Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Mick Cronin

Can everyone put their Cronin hate on this thread to keep other threads on topic?

I personally don’t want Cronin fired at all. However, he really needs to perform better in recruiting and March or he will be gone. I firmly believe his biggest weakness is recruiting.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Can everyone put their Cronin hate on this thread to keep other threads on topic?

I personally don’t want Cronin fired at all. However, he really needs to perform better in recruiting and March or he will be gone. I firmly believe his biggest weakness is recruiting.
Has he not already proven his inability?
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Cronin is stuck in the 90s. He recruits to 90s style basketball.

It's 2019. The three ball is basketball. Doubling the post to give open threes equals losses. Recruiting athletes over shooters equals losses.

Offense wins championships. Look at the last few winners. All score. All play with pace. Etc.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post

It's 2019. The three ball is basketball. Doubling the post to give open threes equals losses. Recruiting athletes over shooters equals losses.

Offense wins championships. Look at the last few winners. All score. All play with pace. Etc.
That’s also how recruits want to play.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Offense and defense wins championships. Nobody out there is winning just playing 1 side of the court. You have to be good at both. We dont even try to get better on offense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Offense and defense wins championships. Nobody out there is winning just playing 1 side of the court. You have to be good at both. We dont even try to get better on offense.
I'd argue our defense is wrong to. We constantly double the post and give up open threes.

I said before game selection show if we play a team that shoots threes well, I don't like our chances. (And yes.. Most teams in tournament can shoot it well. Duke a rare rare rare outlier)
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Not doubling the post didn't work out for us today. We shot more threes than Iowa. Not many of theirs were off passes from the post.

Duke is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the country and has elite athletes. Good players win championships. We aren't recruiting like Duke no matter who our coach is.

Villanova won in 2016 with a 289 ranked tempo. Wisconsin went to the finals in 2015 with a 344 ranked tempo. UConn won in 2014 with a 262 ranked tempo. Tempo has no correlation to efficiency.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I'd argue our defense is wrong to. We constantly double the post and give up open threes.

I said before game selection show if we play a team that shoots threes well, I don't like our chances. (And yes.. Most teams in tournament can shoot it well. Duke a rare rare rare outlier)

I agree he must change things in his defense. It was a massive problem all year long. 303 out of 351 teams in preventing 3's. That will not work. He designed a defense to stop old school big east offense, the game has evolved.

His defense is amazing against teams that can't shoot the 3 though, unfortunately those teams don't tend to be very good overall.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We should be a much better defensive and rebounding team next year with bigger and more athletic guards. We really miss players like Evans and Caupain on the glass.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Not doubling the post didn't work out for us today. We shot more threes than Iowa. Not many of theirs were off passes from the post.

Duke is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the country and has elite athletes. Good players win championships. We aren't recruiting like Duke no matter who our coach is.

Villanova won in 2016 with a 289 ranked tempo. Wisconsin went to the finals in 2015 with a 344 ranked tempo. UConn won in 2014 with a 262 ranked tempo. Tempo has no correlation to efficiency.

Yeah pace isn't really something to worry about. You have to be good at offense and defense. Thats pretty much all there is to it. And to be good at both you have to have good players.

That said I think we should be able to beat the Iowa's of the world (or Harvards, or St. Joes and so on)