Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #211
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I am definitely not a Brannen guy. Feel free to peruse the thread discussing coaching candidates from April 2019 to see where everyone stood: bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12324

Here's a a sample of my position:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I'd prefer a mid-major coach with sustained success over a Van Exel type. Some others I would consider:
Russ Turner (UC Irvine)
Steve Forbes (E Tenn St)
Bob Richey (Furman)
John Becker (Vermont)
Scott Nagy (Wright St, previously S Dakota St)
Mark Schmidt (St Bonaventure)

The more I think about this, the more I like Scott Nagy. He had a great run at South Dakota St, bringing them up from D2 and making 3 NCAA tournaments in his last 5 years there. He has finished 1st or 2nd in his conference 7 of the last 8 years, the only exception being his first at Wright St.
Quote:
I hope we don't give in to the local or nostalgic hire when there are options with a superior track record available. Of the list I gave, I think only Mark Schmidt is comparable to Brannen. The others look better to my eye.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #212
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
And in case you think I wanted Cronin out:
Quote:
After missing the sweet sixteen in 7 straight seasons, Rick Barnes was fired at Texas despite going to the tournament 6 times and advancing to the second round 3 times in that span. He's now going to the sweet sixteen at Tennessee. Meanwhile, Texas hired Shaka Smart and hasn't won a tournament game since.

Firing a good coach who hasn't had success in March can backfire, even if you can hire a perceived great coach like Shaka Smart.
Quote:
It takes a combination of size, athleticism and skill to be a top team. Whichever one of those we don't have will be the one everyone complains about.

We had skilled players in Broome and Jenifer and people complained about not having enough perimeter size. We complain that our big guys don't have enough skill. We had a big, skilled guard in Caupain that we complained wasn't athletic enough. This is going to be the case for every team that can't regularly get 5 star recruits. They're all going to be deficient in some area, except for a few upperclassmen here and there like Gary. This is just a fact of life at Cincinnati, whether or not Cronin is our coach.

I think he would be able to consistently get 5 star players at UCLA, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he leaves. I just don't think we should force him out.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #213
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I am definitely not a Brannen guy. Feel free to peruse the thread discussing coaching candidates from April 2019 to see where everyone stood: bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12324

Here's a a sample of my position:
Well.... just checkin. I'm proud of you. Sleeping on Van Exel tho
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 AM   #214
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Brannen was asked about this on the radio last night and he says they have a few high school guys they are involved with, but he expects most of the new players who will be added for next year to be collegiate transfers, and also that with the new no-penalty transfer rule, he would expect those not to be grad transfers but guys earlier in their careers with multiple years of eligibility left who can be part of building what he is trying to build. He did make a comment saying they weren't too interested in JC players.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #215
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Brannen was asked about this on the radio last night and he says they have a few high school guys they are involved with, but he expects most of the new players who will be added for next year to be collegiate transfers, and also that with the new no-penalty transfer rule, he would expect those not to be grad transfers but guys earlier in their careers with multiple years of eligibility left who can be part of building what he is trying to build. He did make a comment saying they weren't too interested in JC players.
Interesting. I had not thought about the no-penalty rule. That is definitely encouraging that we don't have to fill with grad transfers.

So right now we have Keith, and Vogt as SR's. Rap is gone. Not sure what Gabe will do but I would expect a return.

If either Keith or Vogt stay...do we still have to stay at 13 scholarships? I don't expect Keith to stay. Not sure what to say about Vogt.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #216
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
There arent many high school kids left worth recruiting. At this point, best case scenario is we land high impact transfers because theres noone in high school that will help the situation next year.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #217
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Interesting. I had not thought about the no-penalty rule. That is definitely encouraging that we don't have to fill with grad transfers.

So right now we have Keith, and Vogt as SR's. Rap is gone. Not sure what Gabe will do but I would expect a return.

If either Keith or Vogt stay...do we still have to stay at 13 scholarships? I don't expect Keith to stay. Not sure what to say about Vogt.
College sports is basically free agency right now with the one time free transfer rule going into effect next near , we still have a shot to get a couple quality players , but this is a dangerous game JB is playing relying on transfers , we also retain our freshman class as freshman due to this year not counting eligibility wise, so I am not jumping off the cliff yet like most people on here with no one signed for 2021, there is a method to JB’s madness and while I do not agree with it I am going to see how it plays out before I start calling for brannens job ...

I would also expect for Keith and Vogt to leave.... also it works both ways with the transfer rule, don’t be surprised to see some players leave on our end as well
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #218
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
So I'm taking it that cincyguy13 and sedziobs were Brannen guys from the start.. at least Cincyguy13 admitted Brannen has sucked thus far. I'm not understanding the circular discussion of Cronin or Brannen, it should be understood at this point that Cronins better. Hes gone, he left, wasn't kept whatever that's ok. I just got done listening to Brannens random presser and for some reason this guys still talking about mental health, using covid as an excuse and a team whiffle ball game that they apparently played, as a group, in spare time.. Brannen still sounds like his laid back self, still talking about how things take time. He did everything but kick his feet up. Im disgusted
I have no connection to either coach. I’m not a brannen guy or cronin guy. I want the program to reach the heights I think it can reach. Of all our options, I would have preferred mick to stay. When he left, I had to move on. Brannen was my 1st choice but I would have been fine with any up and coming coach. Brannen dominated that league he was in. I didn’t want frank martin. Would have been fine with van exel but a lot of times the former player thing doesn’t go well.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #219
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
So I'm taking it that cincyguy13 and sedziobs were Brannen guys from the start.. at least Cincyguy13 admitted Brannen has sucked thus far. I'm not understanding the circular discussion of Cronin or Brannen, it should be understood at this point that Cronins better. Hes gone, he left, wasn't kept whatever that's ok. I just got done listening to Brannens random presser and for some reason this guys still talking about mental health, using covid as an excuse and a team whiffle ball game that they apparently played, as a group, in spare time.. Brannen still sounds like his laid back self, still talking about how things take time. He did everything but kick his feet up. Im disgusted
I don’t think brannen has sucked the whole time. Last year I think it did well. Yes, he had better players, but he still won the league. You have to have good players to win, which is part of the issue now. I don’t think we have good players. This year brannen has struggled to adjust. While I don’t think this team is great or good, we shouldn’t be 2-6
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #220
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t think brannen has sucked the whole time. Last year I think it did well. Yes, he had better players, but he still won the league. You have to have good players to win, which is part of the issue now. I don’t think we have good players. This year brannen has struggled to adjust. While I don’t think this team is great or good, we shouldn’t be 2-6
I think this team for the most part has found the "Black Hole of Confidence"...otherwise known as the McNeal Hole. We are questioning our 3's because we haven't made them. You can't make shots if you have to think about them. There is little confidence out there. We are not in shooting position when we catch the ball. It's hard to explain how Dejulius is shooting 18% from 3. We know he can shoot better...it's in his damn head. We've seen this before in the Cronin era...individual players can get in their own head. Also shooting is contagious and or confidence is. I think we just need to see some shots fall so we can play freely without thinking too much.

Vogt is "getting the business" on the inside because we can't make shots and even when he does manage to get position nobody can get it to him in the right spot at the right time. Many times I seem him posting up as the ball is being reversed. The timing is way off. He's almost useless if we can't get him the ball on the block.

This team has players better than what they are playing. Brannen has to get in their heads. Keep telling them to shoot I guess...we gotta get out of that funk. Or like Cronin used to do...tell them to take it to the rack and get fouled or go get some rebounds or a steal to get your confidence back up and then take then 3's. Get out on break and slam it...have some fun out there. This team is not having fun out there. 50% of this is a mental issue that can be adjusted. The other 50% is coaching and execution.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote