Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #1221
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
There is no way Cronin thought all of these guys could become stars. 25% of them had zero basketball skills. There is no way he thought they could go from that to developing in to stars in 4 years
Starters not stars. But a guy has to be able to become a starter before he can become a star. I think Cronin thought every guy he recruited could become a starter and might become a star.

Brannen seems much more willing to recruit guys who look like career role players and backups. Guys who have little potential to become a starter and virtually no potential to develop into stars.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #1222
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
You can combat being a 6’5 power forward with long arms, elite athleticism and a strong wide frame. Charles Barkley was like 6’4 but had near 7 ft wingspan, and a wide frame.

Also... There are different kinds of athleticism. Having a elite 2nd jump helps guys who are short because they can make their second jump quicker.

Prince looks to have pretty athleticism. I think he ends up being really good
I looked at a lot of pictures with Barkley standing next to Jordan. Some looked like one was taller than the other and vice versa. If Jordan was 6'6" then Barkley had to be at least 6'5.5". Or both were under.

What is funny (in some photos) is that when looking at the close up pics Barkley had shoulders higher than Mike. Then Mike had eyes higher than Barkley. Then Barkley would even it out again with his pointy dome...lol!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #1223
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Starters not stars. But a guy has to be able to become a starter before he can become a star. I think Cronin thought every guy he recruited could become a starter and might become a star.

Brannen seems much more willing to recruit guys who look like career role players and backups. Guys who have little potential to become a starter and virtually no potential to develop into stars.
Not sure I would go with career role players. I think Vogt is probably an exception for depth at the 5. But it's late in 2019. I don't think Davenport is looked at as a career role player even if that's what he becomes. Grad transfers would not qualify as career role players IMO.

Outside of Vogt I am not seeing that just yet. And he is only a 2 year backup plan at worst.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #1224
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Jermaine Lawrence or Quadri Moore would be nice right now
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:29 PM   #1225
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Why tho?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #1226
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
No they wouldnt....
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #1227
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Why tho?
Maybe kelvin Gaines or biggie
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #1228
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Maybe kelvin Gaines or biggie
Still nope. Feel free to keep trying tho
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #1229
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Still nope. Feel free to keep trying tho
Jamaree Strickland
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #1230
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not sure I would go with career role players. I think Vogt is probably an exception for depth at the 5. But it's late in 2019. I don't think Davenport is looked at as a career role player even if that's what he becomes. Grad transfers would not qualify as career role players IMO.

Outside of Vogt I am not seeing that just yet. And he is only a 2 year backup plan at worst.
Yeah I think Davenport develops into a solid starter and possibly a star. I'm thinking more of the guys we've been recruiting, but final judgement won't be until we actually start signing guys.

I'd say Vogt, Sorrola and Iorio are all career backup/role player types. Vogt could be an exception because he is from NKU and Sorolla because he is just a one year place-holder. But if we get Sorolla and Iorio it's starting to look like a trend. But who knows maybe we will get Coleman and another athletic guy and the trend looks completely different. Still early to really make judgements, but it's basketball dead season so I've got nothing better to do then look for trends in very small data sets.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote