Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #501
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
we get it, anybody not cronin sucks, its clear brannen is over his head after 3 weeks.

we should all give up and not even give him a chance. he's clearly going to fail, its a certainty.

we should cancel the bball program and demolish 5/3. we can replace it with a tribute to mick cronin and all the miracles he worked.
This is weak. I think a lot of the reaction, at least for me, is that the consistency of the program is now very much in question. There were some delusional people that wanted Cronin gone and thought the incoming coach would step in and vault us to the next level instead of taking many steps back and having to rebuild the program. Obviously nothing is certain at this point, but the bad news keeps piling up and it's sure pointing to the latter. That's undeniable at this point.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #502
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
we get it, anybody not cronin sucks, its clear brannen is over his head after 3 weeks.

we should all give up and not even give him a chance. he's clearly going to fail, its a certainty.

we should cancel the bball program and demolish 5/3. we can replace it with a tribute to mick cronin and all the miracles he worked.

Part of your goal as a new coach is winning over the new fan base with quick wins. Just helps an unfamiliar fan base feel confident about a guy they don’t know.

Be nice to hear some f*ckng good news about the basketball program I love.

New coach start with momentum. Meanwhile we’re starting off offering nobodies to come to cincinnati.

Things aren’t going to plan. That’s not a good start.

Once the games start I’ll be all in. I won’t nearly as jaded as all you Cronin haters were ever time we lost a game
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #503
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
This is weak. I think a lot of the reaction, at least for me, is that the consistency of the program is now very much in question. There were some delusional people that wanted Cronin gone and thought the incoming coach would step in and vault us to the next level instead of taking many steps back and having to rebuild the program. Obviously nothing is certain at this point, but the bad news keeps piling up and it's sure pointing to the latter. That's undeniable at this point.

Preach.

We don’t lose players at cincinnati very often
We don’t have guys decommit.

This is all unfamiliar.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #504
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post

whats weak is people flipping out after 3 weeks because they want to say i told you so.

next year always hinged on cumberland. i think he's going to do what he's going to do, the coach here didn't matter. losing brooks sucks but it appears that decision was made before brannen could do anything about it. losing samari isn't surprising but we shouldn't act like he was a top 25 guy, he's a fringe 150 guy, lets remember that.

people acknowledged the possibility that we'd take a hit early on in the process. you hope for a smooth transition, but its never guaranteed. sometimes you gotta take a bit of a hit to move past stagnation. 1 step back 2 steps forward is obviously the hope.

the idea wasn't a new coach would instantly take us to a final 4. the idea was a new coach could change the program and move it forward in time. the goal is to be better in the next 13 years than we've been in the previous 13 years.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #505
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Preach.

This is all unfamiliar.

mick cronin was not fired. he chose to leave on his own.

cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #506
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Preach.

This is all unfamiliar.
When Brannen has a few year here and we make the S16, that’ll be pretty unfamiliar too!

It’s clear that the coaching change has affected next years team. I had hopes since it was an experienced squad that we had a shot at not a lot of change and even keeping Curtis if the program seemed stable. Hopes that Brannen would take the team left to the second weekend.

Well - hopes ain’t plans and ain’t reality in this case. Next year will be a struggle. Brannen has to get a terrific recruiting class in 2020...and that will be difficult.

At this point I think this program is in for a rougher than usual 3 year stretch at a minimum. Hoping Brannen can shorten that pain.

Look at Fickell though. That team had 0 improvement the first year. It was bad and I was worried. Look at his second year. So things can change quickly for the right coaching staff.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #507
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:

No kidding. Unsure why people keep talking about wanting mick out at this point. He left. He was the one that wanted out because he couldn’t win in march here. He knew either his recruiting or his coaching was a problem in March. Now at a blueblood...no recruiting excuses and he will find out which it was.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #508
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Part of your goal as a new coach is winning over the new fan base with quick wins. Just helps an unfamiliar fan base feel confident about a guy they don’t know.

Be nice to hear some f*ckng good news about the basketball program I love.

New coach start with momentum. Meanwhile we’re starting off offering nobodies to come to cincinnati.

Things aren’t going to plan. That’s not a good start.

Once the games start I’ll be all in. I won’t nearly as jaded as all you Cronin haters were ever time we lost a game
"Quick wins" can be another way of saying "quick news". I would rather it all be well thought out. Here are some quick wins for you. Tre SCott is all in as well as a bunch of other players like Williams etc. Rehfeldt has been retained. The coach is out beating the trail late in the game.

AS to offering nobodies. I think many of us would be happy if Sloan came over and it's down to 2. We offered Loveday for 2020. How much was left in 2019? And maybe Brannen sees something in recruits he was working with for NKU...that would still work for us...who knows. Maybe he sees a backup plan for his A list. Maybe he sees someone who can do some things in year 3 or 4.

Give it a rest and let the man do his job. After the 2020 class and a couple years of coaching we will see how he's doing. He's not going anywhere. The last thing this program needs is another fractured fan base of people who have little patience and over react. If you want some quick news go read a paper.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 AM   #509
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I look at this Domask guy from WI and I say no thanks. But the man can shoot and score. He looks slow and has bad handles. So let's just say for some reason Brannen offers. Maybe he's thinking get him in there with Rehfeldt and work on his ball skills for 2 years and he becomes a much bigger threat.

Nobody knows...but this coach is not stupid. He's not thinking he can win with NKU recruits if that's all he offers. Geezus give the man just a little credit and see what happens.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #510
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Lets all remember these guys build a relationship with the coach who actually recruits them. We are all die hard UC fans and that's why we look at it from the stand point of when you sign to play here you are signing to play for the school and not the coach. 90% of the time that is not the case, this isn't Duke where the name speaks for itself. They don't have a loyalty to the University like we do because we are fans and they are players. Its like if you grew up in Cincy and committed to Rhode Island (a school I don't know much about) to play for Danny Hurley and then Danny Hurley takes the UConn job, do you really think you are going to stay committed to Rhode Island and not evaluate your choices? 9/10 times hell no because the relationship you built was with the coach and not Rhode Island. I would evaluate all my options at that point too.

IMO coaches evaluate there options all the time, players should too. Sucks to lose Samari but so be it.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote