Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #201
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Gonna do the board a favor.

I won’t post again until we win.

It’s self imposed ban much like the one Arizona one.

Did the same for BCJ. Lol with this team, it maybe a permanent ban.

Later dudes
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #202
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Gonna do the board a favor.

I won’t post again until we win.

It’s self imposed ban much like the one Arizona one.

Did the same for BCJ. Lol with this team, it maybe a permanent ban.

Later dudes
Just make sense. All I ask
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #203
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I would say defense is about discipline. Trying hard when you're exhausted is how you get exploited by patient, methodical offenses. Toughness is about being unfazed by an aggressive opponent and maintaining discipline. Toughness is the opposite of energy, intensity, and effort. It's the antidote.
I probably started this with a couple of words like energy and effort but what I really meant was I want players who give a shit. Enthusiasm. Competitiveness. Winning attitude etc.

We started out against Tulsa looking like a team of zombies. Give me a couple of players who get fired up over a good play or can fire up another player who makes a good play. Feed off of that. When the crowd isn't there you need these players to create the spark or the coach. But Brannen is not a fiery guy so he has to find the players who are.

Hell right now I'll take Davenport, Dou, Saunders and the guy who just opted out Gabe. They show more fire than the others. In some of them you see it on the bench...they are more excited than the players on the court. It's tough to do when you are losing or when you can't score...but we need some damn emotion right now...especially right now.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #204
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I probably started this with a couple of words like energy and effort but what I really meant was I want players who give a shit. Enthusiasm. Competitiveness. Winning attitude etc.

We started out against Tulsa looking like a team of zombies. Give me a couple of players who get fired up over a good play or can fire up another player who makes a good play. Feed off of that. When the crowd isn't there you need these players to create the spark or the coach. But Brannen is not a fiery guy so he has to find the players who are.

Hell right now I'll take Davenport, Dou, Saunders and the guy who just opted out Gabe. They show more fire than the others. In some of them you see it on the bench...they are more excited than the players on the court. It's tough to do when you are losing or when you can't score...but we need some damn emotion right now...especially right now.
This team is definitely missing an emotional leader. Although they are quiet, I think Eason and Harvey are the most talented, which gives me hope since they are both still very young. If someone like Davenport can become that leader then we have something to build on. Right now the upperclassmen seem to be doing more harm than good.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #205
cincyguy13
Epic Member

To be fair to Justin and the “cronin toughness ball” crowd, I do think that style of basketball is the quickest way to succeed. Slow everything down, limit possessions, muck up the game. I also think that style is the most limited. It will beat teams that aren’t good, but good teams don’t have an issue with it
Old 01-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #206
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Time to channel some Bruce Lee.

"The creating individual is always more important than any established style or system."

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
Old 01-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #207
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
UCLA has the 11th best offense in the country. What ever Mick is doing over there, he should probably keep doing.

They just beat top 25 Colorado without their best NBA prospect who is now done for the season.

Recruiting to the AAC is absolutely brutal. And John Brannen is starting to realize that. His first failure in recruiting was recruiting a good recruiter to come to UC.. He said na, Ill stay in the SEC and at Alabama. And now we have a full on Mid Major staff, like his number one guy is not a young cat, he is a career long mid major coach.

But people on this very board used to hammer Mick's recruiting. They said Mick couldn't recruit and I always said that recruiting to this busted ass misfit league is always going to be a challenge. John Brannen is getting a lot of No's now. and now that we suck and look pitiful, its going to be harder to get those recruits.

But man, what mick is doing in year 2 with players who are just average by UCLA standards, is pretty remarkable. The dude now has a top 11 offense and yet doesn't have a 5 star on the team which is not normal for UCLA.

My question is: Why are bama, ucla & Arkansas better than us and seemingly on a better projected path than us??? All 3 of those schools were in worse shape than UC when they all took over.

Why are those schools picking up faster than UC?
Ill start this now, since we are going to lose on Sunday. How the hell is Wichita State. Who lost almost every player on their roster and their coach not struggling as much as we are?
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #208
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
Ill start this now, since we are going to lose on Sunday. How the hell is Wichita State. Who lost almost every player on their roster and their coach not struggling as much as we are?
Of their five starters, four were significant contributors last year and the fifth is a grad transfer from a similar program (Alterique Gilbert). Not really that dire. Then add in the fact that Tyson Etienne has turned into a great scorer in his second year and you have a decent team.

Optimistic fact: only 3 of the top 11 American conference players (per Torvik) are seniors. The conference could be pretty good in a couple years.

Depressing fact: none of them play for Cincinnati. Our best player is Keith at #14, and then next is Davenport at #29.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #209
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Of their five starters, four were significant contributors last year and the fifth is a grad transfer from a similar program (Alterique Gilbert). Not really that dire. Then add in the fact that Tyson Etienne has turned into a great scorer in his second year and you have a decent team.

Optimistic fact: only 3 of the top 11 American conference players (per Torvik) are seniors. The conference could be pretty good in a couple years.

Depressing fact: none of them play for Cincinnati. Our best player is Keith at #14, and then next is Davenport at #29.
Of all the teams in the league, beating Wichita is still the funnest to beat. Since UConn is gone. Wichita legitimately thought they would come in and run the league.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #210
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I'm taking it that cincyguy13 and sedziobs were Brannen guys from the start.. at least Cincyguy13 admitted Brannen has sucked thus far. I'm not understanding the circular discussion of Cronin or Brannen, it should be understood at this point that Cronins better. Hes gone, he left, wasn't kept whatever that's ok. I just got done listening to Brannens random presser and for some reason this guys still talking about mental health, using covid as an excuse and a team whiffle ball game that they apparently played, as a group, in spare time.. Brannen still sounds like his laid back self, still talking about how things take time. He did everything but kick his feet up. Im disgusted
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote