Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #271
Cwebster19

Cwebster19 is on a distinguished road
I love how someone is upset we’d consider a coach we’ve beaten. Would you have preferred losing to an Horizon team twice?

I really don’t understand then Nick Van Exel thing. Well, I kind of do. It’s great we’re so loyal to our people but the resume simply isn’t there. Unless you personally know the guy, could anyone here really tell me what a NVE coached team would look like?
Cwebster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #272
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
should we hire oscar? he's got as much relevant coaching experience as nick van exel. who cares what someone did as a player? what does that have to do with coaching? what makes nick van exel any more likely to succeed than so many other failures with similar profiles? it's hard for me to imagine that an up and coming coach is nearly as likely to bomb out as someone with no meaningful head coaching experience. nick van exel is going to keep the current roster together because he's cool or something?

the rest of this post, as a response to me, is straw man nonsense. i wanted to keep cronin. i've got posts from years ago saying we wouldn't do better when certain people wanted him out. i don't think bohn saw cronin as crucial. i don't like that approach. i don't want darren savino.
He has coached at the highest level of basketball. He has had a 13 year CAREER in BASKETBALL. Explain how all of that doesn't matter. Players can coach, former players have coached, bill Russell was a players coach jhonny Dawkins seems to be doing fine and if Oscar coached any at all, being as great as he was here and the stars aligned how they've done now YES I would hire him to coach UC basketball why should it happen anywhere else? Agree with the bohn thing that's why Mick's gone, and unfortunately I'm not sure what bohns level of expertise is as far as I'm concerned he's just a man with a job that requires a team to make decisions and could be thinking more financial right now than anything. The whole campus is cheap on payroll but that's another topic. Not to digress I thought Mick was good enough to win here he most def did but I honestly feel Nick can get something out of 18 yr olds while also convincing them to be here
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #273
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwebster19 View Post
I love how someone is upset we’d consider a coach we’ve beaten. Would you have preferred losing to an Horizon team twice?

I really don’t understand then Nick Van Exel thing. Well, I kind of do. It’s great we’re so loyal to our people but the resume simply isn’t there. Unless you personally know the guy, could anyone here really tell me what a NVE coached team would look like?
And no I wouldn't of perferred to lose to them it's just we played, not much of a travel. They had two tournament teams apparently and got waxed both times and besides it's not like they've been dominating the horizon. Mick got hired bc he branches of two hall of fame coaches... Hugs was an assistant at few strong places with very good success brannens 30 games over 500 in what 4 years with 2 tournament losses...
A NVE coached team could look fine why be negative about. Why can't he recurit 18 yr olds? What are his leadership deficiencies? And I'm sorry but yes a NVE team is a whole lot more energizing than a hire of anybody else that's been offered besides those who are proven it just is. Why not express loyalty to a guy who helped build this program. He played with and against Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal. Those alone are strong selling points

Last edited by JoeRunner89; 04-14-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #274
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
My top 5 of the rumored candidates are below. Overall, I think the list doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence n the future. I think McMahon is a solid coach who might be able to ride the Morant wave on the recruiting trail. He can at least claim to have coached a top 3 pick and has a tournament win under his belt. I am just not sold on Brannen...I think a lot of local media has a narrow focus on him because it’s easy and they are familiar.

1. Matt McMahon
2. Craig Smith
3. John Brannen
4. NVE
5. Bryce Drew
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #275
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
And no I wouldn't of perferred to lose to them it's just we played, not much of a travel. They had two tournament teams apparently and got waxed both times and besides it's not like they've been dominating the horizon. Mick got hired bc he branches of two hall of fame coaches... Hugs was an assistant at few strong places with very good success brannens 30 games over 500 in what 4 years with 2 tournament losses...
A NVE coached team could look fine why be negative about. Why can't he recurit 18 yr olds? What are his leadership deficiencies? And I'm sorry but yes a NVE team is a whole lot more energizing than a hire of anybody else that's been offered besides those who are proven it just is. Why not express loyalty to a guy who helped build this program. He played with and against Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal. Those alone are strong selling points
Just get over NVE. NVE has no recruiting connections at the college level and no head coaching experience. Having played in the NBA does not get the recruits fawning all over you. He's not Penny.

Look at Johnny Dawkins? You mean the guy who has coached for 11 years and only been to two NCAA tournaments and who's teams have consistently under-performed the last few years. I'd consider him more a failure then a success at this point.

Brannen was an assistant at Alabama and responsible for bringing in quite a few very good recruits. As for losing in the NCAA tournament, you realize that at that level just making it is a major accompaniment right? He has also won the conference regular season title twice.

NVE could do well, but you don't hire a guy just because you hope he could do well. You hire a guy because he has a proven track record at succeeding at what you are hiring him to do. NVE does not have a track record of recruiting, nor of head coaching. If he wants to coach here - or at any major college team - he needs to put some effort into it (go coach at a mid major for a few years and have success... I hear NKU might be hiring soon), not just expect to be hired because of his name.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #276
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Just get over NVE. NVE has no recruiting connections at the college level and no head coaching experience. Having played in the NBA does not get the recruits fawning all over you. He's not Penny.

Look at Johnny Dawkins? You mean the guy who has coached for 11 years and only been to two NCAA tournaments and who's teams have consistently under-performed the last few years. I'd consider him more a failure then a success at this point.

Brannen was an assistant at Alabama and responsible for bringing in quite a few very good recruits. As for losing in the NCAA tournament, you realize that at that level just making it is a major accompaniment right? He has also won the conference regular season title twice.

NVE could do well, but you don't hire a guy just because you hope he could do well. You hire a guy because he has a proven track record at succeeding at what you are hiring him to do. NVE does not have a track record of recruiting, nor of head coaching. If he wants to coach here - or at any major college team - he needs to put some effort into it (go coach at a mid major for a few years and have success... I hear NKU might be hiring soon), not just expect to be hired because of his name.
Again he's coached at the highest level WTH would he have to prove himself coaching mid majors when he's a 13 yr pro as well.. brannnen, all of those guys never played or coached in the NBA and your being delusional and hard headed if you actually think he doesn't have a good enough resume those guys have never done what he's done and have never played on the level he's played like pls this is really comedy. And look at a lot of coaches who've never won big, that's the whole point anyway, and now we wanna talk about just getting to the dance funny, when a host of fans wanted to fire Mick just for that same reason my god
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #277
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
My top 5 of the rumored candidates are below. Overall, I think the list doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence n the future. I think McMahon is a solid coach who might be able to ride the Morant wave on the recruiting trail. He can at least claim to have coached a top 3 pick and has a tournament win under his belt. I am just not sold on Brannen...I think a lot of local media has a narrow focus on him because it’s easy and they are familiar.

1. Matt McMahon
2. Craig Smith
3. John Brannen
4. NVE
5. Bryce Drew
Mchanon does intrigue me, the Morant thing is major without a doubt. I would have to say if not for Van Exel lmao... He would be the choice of this list of names but in the end we would be crossing our fingers just as much
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #278
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
in the end we would be crossing our fingers just as much
Eh, no...no we wouldn't.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #279
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Parrish reporting that Brannen has emerged as the favorite
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #280
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Rothstein and Goodman both say we're expected to hire Brannen.

I think this is probably our best option all things considered.

Now to just convince everyone to stay
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote