Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #291
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You’ve said numerous times times you are supportive of brannen but every time there is a bump in the road, you bring up UCLA’s success or talking about why he isn’t a great coach.

You’ve also said to not blame Jarron because he’s hurt but you still continue to hold the fact the Jarron is hurt against brannen. How would have mick done with a hurt Jarron? Honestly. You can’t have it both ways. Either he’s hurt or not. If he is, like you said, that not brannen fault.
We've talked about Cronin plenty when there weren't bumps in the road. Cronin is UC's former coach, many of us are interested to see how he does (whether we are hoping for him to succeed or fail), those who dislike Cronin consistently brought up every Cronin loss early in the year.

Every team has bumps in the road, I am confident this team would be top 25 if Cronin were still here, regardless of Jarron's injury or lack there of - though Nysier Brooks still being here would be the biggest factor. Brannen is supposed to be a great offensive mind, so he should be able to find other guys way to score.

The lack of effort that seems to be plaguing this team lately isn't just Jarron. Maybe with Jarron healthy we squeak out a couple more wins, but the fact is we shouldn't be letting Q3 teams stay close regardless of Jarron's health.

We still have time to turn it around, UCLA still has time to blow it. But looking at the last 10 games, it's hard to think UCLA isn't the better team. Cronin went to a team known for not giving effort or playing D and is now getting both effort and defense at a high-level (though it did take him a while), Brannen came to a team known for giving constant effort and defense and is now getting neither at a high level.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #292
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
We've talked about Cronin plenty when there weren't bumps in the road. Cronin is UC's former coach, many of us are interested to see how he does (whether we are hoping for him to succeed or fail), those who dislike Cronin consistently brought up every Cronin loss early in the year.

Every team has bumps in the road, I am confident this team would be top 25 if Cronin were still here, regardless of Jarron's injury or lack there of - though Nysier Brooks still being here would be the biggest factor. Brannen is supposed to be a great offensive mind, so he should be able to find other guys way to score.

The lack of effort that seems to be plaguing this team lately isn't just Jarron. Maybe with Jarron healthy we squeak out a couple more wins, but the fact is we shouldn't be letting Q3 teams stay close regardless of Jarron's health.

We still have time to turn it around, UCLA still has time to blow it. But looking at the last 10 games, it's hard to think UCLA isn't the better team. Cronin went to a team known for not giving effort or playing D and is now getting both effort and defense at a high-level (though it did take him a while), Brannen came to a team known for giving constant effort and defense and is now getting neither at a high level.
First off, it’s a different team. We don’t have brooks or a healthy Jarron. From what I’m told. Also, it’s odd that you think this team would definitely be a top 25 team this year, with or without Jarron. He was healthy as a horse last year and we were barely a finge top 25 team. The fact is if Jarron is healthy we at least win 2 of the 4 quad 3 losses. Maybe all 4 and it’s not even a discussion.

I agree, the effort is terrible and we aren’t good right now. My point is, you can’t give Jarron a pass for not boxing out and turnovers because he’s hurt, then not take that into consideration when talking about the teams success. He’s pretty good when healthy. He makes a world of difference when he’s healthy.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 02-21-2020 at 11:57 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #293
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not the best analogy, but not terrible. I would say decent.
Is Jarron hurt?
I’m assuming he is hurt.

But That had nothing to do with our teams collective defense and defensive strategy.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #294
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
First off, it’s a different team. We don’t have brooks or a healthy Jarron. From what I’m told. Also, it’s odd that you think this team would definitely be a top 25 team this year, with or without Jarron. He was healthy as a horse last year and we were barely a finge top 25 team. The fact is if Jarron is healthy we at least win 2 of the 4 quad 3 losses. Maybe all 4 and it’s not even a discussion.

I agree, the effort is terrible and we aren’t good right now. My point is, you can’t give Jarron a pass for not boxing out and turnovers because he’s hurt, then not take that into consideration when talking about the teams success. He’s pretty good when healthy. He makes a world of difference when he’s healthy.
Well if the question is would this exact team be top 25 with Cronin, then we are still off in the realm of speculation as some of the guys on the team (the most obvious example being Vogt) would not be played by Cronin.

So we'd be playing small ball lineups with Scott at the 5 and Diarra as his backup. Maybe that would work better than our current lineups, maybe it wouldn't, who knows. I have no doubt that regardless we'd be seeing a lot more effort, defense and rebounding out of everyone not named Scott than we have gotten under Brannen.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #295
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’m assuming he is hurt.

But That had nothing to do with our teams collective defense and defensive strategy.
It definitely would make the team a lot better if he was healthy. Do you agree? Coach looks a lot better when your best player is healthy. Would you agree?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #296
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Brannen isn't even running his preferred offensive system anymore because his best player didn't fit it very well. I think the adjustments made to get Jarron more involved have worked out pretty well.

When CJB has all his pieces in place he can run everything he wants and get every player involved. It will be back to motion offense. I am guessing his bench will be deeper with talent because he is not opposed to "recruiting over" a player or using grad transfers. So he will be able to bench a player for lack of effort and replace him with a capable scorer with fresh legs.

The best players will be on the floor not the most tenured veteran. This process will take more than this year or next to reach a high level. We had a chance this year but he's got limited options right now. Maybe he can still pull a rabbit out of a hat
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #297
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Glad you could join.

See Im out here recruiting for bearcattalk

Even if it’s to fight with me.

They call that user engagement by any means necessary
Glad to be here. I just ask you to take a high level look at all the circumstances when you make your declarative statements on CJB. He has a lot to prove, but I don't think it's fair or acceptable to be as distraught as you appear to be.
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #298
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Brannen isn't even running his preferred offensive system anymore because his best player didn't fit it very well. I think the adjustments made to get Jarron more involved have worked out pretty well.

When CJB has all his pieces in place he can run everything he wants and get every player involved. It will be back to motion offense. I am guessing his bench will be deeper with talent because he is not opposed to "recruiting over" a player or using grad transfers. So he will be able to bench a player for lack of effort and replace him with a capable scorer with fresh legs.

The best players will be on the floor not the most tenured veteran. This process will take more than this year or next to reach a high level. We had a chance this year but he's got limited options right now. Maybe he can still pull a rabbit out of a hat
Cronin typically goes 7-deep and still manages to get effort out of players. The being unable to put somebody else in seems more like an excuse of Brannen's not reality. There are other guys to put in, you have to trust them to do well enough and count on the improved play of rested players balancing it out.

I'm willing to give Brannen some time, but it's disappointing when last spring before Cronin left we were predicted to be a top 25 team and quite possibly a protected NCAA tournament seed. Now barring us turning it around very quickly (which is possible, but we can't play last we have the last 4 games) we are looking to 2022 for our next NCAA tournament - and a new coach/rebuild if Brannen can't get us there in 2022.

Who knows, maybe our energy levels and effort completely flip starting Sunday and we make the NCAA tournament this year. I'll be happy with that, though the inconsistency in play will still have me concerned.

As for grad transfers, hopefully he does better than he did this year if he's going to rely on grad transfers - though I believe he has stated he prefers not to recruit grad transfers. The only grad transfer of our three who has done semi-well is Jaevin and he still hasn't lived up to the hype.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #299
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Cronin typically goes 7-deep and still manages to get effort out of players. The being unable to put somebody else in seems more like an excuse of Brannen's not reality. There are other guys to put in, you have to trust them to do well enough and count on the improved play of rested players balancing it out.

I'm willing to give Brannen some time, but it's disappointing when last spring before Cronin left we were predicted to be a top 25 team and quite possibly a protected NCAA tournament seed. Now barring us turning it around very quickly (which is possible, but we can't play last we have the last 4 games) we are looking to 2022 for our next NCAA tournament - and a new coach/rebuild if Brannen can't get us there in 2022.

Who knows, maybe our energy levels and effort completely flip starting Sunday and we make the NCAA tournament this year. I'll be happy with that, though the inconsistency in play will still have me concerned.

As for grad transfers, hopefully he does better than he did this year if he's going to rely on grad transfers - though I believe he has stated he prefers not to recruit grad transfers. The only grad transfer of our three who has done semi-well is Jaevin and he still hasn't lived up to the hype.
No one is saying it isn’t disappointing but it’s a different team with a different coach. It isn’t going to translate perfectly. To say cronin would take this team with a hurt Jarron, to the tourney is questionable.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #300
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Concerning grad transfers he won't be behind the 8 ball this year. They have probably identified prospects and gauged interest already one way or another. Jaevin was a steal and he has made 3's at a respectable rate considering the line moved back and he moved up a level.

I think JB should get away from the pre-scheduled goon squad lineup change and apply substitutions only as needed. Specifically when a player is tired or lacking effort. I would agree with you that he should be able to use the bench for not boxing out etc. But Cronin was going to his bench (that he recruited specifically) and he could insert a player who fit his defense. Brannen can't use the bench to insert a player and keep his offense up to speed. He will in the future be able to use the bench and still not skip a beat. Just like Cronin didn't skip beats because he had athletes that could play his D.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote