Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #21
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I don't think he leaves after this season, unless his ball handling has REALLY improved. I think after his junior season.
i don't see him leaving after his junior season. His handle like you said has to improve a lot, plus his shot has to get way more consistent. However, his biggest problem may be his athleticism. Tough to make it in the NBA as a SG if you aren't athletic and I don't see him leaving early to Europe. He'll be here 4 years IMO.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Lots of money to be made in Europe....Like I said, it's just my guess and read on things. Hopefully he stays 4 very productive years at UC.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
what mick thinks prior to kilpatricks 1st year in 2009 versus what is actually happening in 2012 after kilpatricks 3rd year arent necessarily the same thing. thigns change. i didnt say for certain he would go pro. but kilpatrick didnt have a daughter when he decided to redshirt either.

if kilpatrick goes pro, it likely means he had a very good year- which is good for this team.
I understand all the logic and the idea that things change, but as you originally said you don't have any inside knowledge on this. And I think the fact that Mick chose to redshirt him tells a lot more than just a random guess.

And as Longhaul pointed out, he simply doesn't have the athleticism for the NBA. He can make a lot of money in Europe, but would he really wanna leave early for that?
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #24
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
I understand all the logic and the idea that things change, but as you originally said you don't have any inside knowledge on this. And I think the fact that Mick chose to redshirt him tells a lot more than just a random guess.

And as Longhaul pointed out, he simply doesn't have the athleticism for the NBA. He can make a lot of money in Europe, but would he really wanna leave early for that?
I base my opinion on his family situation as well. If you could pull down 350,000-500,000 a season in Europe your first season and you have a child would you leave college to do it? By the end of next season he may develop into a solid 2nd round NBA pick. Who know? I just think he will leave prior to the end of his eligibility due to obligations. Again, strictly opinion.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #25
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I base my opinion on his family situation as well. If you could pull down 350,000-500,000 a season in Europe your first season and you have a child would you leave college to do it? By the end of next season he may develop into a solid 2nd round NBA pick. Who know? I just think he will leave prior to the end of his eligibility due to obligations. Again, strictly opinion.
well like you said, it's your opinion, as is mine, so who knows what will happen. I don't think it will, but if he plays well enough to leave early than I'll be happy.

btw - when did SK have a daughter? i don't remember hearing about it?
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
Jinxy

Jinxy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Two things, first most important, FEW players in europe make that kind of dough and the ones who do often have NBA experience and are paid for their celebrity. I don't know who started the myth that D1 basketball players who aren't draft worthy go over seas and make 6 figures typically but that's a load. Two, his game is not that good, he is undersized in contrast with other 2guards. Even over there and when it comes to undersized players, you need to be exceptional at something. Either athletically or as a shooter. He isn't at either. He's not Melvin Levett and he's not some unconscious 3 ball kid.

His ceiling is high, but he's too unpolished at this point. It is a bad idea with his potential to leave just now. He'll likely end up making 20-40K a year and given the caps those teams put on the number of foreigners allowed, he may not be able to get on a team. Consider the number of kids who won't be drafted at the end of this season that will be going across the pond and are considerably better. It just seems very unrealistic to think he'd make much out of it.

I'm not saying he won't, just that it's a bad decision if he does.
Jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
Two things, first most important, FEW players in europe make that kind of dough and the ones who do often have NBA experience and are paid for their celebrity. I don't know who started the myth that D1 basketball players who aren't draft worthy go over seas and make 6 figures typically but that's a load. Two, his game is not that good, he is undersized in contrast with other 2guards. Even over there and when it comes to undersized players, you need to be exceptional at something. Either athletically or as a shooter. He isn't at either. He's not Melvin Levett and he's not some unconscious 3 ball kid.

His ceiling is high, but he's too unpolished at this point. It is a bad idea with his potential to leave just now. He'll likely end up making 20-40K a year and given the caps those teams put on the number of foreigners allowed, he may not be able to get on a team. Consider the number of kids who won't be drafted at the end of this season that will be going across the pond and are considerably better. It just seems very unrealistic to think he'd make much out of it.

I'm not saying he won't, just that it's a bad decision if he does.
i think your final sentence is the most important fact in re: to this conversation. people who say "he isnt ready" are bringing up a point that doesnt really matter. just because he isnt ready doesnt mean he wont go. tons of guys o undrafted every year. only a few guys who declare for the draft are actually ready.

again- i didnt say kilpatrick would go pro to start speculation- i just said i think that it is not unreasonable to think there will be some form of player turnover this year with a big class coming in and a lot of upperclassmen.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
Jinxy

Jinxy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
i think your final sentence is the most important fact in re: to this conversation. people who say "he isnt ready" are bringing up a point that doesnt really matter. just because he isnt ready doesnt mean he wont go. tons of guys o undrafted every year. only a few guys who declare for the draft are actually ready.

again- i didnt say kilpatrick would go pro to start speculation- i just said i think that it is not unreasonable to think there will be some form of player turnover this year with a big class coming in and a lot of upperclassmen.
Player turnover is a real possibility but the reality is I don't know that there are even european teams who would have room on their roster for him. Yes, players declare who don't make it but most of those have some realistic chance of making at least free agency. He doesn't. I look at for instance Georgetown's Austin Freeman who is better in every way by a wide margain and he makes it onto a very crappy european club for what is likely to be a 20-30 grand a year job.

It's not that easy. He has a good thing going and most pro teams aren't sold on potential alone. I think it would be in his interest, even with a family to hold off.

Looking back though, Bearcatjeff also posted that he was predicting he'd leave after his junior year. It's possible that after the next two seasons he's got a chance but also entirely possible he'd develop into a monster if he stays til he's a senior. Either way, I don't think he'll leave after this year.
Jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #29
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
As far as SK... I think it's clear to everyone he doesn't have the size to be a prototypical NBA player so regardless of how he develops his best shot to play the game for a living will likely be in Europe- in my opinion... with that said I think we all ALSO realize he has a ton of potential at the college level and could turn into one of the best players in the Big East over the next two seasons... for Sean's sake I hope he's intelligent enough and surrounds himself with the sort of people that will aid in helping him make the right decision when it comes time to cross the bridges we are discussing here.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #30
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

[QUOTE=Jinxy;35539]Player turnover is a real possibility but the reality is I don't know that there are even european teams who would have room on their roster for him. Yes, players declare who don't make it but most of those have some realistic chance of making at least free agency. He doesn't. I look at for instance Georgetown's Austin Freeman who is better in every way by a wide margain and he makes it onto a very crappy european club for what is likely to be a 20-30 grand a year job.

It's not that easy. He has a good thing going and most pro teams aren't sold on potential alone. I think it would be in his interest, even with a family to hold off.

Looking back though, Bearcatjeff also posted that he was predicting he'd leave after his junior year. It's possible that after the next two seasons he's got a chance but also entirely possible he'd develop into a monster if he stays til he's a senior. Either way, I don't think he'll leave after this year.[/QUOTE]

I hope he stays. He should have his degree after his redshirt junior season, which will be his 4th in the program. I just enjoy watching him play. My favorite Bearcat at this moment.