Mustangs win 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #121
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
I don't think Cumberland is getting fouled any more, without getting calls, than any typical college basketball player. He has faced some physical defense, but so has every Bearcat opponent the past 30 years. If we want Cumberland to go to the line every time someone breathes on him, then we should also want him to foul out in the first half every night. Fair is fair.

He is playing pretty poorly the past few games. It is what it is. Last night, he missed several fairly easy attempts in the paint. This has been a problem all year - he has shot better from beyond the arc than inside it. Teams have figured this out, and are basically daring him to beat them off the dribble because even when he does, he just misses a floater or a layup. When he starts hitting those shots, he will get more room on the perimeter.
You think Cumberland is defended the same way as every Bearcat the last 30 years? He is the focal point of every defense! He has to fight through contact to get the ball on most possessions or to get to a spot on the court. He is being impeded along the way as much as possible. We have to screen 2-3 times to get him the ball. Because he is big enough to fight through the refs probably let it go too often but none of our other players have to go through that.

It is what it is...but it's not the same for everyone.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #122
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You think Cumberland is defended the same way as every Bearcat the last 30 years? He is the focal point of every defense! He has to fight through contact to get the ball on most possessions or to get to a spot on the court. He is being impeded along the way as much as possible. We have to screen 2-3 times to get him the ball. Because he is big enough to fight through the refs probably let it go too often but none of our other players have to go through that.

It is what it is...but it's not the same for everyone.

this is why what SK did his sr year was so impressive. he faced all this and scored fewer than 16 points just once in conference play (and it was 13 points).

its an incredibly difficult role for any player to pull off. i feel like we've been able to see cumberland slowly wearing down. hopefully he's able to get his legs again soon.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #123
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
this is why what SK did his sr year was so impressive. he faced all this and scored fewer than 16 points just once in conference play (and it was 13 points).

its an incredibly difficult role for any player to pull off. i feel like we've been able to see cumberland slowly wearing down. hopefully he's able to get his legs again soon.
I certainly think wearing down can be a part of the equation but his last 8 games before the last 3 he was averaging 24.5 ppg. His last 3 games have been around 10 ppg. If he was wearing down I would expect a gradual decline...not falling off a cliff.

I think the opposing D has been different these past few games than we had seen prior. They haven't given him good looks at 3 and the refs aren't calling the fouls anymore so he isn't getting to the line as much. That is where he was getting a large % of his points.

Probably a combination of wearing down a bit along with other factors. I would still like to see him launch more 3's even with a man in his face as he has shown the ability to make those. Can't do anything about the fouls. Even if he is wearing down I would think he can still put up 17-18 points per game if the other issues didn't exist.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #124
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I would like to see Jarron do a little more of the pump fake mid range 2 where he has shown the ability to draw contact or make the shot. He has been mainly using the floater with not a lot of success.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #125
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I certainly think wearing down can be a part of the equation but his last 8 games before the last 3 he was averaging 24.5 ppg. His last 3 games have been around 10 ppg. If he was wearing down I would expect a gradual decline...not falling off a cliff.

I think the opposing D has been different these past few games than we had seen prior. They haven't given him good looks at 3 and the refs aren't calling the fouls anymore so he isn't getting to the line as much. That is where he was getting a large % of his points.

Probably a combination of wearing down a bit along with other factors. I would still like to see him launch more 3's even with a man in his face as he has shown the ability to make those. Can't do anything about the fouls. Even if he is wearing down I would think he can still put up 17-18 points per game if the other issues didn't exist.
I agree with you and it couldn't of happened at a worse time either with our 3 toughest games coming up against a rising Memphis, UFC in Orlando and Houston at home. Then right into the conference tourney and then right in to the NCAA tourney. There are no more breaks at this point in the season and everyone in the country has played the same amount of games so I don't feel bad for Jarron for being "tired", elite players find a way to become elite when it matters most and the next couple of weeks will show if Jarron at this point of his career is an elite player.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #126
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Mick’s post game was pretty good. He has been very entertaining to listen to this year. Worth a listen...he could be in broadcasting if decides to get out of coaching.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #127
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:

He’s 21 years old, he is not getting worn down. He may be getting annoyed with how often he’s allowed to be hand checked, he may be taking it easy. He’s not getting worn down. And as was said by someone else, those fouls would get called come tourney time. Cumberland will be ready and he will be a beast in the tourney this year, mark my words
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #128
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
He’s 21 years old, he is not getting worn down. He may be getting annoyed with how often he’s allowed to be hand checked, he may be taking it easy. He’s not getting worn down. And as was said by someone else, those fouls would get called come tourney time. Cumberland will be ready and he will be a beast in the tourney this year, mark my words

21 or not I dont think you understand how hard it is to do what he's been doing.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #129
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
21 or not I dont think you understand how hard it is to do what he's been doing.
I do understand, and he’s young. I really don’t think him being tired has much to do with it. Call it a slump or lazy/frustrated play as of late, just don’t think I fatigue has much to do with.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #130
Union Bearcat

Union Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I do understand, and he’s young. I really don’t think him being tired has much to do with it. Call it a slump or lazy/frustrated play as of late, just don’t think I fatigue has much to do with.
Jarron will have 30 Saturday.
Union Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote