Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
'14 KS (JUCO) C Coreontae DeBerry (Commit)

Heard via Twitter he has committed. Anyone have any other news on this guy?
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
Heard via Twitter he has committed. Anyone have any other news on this guy?
Wide wing span, athletic, player. Last I saw he was like 6'9" and around 260 lbs. Cannot say I have much recent on him without researching further but he was getting D1 looks before playing varsity in high school if I remember right. At one point he committed to Detroit. Played at Hutchinson C.C. in Kansas.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 08-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
This is kind of disappointing to me because it probably means the staff gave up on some of the more exciting centers we were going after. So is he going to play at his Community College this season and then join the team for 2014-2015 with 2 years of eligibility?
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
ReggieRankin Reggie Rankin
RT @JucoRecruiting: Correante DeBerry (6'10/270/F/2014) from Hutchinson CC has committed to Cincinnati
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
JackBauer151
Epic Member

JackBauer151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JackBauer151
Here is the big fella in high school.....

JackBauer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Mick just met his quota for sleepers, he always seems to pull at least one player out of nowhere. I did find this article on DeBerry, sounds like his potential makes him worth the risk:http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/in...eloping_t.html

His stats are pretty average (9 points and 5 rebounds/game), but he only played 13 minutes a game.

Last edited by JumpinJack5; 08-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
JackBauer151
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
This is kind of disappointing to me because it probably means the staff gave up on some of the more exciting centers we were going after. So is he going to play at his Community College this season and then join the team for 2014-2015 with 2 years of eligibility?
They havent given up anyone. You never stop recruiting. They obviously had an opportunity to shore up a position of need. They still are very much still in the game for guys like Quadri Moore and Gary Clarke. Goodluck, I think, was always a pipe dream for the Cats.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
JackBauer151
Epic Member

FLINT, MI – Physically, Coreontae DeBerry is intimidating.

His humongous stature appears threatening.

DeBerry is listed at 6-foot-9, 260 pounds. He also has huge hands and gigantic feet.

As a Holland High School senior, the big man originally committed to the University of Detroit-Mercy for hoops, but couldn't qualify academically.

The freshman center is easily the tallest and biggest player on the current men's basketball team at Mott Community College – ranked No. 2 in the country.

You can't always judge a book by its cover, though. His looks can be deceiving. DeBerry is one of the nicest guys on MCC's squad.

"I'm trying to get him a little tougher, physically," Mott Coach Steve Schmidt said. "He can be such an imposing presence -- and this is not a negative, but he's too nice of a kid. I need him to change his personality when we're competing.

"I'd like to see him get upset at some point in time and we've got to get him to play with an edge," he added. "He's going to be really good and I think he's going to be a key to our success in the post-season."

Schmidt's tactics have worked, as DeBerry is beginning to develop as a legitimate low-post threat. He has averaged 11 points over his last eight games – including a career-high 21 points and seven rebounds in MCC's win over Wayne County on Jan. 12.

DeBerry has tallied nightly averages of 9.5 points and 4.2 rebounds for the whole season.

"I'm still shocking myself with some of the stuff that I'm doing," DeBerry said. "To be honest, I'm kind of glad that I didn't go straight to a university because it's a lot of stuff that I still need to be working on and I'm getting that here (at Mott)."

DeBerry is gradually improving in all areas of college basketball. He is becoming more consistent after playing complacently at times. MCC assistant coach and former Bears player Marcus Skinner has been instrumental in that growth.

CoreontaeDeBerrymott vs schoolcraft_.JPG
View full size
Mott Community College freshman Coreontae DeBerry stares at his coach on the sidelines during MCC's men's basketball game against Schoolcraft College on Saturday, January 26, 2013.
Lauren Justice | MLive.com
"When he first came here, it was a big hype because we finally got a big man that was 6-9, 250, but he needed to work on a few things," said Skinner, who suited up for Mott from 2004-06. "So, basically, he's been a work in progress. Right now, he's still got to work to do but he's still getting better each day."

Skinner felt that DeBerry needed help improving his foot speed to be able to check players one-on-one in defensive situations. He makes DeBerry complete at least 600 jump ropes every day after practice to get quicker. Skinner is also helping DeBerry develop more range with his post moves and lately everything has been coming together beautifully.

"It's been like poetry in motion to see all of his hard work finally paying off, but we've just got to make sure that he doesn't settle," said Skinner, a Flint Southwestern Academy graduate. "He has to keep working to get better."

Earlier in the season, DeBerry was a full-time starter, but took on a reserve role briefly. Schmidt even suspended DeBerry for three games to improve his academic and overall focus. DeBerry didn't fail any classes, but wasn't applying himself to Schmidt's standards in the classroom. He turned in assignments late and made poor decisions. MCC won three consecutive games during that stretch of his absence and DeBerry returned with a newfound resurgence.

C.DeBerry.2.jpg
View full size
Coreontae DeBerry
MCC Athletics
"I did not like being on the bench. I needed to be in the games," DeBerry said. "Even though they were winning, I still felt like I could help my team out with certain stuff that I thought we needed. I learned a lesson. My goal was to become a different player after sitting out those games."

Schmidt notices DeBerry's adjustments but the legendary coach is still not cutting his big man any slack. He wants DeBerry to take his game to the next level by maximizing his full potential throughout his two-year MCC experience. No excuses.

"I have a saying that goes: It's easy to be average, but it takes hard work to be good," Schmidt stated. "Anybody can be average and I don't want him to be average and that's why I sent a message to him and it was loud and clear and he got it.

"He could become the most dominant post player that the MCCAA has seen," he said. "I've been here a long time and I haven't seen too many players with this type of potential. But again, what is potential if you don't reach it?"

http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/in...eloping_t.html
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Frankly Mick needed to get a JUCO because they are going to need some more experienced big men in 2014. I wouldn't have minded even landing a JUCO big in this years class because they are going to be super thin in the front court in 2014.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Just read Kochs article on him. The quotes from his coach just kept saying how dominant he was when he wanted to be; said he had an NBA body but had to improve his motor. Sounds vaguely familiar.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote