Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #771
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that Banks has been placed on scholly. Also, in theory, only one of our guys for sure will be gone after next year and that is Koval. DeJulius and Newman will have the option to return another year correct? One has to think that room will be kept open for the possibility of PMac and/or Mahaffrey.

What is the thought on how we will utilize the scholarships? Any reason to believe Newman and DeJulius would go another year?

Just spitballing. No argument.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #772
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Those are good points. I have 11 players in my depth chart. Adding Banks makes 12, which leaves 1 spot open. Koval only has one year left, which opens up another spot for 2 incoming freshman next year. If any of the additional incoming transfers were seniors, that will open more spots.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #773
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
We're down to only 1 spot left?

Sorry, the more I think about this the more disappointed I get.

One of the biggest questions I had about Miller was whether he could recruit nationally and whether he could attract quality coaches to build out his staff.

So far every single person we've brought in has ties to UNC Greensboro.

Chris Lepore - UNCG assistant

Andre Morgan - Middle Tennessee State - Former UNCG assistant

Mike Roberts - Administrative role at IU - Former UNCG assistant

John Newman III - UNCG commit (transfer from Clemson)

Hayden Korval - UNCG transfer

Jarrett Hensley - UNCG transfer

3 coaches all with UNCG ties, and 3 players all with UNCG ties. Now apparently with only one spot remaining.

This is exactly what I did not want to see. If Miller doesn't absoltely hit it out of the park with his remaining spots (1 player and 1 coach???) then color me completely unimpressed.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #774
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
maybe we can go by UCG next year
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #775
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
My depth chart includes 2 transfers. So we have 3 spots left right now. I wouldn't want to add more than 2 transfers unless at least one of them is a senior like Koval.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #776
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
I'm just glad he is putting a team together to compete. Wes's player moves to me, makes me think he's building the program he got handed the keys to.

Of course there will be tons of negativity behind some of the player moves, but I don't understand why.

Miller could be building his practice squad, to enhance his potential starters growth.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #777
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post

Sorry, the more I think about this the more disappointed I get.

One of the biggest questions I had about Miller was whether he could recruit nationally and whether he could attract quality coaches to build out his staff.

So far every single person we've brought in has ties to UNC Greensboro.

Chris Lepore - UNCG assistant

Andre Morgan - Middle Tennessee State - Former UNCG assistant

Mike Roberts - Administrative role at IU - Former UNCG assistant

John Newman III - UNCG commit (transfer from Clemson)

Hayden Korval - UNCG transfer

Jarrett Hensley - UNCG transfer

3 coaches all with UNCG ties, and 3 players all with UNCG ties. Now apparently with only one spot remaining.

This is exactly what I did not want to see. If Miller doesn't absoltely hit it out of the park with his remaining spots (1 player and 1 coach???) then color me completely unimpressed.
The players in the portal are as good as gone. Once you go in the portal we can recruit your spot as I understand. We have 3 spots open and need 2 home runs or at least two triples
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #778
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
The more I think about it the more I want to keep Dejulius. Mikey is the future but still needs to figure out how to control with his speed. MAW is good enough to facilitate an offense but can’t break down a defense. DD can create and is a good passer in the lane and rebounder. His shooting will get better.

If we are going to score we need him and another play maker
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #779
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

I don't think anyone wants to get rid of DDJ, but we don't know what he's thinking right now. We have been in touch with at least one PG so who knows. I am sure we will try to bring in a playmaking PG if he decides to transfer. I would assume he stays though.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #780
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think this roster as it stands right now will be better than last years team. Better in overall wins and better in Kenpom/NET.

Why do I think that?
-Chemistry Matters.. a team full of guys who want to play hard for their coach is going to have a whole lot more success than teams who hate their coach. I've watched Mick Cronin teams that lost Jacob Evans, Kyle Washington & Gary Clark, still bond together and make the tourney even though the talent had fallen off.

-Defense Matters... A team and coach who values defense as a first priority will always raise their floor. They won't need to rely on shots falling near as much if they play lock down defense.

-Shooting matters- I think DDJ is a good shooter and will shoot far better than he did last season. Madsen is an elite shooter, MAW is a shooter, Davenport can splash, Koval can splash for a big guy. There is a legit chance that UC could run out multiple lineups where every player is a at least a 30% shooter. Even John Newman, in his healthy first 2 seasons shot over 30% from 3. He isn't a splasher but he is a credible three point shooter.

-Rim Protection Matters- This one isn't fully complete yet as I feel like defensively in terms of rim protectors and athleticism, we still have a lot of work to do. But None the less, Koval has the 3rd best block% in the country. That will come in handy and if we add more athleticism around him, that could get even better.

If DDJ decides to be a late transfer, I honestly won't be that sad. I think he can really help us But I don't believe he is a PG but rather a really undersized 2 guard. I think this team maybe long term better if Mikey starts with MAW, Newman, JD and Koval. But its also never bad to give Mikey another year under his belt before its his team to run.

Lets look at the synergy defensive grades of our team:
MAW: .72 (82% Very Good)
JD: .78 ( 68% Very Good)
DJD: .73 (80% Very Good)
Madsen: .90 (34% Average)
Mikey: .92 (29% Below Average)
Hensley: .90 (34% Average)
Koval: .79 (64% Good)
Newman (I used his pre injury soph stat, bigger sample size): .71 ( 84% Excellent)

So if DJD, MAW, Newman, JD & Koval are our starting 5, it looks like it could be a hell of a defensive lineup.. With Newman being that Lockdown wing we needed Keith to be.

Add in that, if that is your starting 5, you have shooting at all 5 spots.

its not going to win you a championship, but it will win you games that you lost last year

Last edited by justinhub2003; 04-23-2021 at 08:48 PM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote