Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who is exceeding your expectations the most?
Cumberland 6 16.67%
Williams 18 50.00%
Brooks 5 13.89%
Jenifer 7 19.44%
Scott 0 0%
Broome 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
After losing 3 of 4 of our top offensive threats and replacing them with mediocre scorers (if that) many thought Cumberland was going to find it very hard to be effective or get any breathing room. Well, even though we have seen some surprises on offense Cumberland is still getting “the business” every time he touches the ball yet he still finds a way to get points on the board or impact the game.

I did not think he was going to be able to handle all that pressure but he just keeps getting better as the game goes on and gets to crunch time. IMO he deserves to be in the playing above expectations coversation. It’s not easy to put a team on your back like that all the time. SK was an All American...it’s rare
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Cartel

Cartel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
After losing 3 of 4 of our top offensive threats and replacing them with mediocre scorers (if that) many thought Cumberland was going to find it very hard to be effective or get any breathing room. Well, even though we have seen some surprises on offense Cumberland is still getting “the business” every time he touches the ball yet he still finds a way to get points on the board or impact the game.

I did not think he was going to be able to handle all that pressure but he just keeps getting better as the game goes on and gets to crunch time. IMO he deserves to be in the playing above expectations coversation. It’s not easy to put a team on your back like that all the time. SK was an All American...it’s rare
+1000

This conversation should begin and end with Cumberland. There is no way we only have 3 losses if he doesn’t make the huge jump he has. I think it is easy to overlook if you are like me and just expected it.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
+1000

This conversation should begin and end with Cumberland. There is no way we only have 3 losses if he doesn’t make the huge jump he has. I think it is easy to overlook if you are like me and just expected it.
He's averaging over 22 points in conference and 4 assists. That's around 30 points per game he is accounting for. Not to mention 5 rebounds and 1 steal per game. At over 9 FT attempts per game (12 in the last 5) he is helping to get us in the bonus and creating some foul trouble for the other team as well.

That's a lot he's doing. He's also taking pressure off the other guys allowing them to be more efficient with their looks. I mean the rest of the guys don't have to take on too many bad shots.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Jenifer continues to shoot lights out from deep. However, in his last 6 conference games he has only 7 assists (3 games with zero) vs 7 turnovers. Cane has had 20 assists vs 8 turnovers.

Is Cane buying in? He has been outJenifering Jenifer lately in that department. Now if Broome can just kick in that scoring mentality and continue distributing the ball somewhat safely...look out! Let Justin shoot and let Cane drive the ball.

Prior to Jenifer's last 6 games he had 61 assists and 6 turnovers for 10:1 ratio. His last 6 games have been 1:1. WTF?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Just playing around on the T-Rank site. They have 12 years (including this one) in the memory banks. I wanted to see how guys like Brooks and Jenifer were doing as it relates to this list. I was a little shocked at what I found for Brooks.

Block % is #3 (JJ, and Mooj ahead only 1 season)
TS % is #3 (Jenifer and Clark ahead only 1 season)
D rebound % # 6 (Clark, Wash, Rubles, Ellis, Jackson only one season each)
O rebound % #8 (Jackson, Clark x 2, Gates, Thomas, Ellis x 2)

In terms of what we expect him to do...he is performing better than I thought I would find. Imagine if he had just made a few more of his dunks? It's only his Jr year so I would expect next year he could move up the ladder in a few of these categories.

Jenifer is #1 in ORTG, TO rate (I think), TS %, and 3 % (over 25 makes). Of course TS % and ORTG are tied in pretty heavily to the 3%. He is #11 in assist rate (Wright x 3, Caupain x 2, Vaughn x 2, Broome x 2, and Warren)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just playing around on the T-Rank site. They have 12 years (including this one) in the memory banks. I wanted to see how guys like Brooks and Jenifer were doing as it relates to this list. I was a little shocked at what I found for Brooks.

Block % is #3 (JJ, and Mooj ahead only 1 season)
TS % is #3 (Jenifer and Clark ahead only 1 season)
D rebound % # 6 (Clark, Wash, Rubles, Ellis, Jackson only one season each)
O rebound % #8 (Jackson, Clark x 2, Gates, Thomas, Ellis x 2)

In terms of what we expect him to do...he is performing better than I thought I would find. Imagine if he had just made a few more of his dunks? It's only his Jr year so I would expect next year he could move up the ladder in a few of these categories.

Jenifer is #1 in ORTG, TO rate (I think), TS %, and 3 % (over 25 makes). Of course TS % and ORTG are tied in pretty heavily to the 3%. He is #11 in assist rate (Wright x 3, Caupain x 2, Vaughn x 2, Broome x 2, and Warren)
By comparison Scott is #24 in O rebound %, 11 D rebound %, 22 TS %, and 25 in block %.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Keith Williams has the highest block rate of any wing and his steal rate is better than any other frosh or soph other than Wright's soph season. His bock rate is currently ahead of Clark's Jr year for perspective.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

One fun stat the site uses is a "value over replacement player" algorithm.

SK is the highest at 5.5 (Sr year)
Clark is second at 4.6 (Sr year)

Tied for 3rd at 4.5 is Cumberland, Vaughn, and Evans. Cumberland's value has been going up all year so he could end up 2nd on this list by years end.

SK was 6th and 7th at 4.3 and then Clark and Jenifer tied at 4.0.

Also for reference Ja Morant and Zion Williamson tied at 6.4 this year on that stat. Cumberland may not be leading a lot of individual stats but his overall value has been one of the top 2 or 3 in the Cronin era...and he's only a Jr.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

can't really compare his ORTG to any of the others because his usage rate is so low. imagine what the other guys would look like if they were never forced to take a shot they didn't want to and only had to take wide open ones.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
can't really compare his ORTG to any of the others because his usage rate is so low. imagine what the other guys would look like if they were never forced to take a shot they didn't want to and only had to take wide open ones.
I would not argue with his ORTG being artificially high...but he's knocking down 3's at a very high clip (open or not). And in the nation there is only 1 player ahead of him in ORTG that has a higher usage (per T-rank). Either way he's making the most of his opportunities.