Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Mississippi State

Cincinnati Bearcats (9-1) @ Mississippi State Bulldogs (8-1)
Saturday night 8:30 PM SECN

Mississippi State is currently ranked #22 and after beating Clemson this weekend will probably #20 or #19.

This is the 4th game of the 5 hard game stretch. This will be the most difficult test of 5 games and maybe that hardest all year.

Worried about this game for not only playing a top 25 team on the road but also the game after the shootout. I trust Cronin to have our team ready.

Being in the AAC we only have so many chances for good quality road wins. We have had one extremely good road win in each of the past two years, Iowa State (2 years ago) and Wichita State (last year). We will have a few more chances this year with Houston & UCF, but still this could really help our resume.

Many people said they'd be satisfied over the 5 game stretch with going 3-2. We really need to start thinking 4-1 or 5-0 now. Lets goo!!!!
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
A win here would be great! Cautiously optimistic...
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
A win here would be great! Cautiously optimistic...
Need to board and guard the 3 pt line. Miss St had 19 3's last game. A team record I believe. They are long and athletic. In my opinion this is the toughest game of the 5. A win here would be really impressive.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
2 weeks ago i didn't like our chances very much but i think we have a decent shot now.

its all about keith williams. we all wondered all offseason how could we score after cumberland. williams has answered the call. he can get to the rim whenever he wants and he's the best offensive rebounding guard ive seen in a while.

the 7 man rotation is becoming clear and its pretty solid. nsoseme is a rebounding machine and cane can give us a kick as long as he isn't settling for 80% 3's.

if we bring the defense like we did vs xavier i like our chances. have to make sure peters doesn't get any open looks, but can probably treat quinndary weatherspoon like we did goodin and marshall. nick weatherspoon is shooting 55% but only 20 attempts (shot 30% last year on 87 attempts).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #5
icehole3

icehole3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
its all about keith williams
I agree with this some, to me it's all about getting Moore, Johnson and Frederick up to where Williams is at. They mist be fully developed by the Tourney.
icehole3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Defensively we must set the tone. After their 19 3's against Clemson, they are going to be trigger happy. Can't let them get comfortable on the perimeter. Rebounding is key.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
I agree with this some, to me it's all about getting Moore, Johnson and Frederick up to where Williams is at. They mist be fully developed by the Tourney.
I don't think it's reasonable to think they can get to where Williams is at. Hell I don't even think Williams would be where Williams is at if it weren't for Evans leaving. It takes minutes to gain some confidence.

Talent wise I don't think Moore or Fredericks can get there anyway. Johnson probably has the talent. Moore would have to start shooting volume 3's around 40%+ to add that type of value to the team. Fredericks is versatile but not really great at anything.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Cincinnati Bearcats (9-1) @ Mississippi State Bulldogs (8-1)
Saturday night 8:30 PM SECN

Mississippi State is currently ranked #22 and after beating Clemson this weekend will probably #20 or #19.

This is the 4th game of the 5 hard game stretch. This will be the most difficult test of 5 games and maybe that hardest all year.

Worried about this game for not only playing a top 25 team on the road but also the game after the shootout. I trust Cronin to have our team ready.

Being in the AAC we only have so many chances for good quality road wins. We have had one extremely good road win in each of the past two years, Iowa State (2 years ago) and Wichita State (last year). We will have a few more chances this year with Houston & UCF, but still this could really help our resume.

Many people said they'd be satisfied over the 5 game stretch with going 3-2. We really need to start thinking 4-1 or 5-0 now. Lets goo!!!!
I will still take 4-1 in a heartbeat! But 5-0 would probably up my expectations to a whole other level. I have already moved them up a couple of notches.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Statistically, these are two very similar teams in many aspects. Miss St is a very balanced team, ranking #25 in offensive efficiency and #26 in defensive efficiency. We hold the edge in all but 3 of the 8 "Four Factors", those being shooting, defensive rebounding, and preventing free throws. One key to the game may be limiting their free throw attempts. Miss St has the 12th lowest free throw rate in the country, but when they get to the line they convert at 77%, which is 22nd best in the country.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Statistically, these are two very similar teams in many aspects. Miss St is a very balanced team, ranking #25 in offensive efficiency and #26 in defensive efficiency. We hold the edge in all but 3 of the 8 "Four Factors", those being shooting, defensive rebounding, and preventing free throws. One key to the game may be limiting their free throw attempts. Miss St has the 12th lowest free throw rate in the country, but when they get to the line they convert at 77%, which is 22nd best in the country.

hopefully the refs allow a physical game in general. sometimes, like against unlv, we don't really have much of a chance to keep them off the free throw line if the refs call a foul any time 2 players touch.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote