Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #141
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,268
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
your usage rate is going to be high when you refuse to make the right play and shoot instead.


cumberland would always make the correct basketball play. keith tries to get his no matter the situation. and he doesn't have the talent to get his any time he wants.
We have seen Brannen dial in Eason already. He had 4 TO's in game one...which has clearly been addressed. In game 3 he was given the chance to start if he just focused on D and rebounding, assists, and taking what is given on offense.

It worked! I don't see any reason right now not to do that with Keith and Rap. I would shut Rap down almost exactly as he did with Eason. Focus on rebounding and assists and take what is given on offense. No more play making from beyond the 3 point line...and limit 3 balls. With Keith it's a bit more delicate...but there has to be an emphasis on assists here...team ball.

waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #142
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,944
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

It worked! I don't see any reason right now not to do that with Keith and Rap. I would shut Rap down almost exactly as he did with Eason. Focus on rebounding and assists and take what is given on offense. No more play making from beyond the 3 point line...and limit 3 balls. With Keith it's a bit more delicate...but there has to be an emphasis on assists here...team ball.

I mean its just different with a freshman 3 games in vs Srs that have been around.


He can't tell Keith you gotta do xyz to play. I think Rap losing his starting spot was supposed to transition in him just being a backup, but he has to play if Vogt is in foul trouble all game.



We are back to Vogt has to play 30+ or Rap has to play 20+. Not a great spot.


You really expect your SRs to know better on the things you'd coach Tari about. If they don't have it yet, they aren't going to get it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #143
justinhub2003
Epic Member
 
justinhub2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,980
justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think Rap has sucked


But I do think there will be games where he helps us out a ton. And his defensive rebounding has been really good.

Heís trying to hard. I think brannen needs to run some pick & pop plays for him, even if itís a few mid range to get him going. He should never dribble the ball

I feel like the whole team outside of DJD needs to tighten their handles too.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #144
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,944
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think Rap has sucked


But I do think there will be games where he helps us out a ton. And his defensive rebounding has been really good.

Heís trying to hard. I think brannen needs to run some pick & pop plays for him, even if itís a few mid range to get him going. He should never dribble the ball

I feel like the whole team outside of DJD needs to tighten their handles too.

DeJulius, KW, MAW, and Harvey all have great TO%s. Saunders only has 2 in 36 minutes, but he doesn't shoot or get assists so his % is high. The rest have been bad. No reason for big men to have TO% of 27.6 and 28.4
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #145
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,944
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
And if we just wanna go on raw numbers Rap, Vogt, and Eason have 23 of our 53 turnovers.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #146
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,268
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I mean its just different with a freshman 3 games in vs Srs that have been around.


He can't tell Keith you gotta do xyz to play. I think Rap losing his starting spot was supposed to transition in him just being a backup, but he has to play if Vogt is in foul trouble all game.



We are back to Vogt has to play 30+ or Rap has to play 20+. Not a great spot.


You really expect your SRs to know better on the things you'd coach Tari about. If they don't have it yet, they aren't going to get it.
I agree it will be very tricky with Keith but Rap can be brought back down to Earth. He should be limited to late clock 3's or open 3's near the arc. He should not be trying to create off the bounce outside the perimeter at all.

Keith can be reigned in on his reach in's simply by taking him out if he gets one too early. Don't wait for 2 early fouls. If he wants to stay on the court to get his points he can't do that from the bench. In terms of getting him to pass the ball that will be more difficult but making him more mindful of it would help. Even the scouts will want to see him be a good passer.

As for Vogt fouling...he can affect a shot even if he doesn't get his body on a guy. He needs to know his angles better. Even if he goes straight up but makes contact he will be risking a foul call.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #147
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,268
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
And if we just wanna go on raw numbers Rap, Vogt, and Eason have 23 of our 53 turnovers.
Eason had 4 of those in his first 8 minutes of the year and 3 in the last 65 minutes...only one per game since the first game. Rap needs to be on the same plan.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #148
TheLongHaul
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,936
TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Tari is great, but at this point he is the exception that proves the rule.

Diarra would be starting if we had a coach with Cronin's mentality. Brannen has shown he cares far more about offense from his bigs than defense. Cronin was the reverse.

Mick generally developed bigs, yeah it took 2/3 years, but the majority of them started quality minutes late in their careers. He did that because big men are the most difficult to recruit - supply is more limited.

Brannen's solution isn't looking any better. Vogt wouldn't start for most teams in the American, Rap looks like a bust, Sorolla was a bust, Lahkin looks like another in the same mold.

Ideally I'd like Brannen to get athletic guys and develop them on both the offensive and defensive end - even if that takes a couple of years. His current route seems to be get guys who are capable on offense, but have a low ceiling in terms of defensive/rebounding ability. With that method it will be hard to ever have a very good defensive team, big men are the most important piece on defense.
lol, it's amazing how much you overvalue Diarra's defensive and rebounding skills. In his limited time playing throughout his entire career he has never shown the ability to be a good defender. He may have been starting under Cronin but that would just have shown how poor Cronin's recruiting was. And the majority didn't start and have quality minutes. I could go on and on about all the busts he had.

Tari is the rule, not the exception. He is literally Brannen's only big man recruit out of high school. And he will be an exceptional rebounder, already better than Diarra because he actually has hands... The others are transfer fillers. You remember who the other one was out of high school that was 50/50 coming to UC? JJ Trainor, another athletic big.

Last edited by TheLongHaul; 12-14-2020 at 07:47 PM.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #149
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nati
Posts: 3,349
TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
lol, it's amazing how much you overvalue Diarra's defensive and rebounding skills. In his limited time playing throughout his entire career he has never shown the ability to be a good defender. He may have been starting under Cronin but that would just have shown how poor Cronin's recruiting was. And the majority didn't start and have quality minutes. I could go on and on about all the busts he had.

Tari is the rule, not the exception. He is literally Brannen's only big man recruit out of high school. And he will be an exceptional rebounder, already better than Diarra because he actually has hands... The others are transfer fillers. You remember who the other one was out of high school that was 50/50 coming to UC? JJ Trainor, another athletic big.
Imagine this...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.