Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #31
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think the assisted percentage accounts for any missed attempts. I think it's saying that 2 of Moore's 3 made threes were assisted, but not necessarily that he only attempted 3 assisted threes. I doubt that Moore has shot 9 unassisted threes. That would also mean Scott has taken 4 unassisted threes, Fredericks 9, and Williams 13. Doesn't seem reasonable. I don't believe that everyone on the team shoots better than 67% when assisted.

Something strange is going on with that stat though. If you go to the national play-by-play stats, there are 22 players with a threes assisted percentage greater than 100. Four players are at 200. That doesn't make sense unless you count assists hockey style.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think the assisted percentage accounts for any missed attempts. I think it's saying that 2 of Moore's 3 made threes were assisted, but not necessarily that he only attempted 3 assisted threes. I doubt that Moore has shot 9 unassisted threes. That would also mean Scott has taken 4 unassisted threes, Fredericks 9, and Williams 13. Doesn't seem reasonable. I don't believe that everyone on the team shoots better than 67% when assisted.

Something strange is going on with that stat though. If you go to the national play-by-play stats, there are 22 players with a threes assisted percentage greater than 100. Four players are at 200. That doesn't make sense unless you count assists hockey style.
Maybe I am confusing myself here but hear me out. Moore has made three 3's on the season. You can't get to 66.6% unless he made 2 of 3 of his assisted shots. If he had more assisted shots he would he would have to be 4 of 6 or 8 of 12 on those...but he has only made 3 shots so it has to mean he is 2 of 3 on assisted shots and 1 of 9 unassisted.

Now I do agree something seems strange overall but I don't know what it is
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Maybe I am confusing myself here but hear me out. Moore has made three 3's on the season. You can't get to 66.6% unless he made 2 of 3 of his assisted shots. If he had more assisted shots he would he would have to be 4 of 6 or 8 of 12 on those...but he has only made 3 shots so it has to mean he is 2 of 3 on assisted shots and 1 of 9 unassisted.

Now I do agree something seems strange overall but I don't know what it is
In terms of Broome he has only made 5 threes on the year. The only way to represent his 80% assisted number is if he hit 4 of 5 of them. He can't be 8 of 10 because he hasn't made that many shots yet.

Am I missing something?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #34
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
In terms of Broome he has only made 5 threes on the year. The only way to represent his 80% assisted number is if he hit 4 of 5 of them. He can't be 8 of 10 because he hasn't made that many shots yet.

Am I missing something?
I think so, but I'm having a hard time explaining it. I think it's the percentage of made threes that were assisted. You think it's the percentage of makes on assisted attempts.

You get to 80% by dividing 4 into 5, but we have to figure out what the 4 and 5 mean. I think it means Broome has made 4 assisted threes and 5 total threes, but we don't know how many assisted he shot. I would guess he's about 4-20 assisted and 1-6 unassisted. I would guess Scott is 2-6 assisted and 0-0 unassisted.

Last edited by sedziobs; 12-11-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Nevermind I think I get where you are coming from now.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #36
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

It's probably like that out of necessity. I don't think anyone is keeping track of "assisted" misses. Assists are only relevant to makes. So there's not really any way to tell hown many assisted looks a player gets.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think so, but I'm having a hard time explaining it. I think it's the percentage of made threes that were assisted. You think it's the percentage of makes on assisted attempts.

You get to 80% by dividing 4 into 5, but we have to figure out what the 4 and 5 mean. I think it means Broome has made 4 assisted threes and 5 total threes, but we don't know how many assisted he shot. I would guess he's about 4-20 assisted and 1-6 unassisted. I would guess Scott is 2-6 assisted and 0-0 unassisted.
I understand what you are saying now and that makes more sense
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #38
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I was looking on the Torvik site at our 3%. He has a breakdown of % made overall vs % made on assisted shots. There is no way to tell how many of each players shots were assisted nor do I know how they collect the data but the results are pretty crazy IMO. I will list the overall % first and then the assisted %.

Cumberland...44...86
Jenifer...46...82
Scott...33...100
Williams...28...100
Broome...19...80
Johnson...33...100
Moore...25...67
Fredericks...25...100

It's crazy that Moore is the outlier here at 67% made 3's from assists. The rest are above 80%. Of course for many of these guys the sample is extremely small but I think you can see the point here. Outside of Cumberland most of these guys should just be looking for the assisted set shot when determining if they should take a 3.

if we had saturdays official scorer for the UNLV game 100% of moore's makes would have been assisted.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

The G-score or the game score on the Torvik site is interesting. It tells you how each game performance would compare to the rest of D1 teams. I averaged out what our rank would look like since the first 3 games.

An average that would equate to a top 17 team basically over the past 7 games. Two of the first three games would have ranked in the bottom 50% of D1.

The question becomes...is the top 17 number about who we are? Better? Worse?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #40
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We all know Jenifer leads the country in assist to turnover ratio but I was looking at his offensive rating (ortg) on T-rank. At 140.4 that currently sits at #7 on his list but everyone ranked higher than him has a lower usage rate. So depending on how you look at the numbers he can be #1 in the country there as well. Nobody ranks higher than him with at least a 14.5 usage rate.

Keep up the good work JJ!