Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2013 Recruiting Profiles

Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
'13 Congo PF Junior Etou

Basketball is a global concern now, with competitors emerging from locales across the globe. National Basketball Association team rosters prove the point, as players from virtually every continent exist there.

As in most things, trends trickle down from the highest level, and hoops is no different; there has been a movement for decades in which high school-aged international players attend U.S. high schools with the hopes of at a minimum gaining a collegiate scholarship.

Junior Etou is just such a guy. This native of Congo, Central Africa is not only playing in the States, but also is flourishing.

A 6-foot-8, 215-pound, active, athletic player in the Class of 2013, Etou attacks the boards, defends and scores from around 12 feet in consistently. He’s the kind of guy that wins ball games for college programs.

The likes of “Memphis, Miami, West Virginia, Arizona, Maryland” are recruiting him, shared Etou during the National Basketball Players Association Top 100 camp. The first two are the institutions that have tendered scholarship offers. Since then the likes of Cincinnati has also entered the picture.

In terms of the BIG EAST, Etou noted “I would like to play for the BIG EAST”, though his primary focus is to choose s a school “a great school where I can go in and play.” He is aware of, and likes the BIG EAST’s style of play.

Having been here a handful of years – the last two years he attended Arlington Country Day (VA) and now being enrolled at Bishop O’Connell (VA) – Etou has faced a number of adjustments: “Everything is different; when living in Africa, it is not like here…When I came over here, everything was hard for me. I just worked hard.”

That he has, with such an effort being on display during the Top 100 Camp, and during practices/workouts with his travel team, DC Assault. Despite having pedestrian averages during camp – such is the case when you focus on making winning plays and providing effort as opposed to scoring in such confabs – nobody can say Junior didn’t work hard on the court.

He did the same during moments when most other players were resting or enjoying themselves, typically around meal time. One day Etou hooked up with former NBA player Kermit Washington, learning a reverse pivot to face up, after which he drilled various counters off it. It was interesting to see Etou flourish with the teaching, almost blossoming before one’s eyes.

Etou loved the tutoring, saying “I had tried to do it (differently), I like this better. Nobody can stop you, nobody can guard you, if you do that”. Recognizing the utility of it, Etou pledged to take those lessons to the gym and incorporate them into his repertoire. Based on a recent DC Assault workout, Etou has done just that.

Speaking of his travel team home, what does he think of it?

“It’s a great experience” shared Etou in his soft spoken manner, when asked about DCA during Top 100 Camp. “We have a great program. The coaches are cool, and show us a lot”. One of the coaches, Darryl Prue, was highlighted by Junior as “A nice coach too – he’s our assistant coach. He helped me a lot on my post moves.” Over all he thinks DC Assault’s staff, including the head coach of Etou’s 17u team, former NBA bench leader Eddie Jordan “are good for us.”

Desiring to be a small forward in college (he is mirroring his domestic counterparts in that most 6’8” players do want to play that position), Etou knows his perimeter skill level must advance. “That’ why I’m going to work on my handle and jump shot this summer” he shared. “With DC Assault and O’Connell.”

Doing so will ensure success at the high major level as a half court three man for Junior Etou, who can also finish in transition, defend, rebound and provide energy. That’s a great combination for any school.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012...s-this-summer/
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an intriguing prospect. Maybe our new assistant can work his DC area contacts with DC Assault and sway him our way.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
Well, UC's recent past with Ibrahima Thomas and Mbodj can't hurt.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Junior Etou (DC Assault 2013) – Etou is a combo forward in the process of transitioning from the power forward spot out to the wing. If Wednesday morning’s game action is any indication the transition is going quite well. Etou made jump shots out to 18 feet and showed an ability to beat his man off the dribble. He also dominated the back boards against bigger front line players and scored inside through contact without a problem. If his handle and overall perimeter skills catch up to his athleticism over the next year, high majors will be lined up to secure his services.

Junior Etou (DC Assault 2013) – Etou will be leaving Arlington Country Day (FL) next year and finish his high school career at Bishop O’Connell (VA.) The combo forward already has a host of high major schools after his services as he claimed offers from Cincinnati, Miami, Memphis, West Virginia, Temple, Kansas, Arizona and Maryland. He plans to take his time and sign in the spring of next year as he really hasn’t delved into the recruiting process all that much to this point. He’s looking for a school that can offer him a chance to play immediately and wants to be recruited as a SF as opposed to a PF.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012...-camp-tuesday/
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
Is this kid Obekpa all over again in terms of play? Great defender immediately, offense needs some work?
Probably to a certain extent. Etou is a good shot blocker but not nearly on the level as Obekpa but Etou is wayyyy more physical. I believe Etou has always been rather raw on the offensive end but has played very well against other high-majors this week. He will be an interesting one to keep an eye on during July.
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
mplebanon
Elite Member

I'm not that crazy about him being a "SF" as opposed to a "PF". We need true "bigs". Not tweeners.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplebanon View Post
I'm not that crazy about him being a "SF" as opposed to a "PF". We need true "bigs". Not tweeners.
Fits the tough, rugged, physical SF role Mick is looking for.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Fits the tough, rugged, physical SF role Mick is looking for.
Don't know anything about the kid other than what I read here...but I think he sounds like a good fit.

I'm not sure what's not to like about a 6'8" SF that can defend and rebound...I love it. Also could play the 4 spot at Cincy in a system where the 4 is really a 3. Would allow him to be a potential defensive standout and defensive rebounder and then transition on the other end to go up against guys that are likely slower, hopefully advancing his offensive development.

The only problem...you still need a BIG to play on that team.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
C I N C Y

C I N C Y is on a distinguished road
College Basketball is different now. There are not many pure back to the basket post players anymore. I agree we need one guy at least 6'9 240 lbs to come in and rebound and develop some post moves. That would be for the 5 position. The 4 most times are face up players even in the NBA. A guy like Etou would be fine to play this spot as he can play offense like a 3/4 and still rebound and defend. Jermaine Lawrence is the same way. He is 6'9 but is a face up not a back to the basket player who is at the 4. There are usually only a handul of guys each year who come in and can play back to the basketball at the center spot and the UNC's, UK's, Duke's of the world usually scoop all of them up
C I N C Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
mplebanon
Elite Member

On the other hand. If he is getting great reviews and is in demand by top schools, and wants to be a Bearcat, I agree we make room for him. Mick nabbed KJ and Caupain because they wanted to commit now, and they were also highly rated. Better to have them in the fold than to be waiting for a kid who says all the right things but never commits (Obekpa).