Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #1261
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Don’t be that guy. Give the guy a chance before we want the guy fired.
Agreed, most of this fan base are in love with the Huggins era and hopefully this can unite us in some way, Brannen was crucified from literally day one, when some of the best players from past teams are killing you on social media it makes it hard to move forward, most fans aren't like us, they don't follow as closely as we do, so to them this is like bringing a piece of Huggins back. I liked Mick (I wish he did better in the tournament) John Brannen was an ass and his staff was basically his NKU staff which I knew would not work here and then he brought in Chris Vogt... but I was all in on him until he basically told our senior conference player of the year that it was his was or no way, well until we started to lose and then John caved but that's in the past. No matter who the coach is I think we should all be on board until given a reason not to. The situation is a little different this time around, John came into a great situation and ran it into the ground. Erik is coming into a mess and I don't think he can miss on his staff or his early recruits.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #1262
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would hope part of a head coach interview would include potential plans to hire assistants and where strengths and weaknesses may be. Apparently that went well.

He's had a lot of time to learn from Huggs. NVE would provide a different type of experience to the staff. Would need another experienced coach I would assume and then someone else who can help with recruiting.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #1263
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Never forget Devin Williams from Withrow. He was underutilized raw talent at Withrow, but was able to get with Huggs at WVU, and Martin and crew got him together to the point of possibly being drafted.

Hopefully if it's Martin, we will have some skilled bigs for years to come.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #1264
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
If we are looking at the local players in the next couple seasons, maybe this was the best hire we could make to get those guys. It sure would be fun if we could win with local guys.

There are guys in the portal to be had. Hopefully he can convince everybody we currently have to stay and we can pick a few guys off the portal.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #1265
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Never forget Devin Williams from Withrow. He was underutilized raw talent at Withrow, but was able to get with Huggs at WVU, and Martin and crew got him together to the point of possibly being drafted.

Hopefully if it's Martin, we will have some skilled bigs for years to come.
McBride nba player
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #1266
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
So we're going with the Assistant to the Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Seems like a risky move, but we'll see what happens. I have no idea what to expect from Martin. Is he a strategist or a recruiter at this point in his career? Or can he be a good manager that relies on a top level staff?
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #1267
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
So we're going with the Assistant to the Assistant to the Regional Manager.

Seems like a risky move, but we'll see what happens. I have no idea what to expect from Martin. Is he a strategist or a recruiter at this point in his career? Or can he be a good manager that relies on a top level staff?

About time we take some positive risks. I'd rather have a coach that we don't know what to expect, versus someone we can analyze as fans, and create our own entitlement.

A true "Sit Back and Enjoy the Ride Moment" if hired.

In life something may always go wrong, to bad we are always looking at the worst before we even start.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #1268
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Maybe Tari will want to play for Martin and Mikey will want to play for Nick the Quick.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #1269
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think this hire more to do with Donors than it does actual basketball.

The Red Sweater vests have been longing for Huggins Era 2.0 and they likely will cough up more money if its Erik Martin.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #1270
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

Did Martin have some recruiting chops? I'm really not sure what he did for WVU. Anybody got a break down of what to expect?
Then maybe you should stop crying or whining about analytics and give the guy a chance.

At the very least, if you're going to put a guy "10th on your list" and call him the "4th assistant" you should at least do some reseach on the guy.