Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #71
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I don't think Mick needs to find an immediate impact big, though it wouldn't hurt. After this year we still have Modji, Jackson, Gaines, and Ellis. A big is certainly needed but you would have to think Modji, Jackson and Gaines will see the majority of the minutes next year in the post. Ellis may fall into that category but we haven't seen him play yet so I can't really say for certain.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #72
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I want my big men to be like Gates or Hicks or Little.

Be able to move. Be able to run.

Rebound and defend. That all I care about
agree.

this hurts the cats because it appears we were throwing a lot of eggs in the hammons basket. i know everyone likes to disparage a recruits once they commit elsewhere- but i never really understood why we were targeting him so hard. doesnt seem to fit the type of big mick has targeted the past few years.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #73
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I want my big men to be like Gates or Hicks or Little.

Be able to move. Be able to run.

Rebound and defend. That all I care about
Hammons is about as close to Gates as possible. Gates isn't exactly the most mobile person ever.

I like my big men to be able to score as well.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #74
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Hammons is about as close to Gates as possible. Gates isn't exactly the most mobile person ever.

I like my big men to be able to score as well.
I have never seen Hammons but I would take a Yancy Gates every time. I think you are being a bit unfair in saying Yancy can't really run. 6'9" guys don't tend to be the fastest in the world. That said, Yancy really improved his conditioning last year and everything I have heard has said that he is in even better shape this year. He got up and down the floor just fine last year. As long as a center doesn't run like BJ Grove, I am fine with it.

Also, you CAN press with slower big guys as long as you don't have more than one on the court at a time. Every good press needs an eraser at the back end of it. With guys like Justin Jackson on this team, the point on the press is more than taken care of.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #75
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I have never seen Hammons but I would take a Yancy Gates every time. I think you are being a bit unfair in saying Yancy can't really run. 6'9" guys don't tend to be the fastest in the world. That said, Yancy really improved his conditioning last year and everything I have heard has said that he is in even better shape this year. He got up and down the floor just fine last year. As long as a center doesn't run like BJ Grove, I am fine with it.

Also, you CAN press with slower big guys as long as you don't have more than one on the court at a time. Every good press needs an eraser at the back end of it. With guys like Justin Jackson on this team, the point on the press is more than taken care of.
Of course Yancy can "run". Anyone that says he has a motor is losing it. Even is his prime he is pretty slow getting up and down the court for the majority of the time. Sure there are a couple situations each game where he is pretty quick up and down the court, but it is generally few and far between.

Keep in mind I'm a fan of Yancy. I like having a back to the basket player that is a threat to score. Right now no one other than Yancy can do that.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #76
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Frankly when I said "needed" originally it was before I saw Modji play. Now I have a little more confidence in him. They do need at least one big man and I would have liked two. But the chances of them getting a big man that will give minutes freshman year is between slim and none. AJ I think could have. I have heard he had a good year in terms of effort, which is why Cronin was so high on him.
Saw him play twice and he was underwhelming for his size and ability. There are some decent juco bigs and I wouldn't be surprised if they turn their attention that way if a high school recruit doesn't pan out.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #77
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

No one is saying he is Drummond good, but there is a reason he was being heavily recruited by UC and Purdue. Right now, he was the best big man that UC had a shot at.

Why is it when UC signs a completely under the radar kid that isn't highly ranked everyone says that they'll trust Cronin's judgement. Now all of a sudden UC loses out on a kid Cronin was going very hard after we can no longer trust his judgement? Let's keep it consistent (not directed at you Jeff).
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #78
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I have said I understand why he was being recruited (not saying that in defense). He meets the requirements of a big need. I'm just saying I have always had my doubts about his desire. Gates always stepped up against good competiton in high school. I've never seen that from AJ. I'm a motor guy. His potential is beyond question so nobody should doubt his talent and why Mick wanted him.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #79
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No one is saying he is Drummond good, but there is a reason he was being heavily recruited by UC and Purdue. Right now, he was the best big man that UC had a shot at.

Why is it when UC signs a completely under the radar kid that isn't highly ranked everyone says that they'll trust Cronin's judgement. Now all of a sudden UC loses out on a kid Cronin was going very hard after we can no longer trust his judgement? Let's keep it consistent (not directed at you Jeff).
a lot of us on here publicly questioned whether hammons actually fit our system throughout his recruitment. he does not fit the mold of the typical big that cronin has brought in as of late.

because of his natural size- he has great potential. he has decent mobility for his size- he isn't an oaf. but having seen him in person, he does not put forth a lot of consistent effort. i think over the past few years with yancy, i dont think many fans have a lot of patience for a guys who are blessed with great size but with whom we have to worry every game if they are going to "bring it."

i would have been happy to get AJ, but i am not sweating losing him. i just wish we had more backups in mind because Obekpa seems to be an uphill battle. he is a guy who i think really fits our system and would be much more disappointed if we miss out on.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #80
Bearcat04
Elite Member

Bearcat04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp3113 View Post
i would have been happy to get AJ, but i am not sweating losing him. i just wish we had more backups in mind because Obekpa seems to be an uphill battle. he is a guy who i think really fits our system and would be much more disappointed if we miss out on.
You never really know who this staff is recruiting with how secretive they seem to be at times, but as far as those with mutual interest I can only think of Obekpa, Hawkins, and Lomomba. Ironic that recruiting has been an uphill battle this year after we finally got back to the tournament and look to be a top 25 team to start the season. Hopefully the staff is just more confident with the 2013 class and they are only looking to fill one of the spots this year. At this point that looks to be the best option.
Bearcat04 is offline   Reply With Quote