Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
It's not a national champ team, but even without DeJulius I'm really liking the team. I'm eager to see the offense run more like Brannen wants it to.

I know the new guys are going to be lost for a while, but it seems we have some players who can at least offer some depth for breathers and hopefully some scoring.
I worry about that PG position a little bit. MAW was playing mostly because McNeal ended up being horrible. MAW doesn’t have great handles but he was serviceable when pressure wasn’t applied. I like the future of the position but this year worries me if Dejulius can’t play. It’s too important of a position to be average at.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #62
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I worry about that PG position a little bit. MAW was playing mostly because McNeal ended up being horrible. MAW doesn’t have great handles but he was serviceable when pressure wasn’t applied. I like the future of the position but this year worries me if Dejulius can’t play. It’s too important of a position to be average at.
Although young and inexperienced...Saunders is going to be good. He might surprise you this year at the PG...especially if DD isn't eligible. Baptism by fire. The kid will impress you.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #63
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Although young and inexperienced...Saunders is going to be good. He might surprise you this year at the PG...especially if DD isn't eligible. Baptism by fire. The kid will impress you.
I am looking forward to seeing him play and I think he will be very good for us for 2-3 years but just not sure he will adjust to the speed and learn the system in time for a big impact this year. But if DD doesn't play I would expect him to be the #2 right away and who knows by end of year could be in there for MAW as a starter.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #64
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Saunders is the freshman who I have the lowest expectations for this year.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #65
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yeah I don't see Saunders getting much floor time, but that's just a guess. He does look like a good recruit to develop.

My thinking is he's going to be facing tougher competition and it's the first year learning a different level of offensive strategy. He's going to need to hit the weights and just do a ton of repetitions. His outside shot is only okay, so that will take some time to build up confidence at this level.

Let's hope we get to see some play to really put in some honest speculation.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #66
Nati lite

Nati lite is on a distinguished road
If there is a basketball season this year (fingers crossed), which freshman do you think will have the biggest offensive impact?

I would have to go with Eason or Gabe Madsen. I think Eason because of his footwork and athleticism. He also looks like he can finish around the rim pretty well in his highlights, hopefully he translates that in D1. If he develops a consistent jumper throughout the season...watch out.

Gabe can shoot lights out and has a quick release. That will help us out a lot for when teams are running a zone or double the post. Seems like he has a high IQ to find an open spot on the defense. He also has some decent ball handling skills to create is own shot.
Nati lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #67
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati lite View Post
If there is a basketball season this year (fingers crossed), which freshman do you think will have the biggest offensive impact?

I would have to go with Eason or Gabe Madsen. I think Eason because of his footwork and athleticism. He also looks like he can finish around the rim pretty well in his highlights, hopefully he translates that in D1. If he develops a consistent jumper throughout the season...watch out.

Gabe can shoot lights out and has a quick release. That will help us out a lot for when teams are running a zone or double the post. Seems like he has a high IQ to find an open spot on the defense. He also has some decent ball handling skills to create is own shot.
You're probably right.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #68
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati lite View Post

If DeJulius doesn't get his waiver then that'll open 28-30 minutes/game at one of the guard positions and I think Gabe (along with Harvey) will take a good chunk of those minutes.

I think Gabe's year 1 impact could be similar to Erik Stevenson's at Wichita State where he shoots A LOT when he's in the game with the potential to put up 15-20 on a good night, but could also have some real clunkers thrown in there as well and be prone to multi-game droughts.

Eason is definitely our most physically ready freshman, but I have no idea how consistently he'll be able to score at this level. We haven't had a true freshman big make a real offensive impact since Gary Clark in 14/15. I think he'll be a much more consistent player than Gabe but with a lower offensive ceiling.

I think we'll see a big drop-off in production after those two. We'll have to throw Saunders to the wolves for back-up minutes at the 1 if DeJulius isn't eligible, but otherwise I think he'll warrant 11th/12th man minutes.

Mason Madsen seems like a year 1 role player through and through.

Lakhin (if he makes it over) will probably need at least a year to adjust to the American game but if he does play I think he can show some flashes in limited minutes ala Diarra as a frosh.

Last edited by Queens_NYC; 08-10-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #69
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
With potential B10 football news looming today, I think we all mentally have to prepare for no basketball this year, or certainly limited basketball, a bubble of a limited amount of teams, etc.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #70
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
If DeJulius doesn't get his waiver then that'll open 28-30 minutes/game at one of the guard positions and I think Gabe (along with Harvey) will take a good chunk of those minutes.

I think Gabe's year 1 impact could be similar to Erik Stevenson's at Wichita State where he shoots A LOT when he's in the game with the potential to put up 15-20 on a good night, but could also have some real clunkers thrown in there as well and be prone to multi-game droughts.

Eason is definitely our most physically ready freshman, but I have no idea how consistently he'll be able to score at this level. We haven't had a true freshman big make a real offensive impact since Gary Clark in 14/15. I think he'll be a much more consistent player than Gabe but with a lower offensive ceiling.

I think we'll see a big drop-off in production after those two. We'll have to throw Saunders to the wolves for back-up minutes at the 1 if DeJulius isn't eligible, but otherwise I think he'll warrant 11th/12th man minutes.

Mason Madsen seems like a year 1 role player through and through.

Lakhin (if he makes it over) will probably need at least a year to adjust to the American game but if he does play I think he can show some flashes in limited minutes ala Diarra as a frosh.
Yah. If DD was to play this year I would think MAW would be the back up PG and the backup SG at least initially. That would probably hurt both Gabe and Saunders. Now if DD is not playing MAW is likely the PG for about 25 of the minutes and maybe not backing up the SG spot at all. So Gabe and Mike become primary backups and can earn 10-15 minutes (depending).

Of course either of these guys or Mason could surprise us and I hope they do. I think Eason is already in that position of primary backup rather than a 3rd option at a position.

I don't see Lakhin getting much run this year and Mason could be used as a heat check shooter from time to time. But 3rd or 4th option at PG wouldn't amount to much if anything.