Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
BearcatNation54

BearcatNation54 is on a distinguished road
New Arena

We have all of these threads on recruits but if we want to get top recruits we need a new arena. A new arena would bring in more fans, therefore generating more money for the program and top recruits would take notice. In my opinion we need to tear down 5/3rd and build a new on campus arena.
BearcatNation54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Bearcat4ever

Bearcat4ever is on a distinguished road
I agree 100 % . I would definitely attend more games in an new or updated 5/3. If I can't get decent seats I would rather stay home and watch the game in my man cave.
Bearcat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #3
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Chicken and egg.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Chicken and egg.
Not really, see SMU.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Levettation

Levettation is on a distinguished road
As someone that has gone to many UC games there is a lot to like about 5/3 (imo), and for the first decade of it's existance it wasn't bad compared to other gyms. But 25 years later it is way behind the times, it doesn't optimize the space well or offer much to those in the nose bleeds (ticket sales) and while I don't know if this directly hurts our recruiting I doubt it helps when kids see other arenas in the neighborhood (UL, UK, OSU and maybe even X's). I know this much has been iterated before so I won't belabor the point.

Watching the games in the tourny makes you realize that superior seating arrangements exist. I like the bowl design, as it puts those in the corner still facing midcourt and feels like you're on top of the action.

I haven't heard a definitive plan from the university, but I'm sure it's on the agenda when money becomes available. We just don't have a huge warchest compared to some other schools. The major question is to renovate or rebuild? VV has had such a makeover over the last decade I think they should just build a new one. 5/3 is not like Nippert where we wanted to conserve a classic look or anything. Build a new one where 5/3 is now and play games downtown for a year if that is what it takes.
Levettation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levettation View Post
As someone that has gone to many UC games there is a lot to like about 5/3 (imo), and for the first decade of it's existance it wasn't bad compared to other gyms. But 25 years later it is way behind the times, it doesn't optimize the space well or offer much to those in the nose bleeds (ticket sales) and while I don't know if this directly hurts our recruiting I doubt it helps when kids see other arenas in the neighborhood (UL, UK, OSU and maybe even X's). I know this much has been iterated before so I won't belabor the point.

Watching the games in the tourny makes you realize that superior seating arrangements exist. I like the bowl design, as it puts those in the corner still facing midcourt and feels like you're on top of the action.

I haven't heard a definitive plan from the university, but I'm sure it's on the agenda when money becomes available. We just don't have a huge warchest compared to some other schools. The major question is to renovate or rebuild? VV has had such a makeover over the last decade I think they should just build a new one. 5/3 is not like Nippert where we wanted to conserve a classic look or anything. Build a new one where 5/3 is now and play games downtown for a year if that is what it takes.
Agree with what you are saying. Especially the last sentence. Ultimately I want it to remain on campus. It gives me a reason to keep visiting Clifton, which is booming for pubs and foodies.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Not really, see SMU.
Your point being? They had money for a stadium renovation, and everything has currently said we do not. My point was we've had this conversation and we all would love a state of the art arena.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
There isn't any money for a new arena. Apparently there were some discussions about a small renovation to get some things up to code at 5th 3rd but nothing major.

With the looming 2016 GOP convention, I would much rather prefer a state of the art US Bank Arena to play in. Whatever will generate the most $$$ for the Athletic Department. I don't really care if basketball games are moved off campus, we've got a damn football stadium in the middle of campus that should be enough for alumni that want to get back to campus a few times a year.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
I really enjoy going to 5/3, and moving off campus is a bad idea. I would like to see 5/3 get a strobe light and turn off the lights when announcing starting 5, I know that would get me pumped, the lights we have now won't allow that but that would be an easy renovation. But again I love games at 5/3
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
In a perfect world, UC would have the money to tear down Fifth Third and build a new state-of-the-art arena in its place. Capacity in the 12,000-15,000 range would be just fine.

In the realistic, not-so-perfect world, UC doesn't have the money to even renovate what we have -- let alone rebuild. I expect some news about US Bank in the near future. The rumors have been flying for a long time now, so some concrete news is probably overdue.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote