Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Micks Philosophy needs to change.

Mick is wrong. Defense doesn't win championships. Talk all you want about defense, but our offense is why we are not very good.

The idea of recruiting athletes over basketball players is not going to work and frankly its been on display with our bigs. Mick has poorly recruited big guys. Long and athletic doesnt equal points.

Our 4 and 5 cannot score the ball... Other teams bigs sit in the paint because they dont have to play defense. It creates zero lanes to drive the ball.

Our offensive scheme is what? Set a bunch of picks for SK? Stand around and hope SK does something?

Mick stated tonight this team needs to truly reflect on who they are going to be.... No coach, you need to truly reflect on why our offense is broke... Ill give you a hint. Your recruiting. Your scheme.

A team should be mixed with athletes and baskebtall players. This team has 1 basketball player... 2 potentially.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post

A team should be mixed with athletes and baskebtall players. This team has 1 basketball player... 2 potentially.
I agree with this. A good team for how Mick wants to play must have a skilled back court, an "athlete" type at the 3 or 4 and 1 skilled post up player. You also need to have at least 1 knock down shooter/glue guy.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Defense does win championships. In the last 10+ years there hasn't been a national champion with an AdjD lower than 21st overall. At the same time, there hasn't been a champion with an AdjO lower than 18th overall. In the last three years Mick's defense has been ranked 14th, 22nd, and 14th. They went into tonight's gamed ranked 14th overall once again. That part of the philosophy is just fine. You need athletes in order to play elite defense, especially with the way the game is being called now defensively. Maybe they need to look for more guys that are offensive-minded, but also show potential defensively based on their athleticism... instead of the other way around? The offense has to improve, no question, but I don't think we get closer to a championship level team by drastically changing philosophy to recruit like a Creighton, which was absurdly mentioned by many fans last year.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
dbieon12
Elite Member

dbieon12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat04 View Post
Defense does win championships. In the last 10+ years there hasn't been a national champion with an AdjD lower than 21st overall. At the same time, there hasn't been a champion with an AdjO lower than 18th overall. In the last three years Mick's defense has been ranked 14th, 22nd, and 14th. They went into tonight's gamed ranked 14th overall once again. That part of the philosophy is just fine. You need athletes in order to play elite defense, especially with the way the game is being called now defensively. Maybe they need to look for more guys that are offensive-minded, but also show potential defensively based on their athleticism... instead of the other way around? The offense has to improve, no question, but I don't think we get closer to a championship level team by drastically changing philosophy to recruit like a Creighton, which was absurdly mentioned by many fans last year.
Won't matter at the end of the day. I have yet to see the team do any high-low action or low-high action. I remember when they would pass it to Jackson at the free-throw line and then quickly pass it back for an open shot - or have a cutter to the basket with a sneaky bounce pass.

In general the plays that the team runs in the half-court are pathetic and usually result in a poor shot. Passing needs to improve in bunches quick.

I can't see Jackson and Rubles being an effective post combination down the stretch.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Won't matter at the end of the day. I have yet to see the team do any high-low action or low-high action. I remember when they would pass it to Jackson at the free-throw line and then quickly pass it back for an open shot - or have a cutter to the basket with a sneaky bounce pass.

In general the plays that the team runs in the half-court are pathetic and usually result in a poor shot. Passing needs to improve in bunches quick.

I can't see Jackson and Rubles being an effective post combination down the stretch.
Not one time did anyone bite on Rubles head fake tonight, nor did he come close to hitting a shot. Any team that does their homework will know how to keep him from scoring. Jackson can't be effective offensively against guys with size. He forces things and when he does that he travels or puts up an ugly shot. I know Strickland is a freshman but we are really hurting not even being able to see what he could've brought to the table. Lawrence is just too weak and inexperienced to be effective inside. We need to become an attacking team to draw fouls and get to the line and we need to hit our free throws. That is the only way our offense can be effective. Caupain, Johnson, Killa and Guyn are the only players that have shown they're capable of putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim. Maybe Sanders here or there because the defense sleeps on him. Thomas is too weak and pulls up from 10 to 15 feet. He needs to start hitting that or getting closer to the rim. Rubles can't buy a shot but at least he can put the ball on the floor and get to the line. Jackson can't get around a big player and really doesn't need to be putting the ball on the floor anyway.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I agree with this. A good team for how Mick wants to play must have a skilled back court, an "athlete" type at the 3 or 4 and 1 skilled post up player. You also need to have at least 1 knock down shooter/glue guy.
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between an athlete and a basketball player? I see this reference so much on this site. If by the word "athlete" you mean someone who can run up and down the court faster than most, but suck at shooting and rebounding, we have a full team of those. Leave the "athletes" for the track team. Give me a roster full of ballers.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlycolonel View Post
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between an athlete and a basketball player? I see this reference so much on this site. If by the word "athlete" you mean someone who can run up and down the court faster than most, but suck at shooting and rebounding, we have a full team of those. Leave the "athletes" for the track team. Give me a roster full of ballers.
Thats what we're talking about. When you hear someone say...he is raw but has all the tools and things like that but can't dribble shoot or understand how an offense is supposed to run. Athletes have to be developed into good players and even then there is no guarantee...some of best actual players were not/are not the best athletes, they just know how to play the game.

Right now we have a team full of projects with maybe 2 to 3 players who can play.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I am sick and tired of justifying Cronin's worth. He is a good person and a good defensive coach. But by god he can not develop players and coach offense. We will never win when we struggle to get 50 points. It will be the same sad story Tuesday against Pitt.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Another game against a quality opponent, another game in which that opponent dictates to us how we're going to play on the offensive side of the ball. Oh well, this is just what UC hoops has become. We're mediocre and most are cool with it. I mean, we're just little old UC anyways. We shouldn't expect to be great, just be happy with what we've got because this is the best we can do. Sit back and watch us become the 2nd best basketball program in our own city. If you don't think that's true you're lying to yourself, look at the last 8 years and tell me who's better. Look at the future and the recruits that are lined up.

This is what our program has become and many of you couldn't be happier with it. Whatever, f**k it. I'll just get bashed for being negative or told that I'm being unreasonable.

I think my favorite part of last night was our head "coach" once again throwing our players under the bus in the postgame. What was yours??

Last edited by UCBearcats; 12-15-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
It's ok to have athletes. The problem is Mick is missing on the guys who are not athletes. Mick's non athletes are also not basketball players: Big Dave, Sanders and JD3 gave nothing.

The positives that I am going to try and focus on are Caupain looks like a basketball player and KJ is an athlete who has shown good awareness in previous games. Lawrence is a top 20 guy and will come around.
Closed Thread