but you can def book it we gone def miss him next yr. Probably not gonna hit me we not in the tournament until them brackets are complete its ashame, was really excited about this yrs original team would of dominated this conf could of been top 10. College ball is down this yr more wide open than its been. Scoring used to be the only problem at times but yea, that davenport kid is certainly a lot of spunk and intensity but im just not seeing much there. Probably would rather have hardnett
Hardnett didn’t leave because of Davenport, they have nothing to do with each other. He left because of Harvey. A top 60 talent. You make that trade every time. Still confusing why people long for Logan and Hardnett. They aren’t good. At least right now. And if they are an improvement to this roster, it’s minimal at best.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:35 AM   #232
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Looking at the synergy numbers we are poor in these aspects defensively:

Transition
Isolation
Spot up jumpers
Offensive rebound putbacks

Looking at synergy, which is likely what Dawkins used to scout UC, it’s clear he saw his biggest advantage was to isolate and drive. And it worked.
What did Dawkins do that was that original. I’ve seen you say he out coached brannen, which could very well be true but he didn’t do anything groundbreaking. He switch to a zone every couple possessions and ran a pick and roll the whole game. Wow. It’s more of brannen didn’t do anything to counter. Dawkins wasn’t amazing
Old 02-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #233
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Brannen, mick, and any other coach knows 100 times more about basketball than anyone on here. But they aren’t perfect and each have their own philosophy. The hope is you can get the right players to run and understand that philosophy. The first year of brannen has been went downhill for some reason. Hopefully he can turn it around because if we have to get a new coach in a couple years, that’s now good for anyone. People on here will be able to say they were right but that would mean the program is in a bad place.

Having said that, I don’t know why he wouldn’t run a 2-3 zone. 2-3 is something you start running in 3rd grade and something that everyone knows. It’s not complicated. It’s basically saying, we are going to let you shoot and we dare you to make it. It would also give the guys a bit of a break. Someone should ask him at the radio show or press conference. Interested in what he’s say

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-21-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #234
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post

Having said that, I don’t know why he wouldn’t run a 2-3 zone. 2-3 is something you start running in 3rd grade and something that everyone knows. It’s not complicated. It’s basically saying, we are going to let you shoot and we dare you to make it. It would also give the guys a bit of a break. Someone should ask him at the radio show or press conference. Interested in what he’s say

2 great 3 point shooters. that might have had something to do with it. now he probably wouldn't have gone to a 2-3, but he didn't even try to 1-3-1, and its probably because they have 2 great 3 point shooters.

imagine having 2 jaevins, but 2 shooters better than jaevin. thats what ucf has.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:09 AM   #235
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
2 great 3 point shooters. that might have had something to do with it. now he probably wouldn't have gone to a 2-3, but he didn't even try to 1-3-1, and its probably because they have 2 great 3 point shooters.

imagine having 2 jaevins, but 2 shooters better than jaevin. thats what ucf has.
They still have to make the shot. He hasn’t ran a 2-3 once this year. There is more to it than they have great shooters
Old 02-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #236
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
They still have to make the shot. He hasn’t ran a 2-3 once this year. There is more to it than they have great shooters
i mean yeah he hasn't ran the 2-3 at all.

but he probably didn't go to the only zone defense we do try because they had 2 great shooters.

and again lets not forget ucf scored 13 points the last 10 minutes of regulation. thats the only reason we even got it to OT.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #237
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Y’all can make jokes but Keith and Zach Harvey aren’t at all the same kinda athlete.

Nate Hinton and Keith are the same.
Quentin rose and Keith are similar

Keith Williams is an off the charts athlete. He’s like the kid that went to Kentucky diallo.

Zach is smooth athlete who is good at everything but amazing at none. He was top 50 because he had a well rounded game.

Keith is amazing at one thing. Jumping. He should be an elite lock down defender but is not...he can be. He can fly to the rack but shows little judgement in doing so too often. Jarron Cumberland does a lot more with a lot less athleticism. Because he has more BB IQ. He understands how to get defenders off balance and take advantage of that...and he can shoot. If Gabe Madsen can do all the things Keith can do and shows higher BB IQ, better shooting etc...but lacks a little pop in his step...I will take that every day. SK was another limited athlete who just knew how to play the game. He nor Jarron had killer ball skills or could jump very high.

I love Keith and I would not trade him out...but elite hops only get you so far if you don't understand how to control your drives to the lane. He doesn't have an ankle breaker cross over...his one move is a straight line to the base line which is only open a fraction of the time because that is where the D is okay with him going. He uses the occasional step back but too often it's for a long 2 instead of a 3 or a short range 2.

In Keiths 3rd year he is still only the 3rd or 4th option on the team. Next year will likely be different but Jarron was POY in his junior year. Jarron can barely dunk a BB at 6'5". A slow mid major backup transfer center became the 2nd option. Tre has been making a solid case for 3rd option.

We can feature Keith next year but I am not sure how consistent he will be. I hope he kills it and gets to go to the league!

Last edited by waterhead; 02-21-2020 at 08:01 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #238
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Keith is amazing at one thing. Jumping. He should be an elite lock down defender but is not
keith isn't a lock down defender cause he has stiff hips. he's good in a straight line and explosive as a jumper. but he doesn't turn, which prevents him from being an elite lock down defender.

and its why a guy like harvey can be one. maybe not as explosive, but he's extremely fluid and can stay with guys.

the guys in the nba have keiths explosiveness and are fluid athletes.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #239
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Keith is amazing at one thing. Jumping. He should be an elite lock down defender but is not...he can be. He can fly to the rack but shows little judgement in doing so too often. Jarron Cumberland does a lot more with a lot less athleticism. Because he has more BB IQ. He understands how to get defenders off balance and take advantage of that...and he can shoot. If Gabe Madsen can do all the things Keith can do and shows higher BB IQ, better shooting etc...but lacks a little pop in his step...I will take that every day. SK was another limited athlete who just knew how to play the game. He nor Jarron had killer ball skills or could jump very high.

I love Keith and I would not trade him out...but elite hops only get you so far if you don't understand how to control your drives to the lane. He doesn't have an ankle breaker cross over...his one move is a straight line to the base line which is only open a fraction of the time because that is where the D is okay with him going. He uses the occasional step back but too often it's for a long 2 instead of a 3 or a short range 2.

In Keiths 3rd year he is still only the 3rd or 4th option on the team. Next year will likely be different but Jarron was POY in his junior year. Jarron can barely dunk a BB at 6'5". A slow mid major backup transfer center became the 2nd option. Tre has been making a solid case for 3rd option.

We can feature Keith next year but I am not sure how consistent he will be. I hope he kills it and gets to go to the league!

Get ready for a lot more tie ups and Keith's layups getting blocked
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #240
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i mean yeah he hasn't ran the 2-3 at all.

but he probably didn't go to the only zone defense we do try because they had 2 great shooters.

and again lets not forget ucf scored 13 points the last 10 minutes of regulation. thats the only reason we even got it to OT.
So you’re whole strategy is to do something that hasn’t worked for 30 minutes and hope the players increase the effort? Your strategy is hope? As opposed to trying to change something? Just trying to get on the same page.