Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #211
justinhub2003
Epic Member
 
justinhub2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,977
justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Hopeless
I donít get it. You think it took a brain surgeon to win games last year?

Make jarron the PG which was micks plan
Let tre Scott rebound the life outta the ball


There was nothing schematically or strategically that CJB did to win us games last year.


You know it. I know it. And this years team lacks 2 of those 3 Players and we are 2-5 and get worse by the game.

Iím more annoyed at a fan base who knows theyíve seen poor coaching then I am with the poor coaching

justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #212
TheLongHaul
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,936
TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I don’t get it. You think it took a brain surgeon to win games last year?

Make jarron the PG which was micks plan
Let tre Scott rebound the life outta the ball


There was nothing schematically or strategically that CJB did to win us games last year.


You know it. I know it. And this years team lacks 2 of those 3 Players and we are 2-5 and get worse by the game.

I’m more annoyed at a fan base who knows they’ve seen poor coaching then I am with the poor coaching
lol, they won the freaking conference in his very first season while dealing with injuries from key players, death of his father, a lot of new faces on the roster, etc, etc. It was a incredibly difficult year for them and they still won the conference.

It is going to take a bit of time. Brannen had no choice but to scrape together just about anyone he could get and he did a pretty damn good job of it. The young guys look good, much better than the guys Mick was pulling in which has led us to this situation.

The guy took over NKU and had them to two straight NCAA's after not even being a D1 program. That's a minor miracle. He has a coaching pedigree, is in Marshall's HOF as a player, was a Rhodes scholar finalist....he may not end up being a great coach, but I think he deserves a few seasons to prove us wrong (or JHubb right).

and btw, if it was so damn easy to just give the ball to someone has say go play maybe they would not have lost to a far inferior Iowa team, or even East Caroline during Mick's final season. Maybe if it was so easy you wouldn't give up a 24 point lead in the second half while having a cakewalk to the Final Four. I think having a bit of patience with a new coach is in order here.

Last edited by TheLongHaul; 01-02-2021 at 10:35 AM.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #213
skyblade
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 912
skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
lol, they won the freaking conference in his very first season while dealing with injuries from key players, death of his father, a lot of new faces on the roster, etc, etc. It was a incredibly difficult year for them and they still won the conference.

It is going to take a bit of time. Brannen had no choice but to scrape together just about anyone he could get and he did a pretty damn good job of it. The young guys look good, much better than the guys Mick was pulling in which has led us to this situation.

The guy took over NKU and had them to two straight NCAA's after not even being a D1 program. That's a minor miracle. He has a coaching pedigree, is in Marshall's HOF as a player, was a Rhodes scholar finalist....he may not end up being a great coach, but I think he deserves a few seasons to prove us wrong (or JHubb right).

and btw, if it was so damn easy to just give the ball to someone has say go play maybe they would not have lost to a far inferior Iowa team, or even East Caroline during Mick's final season. Maybe if it was so easy you wouldn't give up a 24 point lead in the second half while having a cakewalk to the Final Four. I think having a bit of patience with a new coach is in order here.
How long can you guys keep blaming Mick? He took us to 9 straight NCAA tournaments and we would no doubt be on our way to another one if he was still here. But I guess Mick having a couple bad losses over a couple years somehow makes up for Brannen having numerous bad losses over less than two.

Brannen had to scrape together a roster because he couldn't keep (or forced off) the guys who were on the roster. He has also badly screwed up recruiting bigs and transfers. Cronin doesn't get blamed for the fact that Brannen has no clue what a quality big looks like.

Brannen has made a lot of baffling and bad decisions. His coaching deserves to be questioned at this point, because it has been bad. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but no one should be happy with how he has coached to this point.

The game where he kept McNeal in and let him miss a ton of FT's (as the other team was purposefully fouling him) and we lost. Refusing to let Jarron handle the ball early in the year last year. Bringing in Rap to play the 4. Thinking Vogt is a quality center. Refusing to give Diarra a shot, despite him being our best center at the end of last year. It's a long list.

Throw in overall lack of player development and there's a whole lot not to be happy about.

As for the players being better than what Cronin was bringing in, I don't see it. Cronin was averaging sending 1 guy per year to the NBA recently. The only guy in Brannen's crop who looks like he may have a shot at the NBA is Eason.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #214
TheLongHaul
Epic Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,936
TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
How long can you guys keep blaming Mick? He took us to 9 straight NCAA tournaments and we would no doubt be on our way to another one if he was still here. But I guess Mick having a couple bad losses over a couple years somehow makes up for Brannen having numerous bad losses over less than two.
you obviously missed my point with those losses. It's to show that losses happen, Justin's assertion that you can just roll out a ball to Cumberland to win a conf is absurd. But Mick's bad losses (Presbyterian, Nevada, ECU, IOWA, Harvard, etc) outweigh John's losses so far and you treat Mick like God and as if John has no clue what he's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Brannen had to scrape together a roster because he couldn't keep (or forced off) the guys who were on the roster. He has also badly screwed up recruiting bigs and transfers. Cronin doesn't get blamed for the fact that Brannen has no clue what a quality big looks like.
No, he had to scrape together a roster because some guys who he had no connection with whatsoever decided to leave and the others were barely D1 worthy. Not sure what you think he could have done to recruit a quality big that late in the game. What quality bigs did he decide not to recruit, because you keep playing this angle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Brannen has made a lot of baffling and bad decisions. His coaching deserves to be questioned at this point, because it has been bad. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around, but no one should be happy with how he has coached to this point.

The game where he kept McNeal in and let him miss a ton of FT's (as the other team was purposefully fouling him) and we lost. Refusing to let Jarron handle the ball early in the year last year. Bringing in Rap to play the 4. Thinking Vogt is a quality center. Refusing to give Diarra a shot, despite him being our best center at the end of last year. It's a long list.
Yep, he has made some. I get that. It's also fair to question some of his decisions (though I disagree with giving Diarra a shot, he has had plenty of shots and still hasn't done anything with them. He looked awful earlier in the year before he quit). But Brannen is also a young coach learning his players and learning through some of his mistakes. Mistakes will happen. They happen to even the best or who you consider the best, e.g., Mick leaving Cumberland in to pick up his 5th foul against Nevada. Doing the same thing with Brooks against Iowa. Not running Lance Stephenson at PG (funny cuz this is the same think you both are blaming Cronin on and he made the same mistke with Lance). I could go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Throw in overall lack of player development and there's a whole lot not to be happy about.

As for the players being better than what Cronin was bring in, I don't see it. Cronin was averaging sending 1 guy per year to the NBA recently. The only guy in Brannen's crop who looks like he may have a shot at the NBA is Eason.
Mick's last two years compared to Brannen's. IMO, Brannen's is much better and that's coming late into the program while Mick had it established.

2017
KW
Diarra
Trevor Moore
Eliel Nsoseme
Cane Broom

2018
Rashawn Fredericks
Logan Johnson
Prince Gillam
LaQuill Hardnett

2019
Zach Harvey
MAW
Jeremiah Davenport
Chris Vogt
Jevan Cumberland

2020
Tari Eason
Mike Saunders
Mason Madsen
Gabe Madsen
David DeJulius
Rap
Victor Lakhin
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.