Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #721
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
He's known to have an incredible worth ethic. That's pretty much all that's known.

After what we just had, give me the gym rats. This seems like a guy that can thrive with a coach like brannen.

Mason, Gabe and Saunders were all coaches kids and gym rats. Brannen talked a lot about he specifically wants those types of guys. Hopefully it works out better this time around.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #722
skyblade
Epic Member

I'm not excited about an unranked big man with limited athleticism. I know we need guys, but everyone would be trashing this type of recruit if Cronin got him.

Brannen was supposed to improve recruiting, not have fans try to get excited over how he can utilize low ranked recruits.

He's better than Vogt coming back or giving Banks a scholarship.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #723
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm not excited about an unranked big man with limited athleticism. I know we need guys, but everyone would be trashing this type of recruit if Cronin got him.

Brannen was supposed to improve recruiting, not have fans try to get excited over how he can utilize low ranked recruits.

We need to fill out the roster. Rotation players, role players, and developmental players. This kid fits in there somewhere and as a shooter is already useful. We aren't getting 13 rotational guys and likely never will. Mick usually had about 7. And the rest was filled with role guys or developing players. I think Brannen wants at least 8 rotational guys if not 9. So we shall see as we fill out the roster what we get.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #724
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Brannen got good recruits, they just left. The guys could play though. I get that people are mad but it’s ok for fans to be excited about recruits. It’s also ok to admit he does some things well without liking the guy.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #725
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You’re a broken record at this point
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #726
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We need to fill out the roster. Rotation players, role players, and developmental players. This kid fits in there somewhere and as a shooter is already useful. We aren't getting 13 rotational guys and likely never will. Mick usually had about 7. And the rest was filled with role guys or developing players. I think Brannen wants at least 8 rotational guys if not 9. So we shall see as we fill out the roster what we get.
Also getting a HS big kid this late in the game with his skills is a win. Normally you would fill some slots with HS kids early on and then come in and see what you need in the transfer market to fill holes or get some experience to let the frosh come along slowly.

If you grab really good transfers first...good luck getting quality from HS kids who play the same positions. Right now the HS kids see the playing time available. Even if we get some HS recruits there are experienced transfers out there who know freshmen will take some time and not be intimidated by their addition to the roster. They will still see the playing time.

If you work it backwards and grab the experienced transfer first then HS kids may see a year of sitting on the bench and it may not be as appealing. Spell is a very good get at the moment because of those reasons.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:51 AM   #727
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Brannen got good recruits, they just left. The guys could play though. I get that people are mad but it’s ok for fans to be excited about recruits. It’s also ok to admit he does some things well without liking the guy.
You think the recruits leaving were good enough to get us a top 4 seed? That's the goal, get a high seed and advance in the tourney. Eason was, the rest though...

Are you going to say but he was actually good when mason transfers to Toledo or where. Seems hypocritical considering you judged Cronin recruits by where they transferred to.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #728
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:

He's not ranked bc of covid...
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #729
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You think the recruits leaving were good enough to get us a top 4 seed? That's the goal, get a high seed and advance in the tourney. Eason was, the rest though...

Are you going to say but he was actually good when mason transfers to Toledo or where. Seems hypocritical considering you judged Cronin recruits by where they transferred to.
If they stayed and we built on that, yes I think they would have been good in a few years. That’s your problem, you think every recruit is supposed to make the team a top seed immediately. It’s a process that you build on. You need different guys. You can’t have 10 guys that all need the ball. With cronins best team, the 2018 team. It was built over years. We got Kyle 3 years before. He sat. Cane Brooke, same. We put them in with Gary, Jacob, and a young jarron. You’re too short sided to see anything that doesn’t happen right now.

We need a lot more. Could this be a piece? Yes.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-19-2021 at 11:59 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #730
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

If we kept the roster in tact I was thinking in two years about that top 4 seed. Because the young guys were playing well but had two more years to keep getting better. Also you fill the holes with a couple of transfers and keep filling the roster out with more HS recruits. Maybe some of the young guys are still role players at that point...but very good ones.

If we brought in the right 5 and a stud wing...I thought it was shaping up pretty good. But what is the point now in wondering? It fell apart. Gotta pick up the pieces and move forward.