Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #151
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I actually don’t have a big problem with signing a few project guys.

BUT what I do have a problem with is signing them in a what will be a future defining class. We had to use 2 scholarships to sign 1 high end 3 star recruit, and we didn’t need another guard on the roster. Our bigs situation is about as bad as it can get, and so far we haven’t got anyone to sign. If we finish with 2 4-Star bigs, then its worth it to take a Mason.
Only the painter knows what his finished product will look like. Hopefully our painter has a masterpiece when he is finished.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #152
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:

BUT what I do have a problem with is signing them in a what will be a future defining class. We had to use 2 scholarships to sign 1 high end 3 star recruit, and we didn’t need another guard on the roster. Our bigs situation is about as bad as it can get, and so far we haven’t got anyone to sign. If we finish with 2 4-Star bigs, then its worth it to take a Mason.
dude, everyone freaking gets it. Can you just shut up about it at least until the recruiting class is finished? He pulled in a top 50 player late in the year after only a month on the job but you just keep (and on and on and on) criticizing him when he still has a crap ton of time left recruiting the class. Come back next year and criticize the 2020 class if you want.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #153
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
As far as the actual season. Who knows. I expect us to make the tourney but I think we could be a play-in game 12 seed or as high as a 4 seed. Wouldn’t be surprised with either. Too many unknowns to really guess
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #154
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This makes little sense. We don’t need any more than 2 more bigs and we have two more spots. You have already admitted we don’t need more guards. Mason isn’t taking anyone’s spot in this scenario and we may very well have another spot that will need to be filled if Gilliam can’t play. By your logic Mason will be holding us back from getting a 6th legit recruit? Think it through please! If we can fill two spots with good recruits and also fill Gilliam’s spot with a good recruit...Mason will be a blip on your radar. And if we don’t fill them with good recruits it won’t be Masons fault. The only way Mason can affect the situation is if we fill all open spots with good recruits and we wish we had one more and I don’t think ANYONE sees that situation coming!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #155
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
I am not sure what the hate on Mason Madsen is.... The kid can play, is he as good as his brother Gabe... No.... But Gabe can absolutely stroke the ball. Gabe is going to be a star for us in the future, if that means we have to take his lower recruited brother than so be it, but to say we are wasting a scholarship on Mason or he is hurting the 2020 class is ridiculous.

Here is a link of the two playing the defending state champs last week in Minnesota in a scrimmage. Gabe is a sniper. Its only about 5 min.. Gabe is 22 with white headband and mason is 45 with the arm sleeve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-2ScY4IY0
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #156
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yeah Gabe looks like a hot hand in that video. The two look like they will work well together. Should be fun to see where this leads.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #157
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
If Mason Madsen could match Kevin Johnson's cumulative contributions over a 4-year career that would be a win for me.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #158
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
If Mason Madsen could match Kevin Johnson's cumulative contributions over a 4-year career that would be a win for me.
KJ was a Bearcat so he’s good with me...but the fact he played over 20 minutes for 3 years at a scoring position is borderline criminal. He should have been a 10-15 minute guy all along. Good defense but come on...you need scoring from the wing
Old 10-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #159
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This makes little sense. We don’t need any more than 2 more bigs and we have two more spots. You have already admitted we don’t need more guards. Mason isn’t taking anyone’s spot in this scenario and we may very well have another spot that will need to be filled if Gilliam can’t play. By your logic Mason will be holding us back from getting a 6th legit recruit? Think it through please! If we can fill two spots with good recruits and also fill Gilliam’s spot with a good recruit...Mason will be a blip on your radar. And if we don’t fill them with good recruits it won’t be Masons fault. The only way Mason can affect the situation is if we fill all open spots with good recruits and we wish we had one more and I don’t think ANYONE sees that situation coming!!
Right now for next season we have Diarra and Vogt. Prince may never get to play basketball again and even if he did, hasn’t played in 2 full seasons by this time next year:

That’s it. When I say bigs it’s covering the 4 and 5 position. Having only 4 bigs is scary expecislly when 2 of them will be freshmen.

In my idea class, I would take Saunders, a high level wing, a 4 star pF and a 4-star or top 200 center, then also try to snag either a good big grad transfer or a good big sit out transfer.

Adding mason means we either can take 2 freshman or 1 freshman and 1 transfers.

I’m not worried about 2019 because I think Keith, Jarron and Tre keep us moving: but in 2020 our lineup is going to be
Pg: MAW(3 star) /Mikey Saunders (3 star) / mason (2 star)
Sg: Keith (4 star) /Trevor (3-star)
SF: Harvey (4star)/Gabe (3 star) /Davenport (3 star)
PF: Diarra (3 star)
C: Vogt (2-star)

If that makes you feel great about our future then fine, but I haven’t seen Brannen coach at this level yet. So to make feel better I’d rather see talent.

Like I said if we can nab EASON or Traynor then all’s well that ends well. But right now, it’s ultra quiet on the recruiting front.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #160
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Right now for next season we have Diarra and Vogt. Prince may never get to play basketball again and even if he did, hasn’t played in 2 full seasons by this time next year:

That’s it. When I say bigs it’s covering the 4 and 5 position. Having only 4 bigs is scary expecislly when 2 of them will be freshmen.

In my idea class, I would take Saunders, a high level wing, a 4 star pF and a 4-star or top 200 center, then also try to snag either a good big grad transfer or a good big sit out transfer.

Adding mason means we either can take 2 freshman or 1 freshman and 1 transfers.

I’m not worried about 2019 because I think Keith, Jarron and Tre keep us moving: but in 2020 our lineup is going to be
Pg: MAW(3 star) /Mikey Saunders (3 star) / mason (2 star)
Sg: Keith (4 star) /Trevor (3-star)
SF: Harvey (4star)/Gabe (3 star) /Davenport (3 star)
PF: Diarra (3 star)
C: Vogt (2-star)

If that makes you feel great about our future then fine, but I haven’t seen Brannen coach at this level yet. So to make feel better I’d rather see talent.

Like I said if we can nab EASON or Traynor then all’s well that ends well. But right now, it’s ultra quiet on the recruiting front.
Once again if we can land 2 quality bigs Mason hadn’t affected anything. If Gilliam can’t play we can add either another big or a guard and Mason still will have yet to affect anything. It’s only if we have the option of adding more than that will he affect the situation. And if we get into future years where we have to turn down 4 or 5 star recruits will Mason have hurt our chances. I don’t think by your own logic do you see that situation ever coming up and I really don’t either.