Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
it seems to me most of these commits are playing above their star/ranking level which was already adjusted up in the case of the Madsens and Saunders within the past year. I haven't followed Eason as much because he is already 4 star. But the rest seem to be outplaying their ranking (even if just a little) and that includes Mason.

Saunders was supposed to be a poor shooter but is knocking down 3's at a high rate being somewhat selective. Gabe and Mason are combining to score 60 and 70 points several nights between them.

Eason is a stud as well but the class is really coming together. They are all getting better. MAW and Harvey are nice to build on and I don't forget Davenport who will probably outwork them
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Getting another center for next year will be crucial, and getting a center in next years recruiting class will be crucial as well. Hopefully take advantage of some decomitts after coaches take new jobs
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:16 AM   #13
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Okay, here's a bit of "what if" from current names in the transfer portal. I'm not saying that any of these guys are great, just that in a pinch with limited recruiting opportunities yet for next season, they could be useful pickups, if only for having D1 players in practice. This list will obviously grow by the end of the season. I notice Temple just accepted three guys out of the transfer portal.

- James Akinjo, 6'0", PG, currently Georgetown. I'd hope they are recruiting the Big East Freshman of the Year. At least checking interest. I'm sure he's learned some hard lessons with his time under Ewing, but that could be a positive with the next school.

- Kristian Sjolund, 6'8", 213 SF, currently at GA Tech. Four weeks ago they said they were going to redshirt him to allow him to build strength. Two weeks ago says he may come back, but he's putting his name in the portal anyway to see his options. He was shooting decent in his limited time last year, so I think it's a coach/player conflict and we all know Pastner gets good players and doesn't coach them well.

- Russell Barlow, 6'10", 235 C, currently sophomore at TCU, but entered portal two weeks ago due to not getting enough playing time. Was ESPN four star at one point in HS. They were trying to redshirt him last season, but some injuries meant they had to play him in conference games. Right now, the only center available. Something is weird going on with Jamie Dixon, as Barlow is the last of all five in his recruiting class to transfer out of the school for various reasons.

- Chris Dohery, 6'8", 238 PF, leaving Notre Dame due to playing time. Was a three star out of high school. Kind of a tweener, but this guy has a good D1 players frame. Strong around the basket and was a big rebounder in high school.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:54 AM   #14
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Okay, here's a bit of "what if" from current names in the transfer portal. I'm not saying that any of these guys are great, just that in a pinch with limited recruiting opportunities yet for next season, they could be useful pickups, if only for having D1 players in practice. This list will obviously grow by the end of the season. I notice Temple just accepted three guys out of the transfer portal.

- James Akinjo, 6'0", PG, currently Georgetown. I'd hope they are recruiting the Big East Freshman of the Year. At least checking interest. I'm sure he's learned some hard lessons with his time under Ewing, but that could be a positive with the next school.

- Kristian Sjolund, 6'8", 213 SF, currently at GA Tech. Four weeks ago they said they were going to redshirt him to allow him to build strength. Two weeks ago says he may come back, but he's putting his name in the portal anyway to see his options. He was shooting decent in his limited time last year, so I think it's a coach/player conflict and we all know Pastner gets good players and doesn't coach them well.

- Russell Barlow, 6'10", 235 C, currently sophomore at TCU, but entered portal two weeks ago due to not getting enough playing time. Was ESPN four star at one point in HS. They were trying to redshirt him last season, but some injuries meant they had to play him in conference games. Right now, the only center available. Something is weird going on with Jamie Dixon, as Barlow is the last of all five in his recruiting class to transfer out of the school for various reasons.

- Chris Dohery, 6'8", 238 PF, leaving Notre Dame due to playing time. Was a three star out of high school. Kind of a tweener, but this guy has a good D1 players frame. Strong around the basket and was a big rebounder in high school.
I don’t think we will go after any more point guards. I think we will already have a lot of them. It would be a talent upgrade but you are basically telling the two guards you just signed that you don’t believe in them. I could be wrong though. Would love a guy with some size or two. It’s a great way to get those guys. Kyle Washington is a good example.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Getting another center for next year will be crucial, and getting a center in next years recruiting class will be crucial as well. Hopefully take advantage of some decomitts after coaches take new jobs
I wouldn't mind seeing us land a HS kid and a grad transfer that can play the 5 but I don't know what is left for HS so it might have to be a late bloomer or off the radar type over seas kid etc.

We have 6 spots that will be open (4 filled) and possibly 7 depending on Gillam and who knows about anything else opening up. That last spot can go to "best available" transfer we can get on the wing...after we get 2 bigs
Old 01-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I am not writing off this season but I am definitely starting to look towards the future if things don't change in a big hurry. One benefit of not having a good shot at the tourney could mean we see a little more of Harvey down the stretch and I hope he can gain some confidence.

I like Mika. Davenport should be a good role player. However I am getting more and more stoked about what we have coming in. Saunders could legit take over the point. Both Madsens are playing pretty well. Eason will fit the system much better than Scott.

This season is looking pretty bleak but it will be fun to see what CJB can do with his own HS recruits over time. I hate to start looking down the road but right now it may save some anxiety...lol!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am not writing off this season but I am definitely starting to look towards the future if things don't change in a big hurry. One benefit of not having a good shot at the tourney could mean we see a little more of Harvey down the stretch and I hope he can gain some confidence.

I like Mika. Davenport should be a good role player. However I am getting more and more stoked about what we have coming in. Saunders could legit take over the point. Both Madsens are playing pretty well. Eason will fit the system much better than Scott.

This season is looking pretty bleak but it will be fun to see what CJB can do with his own HS recruits over time. I hate to start looking down the road but right now it may save some anxiety...lol!
I think Saunders and Eason will play right away, I am not saying start but they will see extensive time. I think Gabe could crack some PT too if he can hit some shots from the wing.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #18
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I am all for giving the young guys minutes. Davenport never looks lost out there. He's not afraid. I think he will be solid in a couple years. one of those energy guys that the fans will love. Also looks like a decent players. Harvey looks lost at times. Fouls more than anyone but we have to start giving him 7-10 minutes a game. Maybe Mcneal's or some of Kieth minutes. Let's see what these guys have.

I want next year to look a lot like Wichita last year. Throw them to the wolves. Let them learn and be ready to compete for the league the year after next.

Also maybe get a solid transfer that sits next year and have them ready when we are ready to compete.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #19
Coomer

Coomer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I think Saunders and Eason will play right away, I am not saying start but they will see extensive time. I think Gabe could crack some PT too if he can hit some shots from the wing.
Ryan James, a recruiting analyst from MN, did a spot on Cincy Slangin’ and sounded very bullish on Mason.

Not that he doesn’t see the upside in Gabe, but the word is out on Mason as a high level shooter, good defender, and nice creator.

I suspect the Madsen brothers’ immediate impact will be limited, but I don’t find myself questioning the decision to take Mason along with Gabe anymore.
Coomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #20
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Gabe Madsen is the best player in the class imo
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote