Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #161
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Agree, he needs to do better, and the players need to also do better. Stop throwing the other team the ball would be a great start.
Some players get better in the crunch time and some get worse. Our decision making a lot of the time is not good. The shots we take. The players who take them. The players who put the ball on the ground that shouldn't etc. Brannen needs to tighten it up in crunch time and value the ball first and foremost. That means he needs to let the players know who and when and where they can shoot or dribble etc. Jaevin needs to take more makeable shots. Jarron can't dribble through 3 defenders. Williams has to stay under control and have an outlet if his drive is stymied. Scott should not put the ball on the ground very often. Etc etc. I also don't like Jarron giving up the ball with under 7 seconds left unless it is a kickout to a wide open player. He's more than capable of getting off a decent shot on his own. We have to stop kicking it out to McNeal for the last second 3 ball. Right now it seems almost any shot would be better than that.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #162
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think CJB would like to let things play out and let the players make decisions on the fly because he thinks it's easier to get an open look that way. Makes sense...but certain players are not doing a good job with decisions in the crunch so something has to change. Late game the ball has to be in the hands of the best decision makers and right now we don't have a lot of them.

Gary Clark was very good at this knowing when to shoot or pass. Jarron was very good at this.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:28 AM   #163
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Some players get better in the crunch time and some get worse. Our decision making a lot of the time is not good. The shots we take. The players who take them. The players who put the ball on the ground that shouldn't etc. Brannen needs to tighten it up in crunch time and value the ball first and foremost. That means he needs to let the players know who and when and where they can shoot or dribble etc. Jaevin needs to take more makeable shots. Jarron can't dribble through 3 defenders. Williams has to stay under control and have an outlet if his drive is stymied. Scott should not put the ball on the ground very often. Etc etc. I also don't like Jarron giving up the ball with under 7 seconds left unless it is a kickout to a wide open player. He's more than capable of getting off a decent shot on his own. We have to stop kicking it out to McNeal for the last second 3 ball. Right now it seems almost any shot would be better than that.
You have to play 5 players and the ones that are giving the other team the ball are our older guys. Not sure what he can do to prevent the turnovers beside slow the game down to a stop and hold the ball for 25 seconds.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #164
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I think CJB would like to let things play out and let the players make decisions on the fly because he thinks it's easier to get an open look that way. Makes sense...but certain players are not doing a good job with decisions in the crunch so something has to change. Late game the ball has to be in the hands of the best decision makers and right now we don't have a lot of them.

Gary Clark was very good at this knowing when to shoot or pass. Jarron was very good at this.
We have one guy that is capable of that and trying to install a system that is based on ball movement and sharing the ball. Does he scrap everything for this year. I think that would be shortsighted for the program. I think he's trying to find a balance. It's just not working.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #165
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
We have one guy that is capable of that and trying to install a system that is based on ball movement and sharing the ball. Does he scrap everything for this year. I think that would be shortsighted for the program. I think he's trying to find a balance. It's just not working.
I am simply talking about late game close game stuff. He can run his standard stuff for 75% of the game...but if it's close...yes we need to slow it down and make good decisions. Turnovers are a major killer at that point in time when you are trying to win a game that is within a few possessions. His players need to recognize this or he has to limit their decision making IMO.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #166
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
I am simply talking about late game close game stuff. He can run his standard stuff for 75% of the game...but if it's close...yes we need to slow it down and make good decisions. Turnovers are a major killer at that point in time when you are trying to win a game that is within a few possessions. His players need to recognize this or he has to limit their decision making IMO.
I love the "Jarron Iso show" late in the game. I said a couple games ago to use that down stretch. For whatever reason, he does not do that.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #167
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love the "Jarron Iso show" late in the game. I said a couple games ago to use that down stretch. For whatever reason, he does not do that.
We saw a glimpse of it for like 5 minutes against Tulane when it looked like old Jarron was going to take over the last 10 minutes and then all of a sudden it was gone.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #168
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Jaevin gives us nothing unless he is making shots and right now he is not. He doesn't really get to the basket, he's not a great defender, he doesn't rebound. As much as I love Jaevin, when he is not hitting shots he is as useless as McNeal. We basically play 4 on 5 on offense with McNeal in the game, unless McNeal is driving to the basket he should never shoot.

Also Brannens line up's late in the games are very questionable... Around the 7 minute mark we had Chris McNeal, Diarra, Scott, Davenport and Jaevin on the floor together.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #169
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Jaevin gives us nothing unless he is making shots and right now he is not. He doesn't really get to the basket, he's not a great defender, he doesn't rebound. As much as I love Jaevin, when he is not hitting shots he is as useless as McNeal. We basically play 4 on 5 on offense with McNeal in the game, unless McNeal is driving to the basket he should never shoot.

Also Brannens line up's late in the games are very questionable... Around the 7 minute mark we had Chris McNeal, Diarra, Scott, Davenport and Jaevin on the floor together.
Unfortunately with shooters you have to put them out there to make shots and you can't predict if they will or won't. I agree on McNeal...he needs to facilitate and or get to the rack. I don't want him to be the outlet kickout right now. He's got to break down the defense somehow or go hide.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #170
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
We saw a glimpse of it for like 5 minutes against Tulane when it looked like old Jarron was going to take over the last 10 minutes and then all of a sudden it was gone.
Right now I think the perfect scenario would be run your offense for 30 minutes and if the game is still tight run the ISO Jarron game with 5-10 minutes left...or try to feed the ball to Vogt from Jarron. Acceptable kickout 3's would be MAW, Keith and Jaevin. McNeal is not an option for 3 and Scott should just get in position to rebound.