Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #81
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yep, he says he wants Brannen to be successful but also wants everyone to know he is ready to pounce at the first sign of trouble.
I said I want him to be successful. But I will Hold him to an extremely high standard.

Just like every time we lost, certain posters of this board had a fire mick meltdown. I won’t be that extreme, but I will expect him to win in year one. I will expect him to make the tourney.

This league is quickly on the rise, a few down years from
UC could catapult other teams a head of us. If we ever miss the tourney 2 years in a row I’ll. Be calling for his head. Hopefully that never happens .
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #82
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
no shit, the point is that UCLA isn't some downtrodden program that has been in the dumps for a while. They've had more recent success than UC.

And as for the roster not winning in a long time, 2017-2018 they were a tournament team. Oh, but I'm sure it's the freshman you say that haven't won in a long time, huh? It's been what, one year for them? Lol.

Lol yep UCLA was an 11 seed that year and they return just 3 non crucial players from that team that only finished 21-12

I don’t even know whet your arguing. They fired Alford for not winning lol. So clearly the players aren’t winning players.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #83
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
all we can do is take it one game at a time, its hard to predict the season when there is so much unknown with this team and new coach. So lets start with the OSU game, I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts and predictions on the game.

I will say the biggest thing I am worried about with this game in Columbus is Kaleb Wesson. He had his way with Brooks most of the game last year and OSU returns everyone except CJ Jackson and Keshawn Jackson. Then there was the factor of Brooks being in foul trouble most of the game forcing Nsoseme to play 14 minutes. Now with Brooks and Nsoseme gone we will be relying on Sorolla, Vogt, Diarra and Scott to guard the post. Obviously we all the know what happened last year, how the team shot 27% compared to OSU 40%. With OSU's roster basically the same and UC's roster much different (6 guys who played in this game last year are gone) it will be interesting to see how we match up.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #84
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I said I want him to be successful. But I will Hold him to an extremely high standard.

Just like every time we lost, certain posters of this board had a fire mick meltdown. I won’t be that extreme, but I will expect him to win in year one. I will expect him to make the tourney.

UC could catapult other teams a head of us. If we ever miss the tourney 2 years in a row I’ll. Be calling for his head. Hopefully that never happens .
It would probably be a lot easier to stomach if you just give the coach your support and stop making proclamations about if/when you will be calling for his head. That's not how support works. You say to them I am behind you 100% and I won't make any rash judgments until we see how you operate and what were the circumstances that led to your results.

An AD is not going to say...well you didn't make the tourney so guess what? They will look at the season as a whole and give an evaluation based on all circumstances that led to the results. Perhaps even give some areas of improvement or kudos for areas we did well.

Many fans are not known for being the most logical. But luckily those that make big decisions go through a much more rigorous process of evaluation. Pressure will rise without results from the fan base and maybe even a board...but the board and AD don't add that pressure from the start because it is counter productive. They will offer support first and foremost...then continually evaluate circumstances, progress, and methods.

Just take a Xanax and offer full support for now. Let's see how he operates.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #85
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
all we can do is take it one game at a time, its hard to predict the season when there is so much unknown with this team and new coach. So lets start with the OSU game, I would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts and predictions on the game.

I will say the biggest thing I am worried about with this game in Columbus is Kaleb Wesson. He had his way with Brooks most of the game last year and OSU returns everyone except CJ Jackson and Keshawn Jackson. Then there was the factor of Brooks being in foul trouble most of the game forcing Nsoseme to play 14 minutes. Now with Brooks and Nsoseme gone we will be relying on Sorolla, Vogt, Diarra and Scott to guard the post. Obviously we all the know what happened last year, how the team shot 27% compared to OSU 40%. With OSU's roster basically the same and UC's roster much different (6 guys who played in this game last year are gone) it will be interesting to see how we match up.
Yeah, I think Wesson and OSU's interior game as a whole are a huge concern.

I have a hard time seeing a 4 guard lineup having success against OSU. It can work against smaller teams, but against a team with true quality bigs, 4 guards are probably going to get abused on rebounding - especially since none of our guards really stand out as great rebounders. It's going to be a real quick test.

Best case scenario is we win a close game. Worst case scenario is we get blown out. If I were betting, I'd bet on us losing by 15-20. If we faced OSU in March it would be different, but early in the year with our lack of chemistry and them most likely dominating us on the inside and I don't see a good result.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #86
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

You should really just become a UCLA fan. It's getting a bit monotonous
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #87
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I’ll be interested to hear the score of the Dayton secret scrimmage.

Sucks because I won’t get to see this team in person until OSU. I was in the UK for madness, and zero chance my daughter let’s me miss Halloween for an exhibition game against Thomas More.

I think OSU beats us, but not by much. But what concerns me is that Wesson isn’t just a big body, he can stretch the floor and shoot. Covering him will be tough. I think we lose because of rebounding and because of Wesson.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #88
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
You should really just become a UCLA fan. It's getting a bit monotonous
Lol
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #89
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, I think Wesson and OSU's interior game as a whole are a huge concern.

I have a hard time seeing a 4 guard lineup having success against OSU. It can work against smaller teams, but against a team with true quality bigs, 4 guards are probably going to get abused on rebounding - especially since none of our guards really stand out as great rebounders. It's going to be a real quick test.

Best case scenario is we win a close game. Worst case scenario is we get blown out. If I were betting, I'd bet on us losing by 15-20. If we faced OSU in March it would be different, but early in the year with our lack of chemistry and them most likely dominating us on the inside and I don't see a good result.
I don't see a winning result in the first game but then we have 5 in a row for CJB to get his bearings and figure out who's playing well and which lineups are most effective. He hasn't had much time to iron out some of those details. We will find out in the first game who can handle their own in the paint against quality bigs from that 5 spot.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #90
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
There's already been signs of trouble the guy couldn't keep a top 15 roster together. He hasn't won me over which in my mind is a glaring sign bc the games haven't even started yet, foreshadowing possibly a aspect about him that doesn't sell to many recruits. UC brand is strong enough to at least get in a kids ear or living room. Brannen is a watch film, analytics, run you out the gym kind of coach... I expect this team to struggle during this yr, primarily with post play, defensive continuity, offensive flow. Hopefully team chemistry on the court can pick up it's just alarming how brannen is speaking about shorted roster and practically botched practices. This yr had to be a success bcs he's fresh, wants a good start at this level and we got him as an upgrade replacement he was the apple of the ads eye the whole time.. We have to make the tournament bc next yr could easily be a wash.
The only decent player we lost was brooks and he was gone before a coach was announced. Not sure how that’s the new coaches fault but whatever helps your argument.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote