Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #41
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Per the RecruitScoop:

Duke, Florida State, Maryland, UConn, Cincinnati, Illinois, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M & Washington State watched Brewster (NH) workouts.

You would think a lot of those schools were checking out McGary.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #42
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Mitch McGary: SYF Players, 6’11″ 250 lbs Class of 2012

That’s right, Mitch McGary is now just about an inch from being a legitimate footer (7-footer for the uninformed).

McGary has always had a lot of skill mixed with athleticism and a decent motor.

Now he has the confidence of a big-time player in the best way possible.

He’s extremely vocal and enthusiastic with his teammates, urging them on and pumping them up when they make a play, hollering out instructions on the back end of the defense, and just playing with a passion that’s outright cool to witness. He passes well with either hand and finishes with both as well. He rebounds ferociously and makes plays in the open court and off the bounce. He also has a little mid range pull up and a floater.

He seeks out contact and tries to physically dominate his opposition at every opportunity.

And when he doesn’t play his best offensively, he still brings it in all the other areas.

You hear an awful lot about bigs in the 2012 class and who’s the best one.

McGary is not only in that discussion, he’s damn near the first name that should be uttered when having it.

As the stops on the circuit pile up I expect McGary to pull more than a few cards of the guys usually listed above him. Those hoping to battle him might want to leave the fadeaways and their fear of contact at the Hotel because McGary is bringing an MMA style to the proceedings.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...-for-top-spot/
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #43
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Mitch McGary (2012)
Center
AAU Team: SYF
Considering: Duke, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Marquette, Xavier, Cincinnati
Offers: Cincinnati
, Marquette
Planning visits to: Cincinnati, Maryland, Florida, Indiana, Texas

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...ruiting-notes/
Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #44
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Mitch McGary (2012)
Center
AAU Team: SYF
Considering: Duke, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Marquette, Xavier, Cincinnati
Offers: Cincinnati
, Marquette
Planning visits to: Cincinnati, Maryland, Florida, Indiana, Texas

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...ruiting-notes/
Nice work getting on this kid early. I worry about Indiana and Crean, he starting to pull in some great talent.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #45
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Nice work getting on this kid early. I worry about Indiana and Crean, he starting to pull in some great talent.
How many spots do they have left in their 2012 class? They've already got FIVE commitments for next year.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #46
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
How many spots do they have left in their 2012 class? They've already got FIVE commitments for next year.
they are already 1 over their scholarship limit for 2012 and are probably going to get Gary Harris shortly as well. i think IU is the least of our worries, because at that point they'd over by 3. i think the duke's, syracuse's, texas's, etc are what we need to worry about.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #47
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psax889906 View Post
That doesn't mean anything in recruiting.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #48
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
That doesn't mean anything in recruiting.
Maybe not when you're one- or two over the limit. But when you're three? Come on. That sort of mass exodus would do more harm to a program than good, even if you're bringing in studs, imo.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

MITCH MCGARY: RISING 2012 BIG MAN SEEING RECRUITMENT INTENSIFY
April 27, 2011 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment
By Lauren Kirschman

Since transferring to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire last year, class of 2012 big man Mitch McGary has been opening some eyes.

McGary began to shine this past season as the sixth man for one of the nations’ top prep schools and he’s continued to show off his improved skills on the AAU circuit this spring.

Now McGary is attracting the attention of top schools from across the country, including Duke, Texas, Arizona, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Xavier and Cincinnati.

He’s already taken trips to Illinois, Marquette, Purdue and Indiana and is attempting to plan visits to Cincinnati, Maryland, Florida, Indiana and Texas.

McGary said that both Indiana and Cincinnati are recruiting him hard, but he hasn’t reached a college decision yet. Right now, he’s keeping his recruitment wide open.

Mitch McGary '12 prospect of Brewster Academy
“I want to go to whatever school fits me best,” he said. “Everyone is still in the mix.”

All of those potential schools will be watching as McGary continues to climb the recruiting rankings. The 6-foot-11, 250-pound center said the improvement in his game since he transferred to Brewster is indescribable.

“It was a big step for me,” he said. “Brewster is a lot tougher, it’s the highest level of play. The intensity is at another level. It’s so much faster.”

He’s gotten stronger in his year at Brewster, putting on muscle as he focused on lifting and conditioning.

But the concentration on lifting led McGary to falter with other aspects of his game, including his 18-foot and 3-point shots, but he said he’ll be working on returning those skills to his repertoire throughout the summer.

“I’m working on shots, working on post moves,” McGary said. “I want to focus on using post work in these [AAU games].”

And even if the hot prospect big man doesn’t end up playing his college basketball in Pittsburgh, he gave Panther fans an indication of the level of player they’ll be seeing inside next year.

When asked who was the toughest player he faced at Brewster this past season, McGary said that distinction belonged to incoming 2011 Pitt recruit Khem Birch.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0427/10540/
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #50
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
I'd have to imagine IU doesn't have many scholarships available. I think they are projected to be way over their limit so hopefully that helps UC. Not that it is down to IU and UC but you'd have to think IU will be a player in this recruitment. IU and UC have probably been on him the longest.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote