Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
UC #17 in both polls. X is either 13 or 14
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
MacBearcat
Banned

MacBearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal070508 View Post
They had a week to prepare for the shootout and looked lost out there. Its not like they had to fly to jersey. They had a 5 minute drive down the street.

Washington couldn't handle Kanter who was also shooting at a very low percentage before Saturday. What makes you think he will be able to guard his guy this coming Saturday? The early season schedule has done them a great disservice.
I've been saying this all year leading up to Xavier game. You simply cannot schedule like that to start the year and expect to win your first true test. That being said, I hope that we are able to get that taste out of our mouths and bounce back. Washington, who has spoken of aspirations of playing at the next level, really needs to have a big game against Florida. If he repeats that disappearing act as he did at X we are in for a long day come Saturday.
MacBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
UC #17 in both polls. X is either 13 or 14
Florida #5 and WSU #6 in both polls.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBearcat View Post
I've been saying this all year leading up to Xavier game. You simply cannot schedule like that to start the year and expect to win your first true test. That being said, I hope that we are able to get that taste out of our mouths and bounce back. Washington, who has spoken of aspirations of playing at the next level, really needs to have a big game against Florida. If he repeats that disappearing act as he did at X we are in for a long day come Saturday.
What happens to all the teams that won their "first true test of the season"? Tex A & M played WVU and beat them in the first game. Duke and MSU both met in their first true test. UK and KU played in their first true test. Wichita played Marq and Cal but lost their "first true test" to ND.

I am not sure I buy into any of this BS. Can it help? Sure. Is it required? Absolutely not!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #25
MacBearcat
Banned

MacBearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What happens to all the teams that won their "first true test of the season"? Tex A & M played WVU and beat them in the first game. Duke and MSU both met in their first true test. UK and KU played in their first true test. Wichita played Marq and Cal but lost their "first true test" to ND.

I am not sure I buy into any of this BS. Can it help? Sure. Is it required? Absolutely not!
I agree but a lot of those programs mentioned also recruit and get high 4 and 5 star players that can mask a lot of early season problems that most teams (Cincinnati) have to work through. It would help had we scheduled at least a few teams that were in the top 100 vs mostly teams rated 150 or worse...
MacBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #26
eric3287

eric3287 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If our guys were surprised in this game in any way because they were playing patsies so far...then we have much bigger problems. The starters have all been in big games for the most part. They knew it was going to be a "war" out there.

I don't think you need a practice war to win a war. A good general can win either way. I hate using the war terminology because I think it's a disservice to our military and situations that are exponentially much tougher than a freaking basketball game. But it is an analogy that gets used in sports a lot so I use it very lightly and with the utmost respect.
Surprised might not be the right word, but I think certain things can only be developed when you're tested against top notch competition. Clark, Washington, and Evans all started last year, but there are two new point guards basically and a new 2 guard in Cumberland. The past two years, everyone new Troy was the go to in crunch time. None of the returning starters had really been that guy, and you can't really develop the chemistry you need when you're blowing teams out of the gym.

I saw comments from earlier games, and had even thought so myself, "Look at how well the offense is playing without Evans having to take over." It took way too long, but I'm hoping the last half of that game Saturday is evidence of the players getting better chemistry and better "crunch time rep." I've thought they'd have a better shot at Florida than X just because of the schedule, so hopefully I'll be right.
eric3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

The bottom line is that it is a fallacy to build up from small games to medium games to big games before you can win them. We just got smoked because we stunk it up.

Most teams in the NCAA tourney have been tested multiple times but only SOME will excel in March. It's a player issue...it's a coaching issue...it's a matchup issue It's not a testing issue.

Look at X and UC last year. WE won the game. X out performed us in tourney. Not because of testing. Xavier finished 9-9 in their conference last year...ranked 7th. But they did better than all other Big East teams in the dance. Testing? No they all got tested virtually the same.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
75-70 Florida
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #29
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
75-70 Florida
its hard to think we will beat a top 5 team after Saturday. If we don't win some of these games this year, I don't know when we will. This is the best team we will have in the near future
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Florida State up by 7 at Florida at half. 42-35.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote