Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Blogs, News, and More > Bearcat News and Headlines > Bill Koch's Blog

Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Bearcat
Epic Member

Bearcat is on a distinguished road
What to do with Nippert Stadium?

One of the biggest questions in UC athletics these days is what to do with Nippert Stadium. Should you enlarge it? Should you put in premium seating? What can be done about the crowded concourse?But the bigger questions are about whether you should – or could – do any of those things is how to [...]

More...
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Build down and expand around the top as practicable.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
The key issue for an expanded Nippert (or possibly moving the games to PBS) is to generate more $$$. For Nippert, this means more seating, luxury boxes, seat licensing, improved concessions, restrooms, walkways, etc. I guess if you go the PBS route, we need to strike a better deal with the devil himself (pun intended).

Another key to stadium size as a whole is how attractive UC will be to a potential new conference suitor. Face it, to the superficial wonks out there, size matters. Heck, even UCF and ECU are in the plans to go over 50K. I know someone will respond by throwing out the size of Duke, Wake Forest or Vanderbilts stadium, but folks, we are not Duke or Vandy. Those schools have been long time members of their respective conferences and for many reasons, are not going to be tossed anytime soon.

I'd like to see the studies UC has in hand. These studies were supposedly to be released as early as last October, but I still have not seen anything. I read on another site that Mike Thomas spoke at the Caravan stop in Columbus that the new plan would max Nippert out at 45K. Will this be enough for a new conference suitor? Will this be enough for our growing fan base? What if we build to 45K now and then in 10 years when the program has reached its full potential we need to expand again?
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Lobot

Lobot will become famous soon enough
One thing I can tell you about this issue is that games at PBS will not happen unless it's a special event like OU this year. Mike Thomas and CBJ have both stated they have no intentions of playing games there because of the loss of a true home field advantage.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
The worst thing UC could do is tear down Nippert. They need to figure a way to expand it. Such a great atmosphere. Tear down around it as necessary. Nothing and nowhere they could build could equal the mystique and tradition of Nippert.