Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #1051
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
You cannot deny the difficulty of our games in the tournament. Is it a conspiracy, no probably not. But we've consistently had bad draws and are almost always scheduled to play out west. Last time I believe we actually played in the region was in Nashville and as you prlkbably remember we went to the sweet 16 that year.
I’m not denying we play hard teams. We are allowed to beat them. The tournament has hard teams. Some teams beat hard teams when they play them. We do not for whatever reason. We also haven’t beat the lesser teams we have played. Is that a conspiracy ?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #1052
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Either way.

I’m excited for the season tip.

And so I’m happy we’re playing good teams. And this is one of those things that I hope you guys can come back to this thread and say I was wrong about. I’ll gladly take that L.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #1053
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Either way.

And so I’m happy we’re playing good teams. And this is one of those things that I hope you guys can come back to this thread and say I was wrong about. I’ll gladly take that L.
No doubt, gives us something to debate until the season starts
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #1054
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’m not denying we play hard teams. We are allowed to beat them. The tournament has hard teams. Some teams beat hard teams when they play them. We do not for whatever reason. We also haven’t beat the lesser teams we have played. Is that a conspiracy ?
I am pretty sure I literally said it wasn't a conspiracy in my first post. And we have, Florida state was ranked higher than us. Have we don't in consistently, no. And I'm sorry but draws are draws and you can't say ours have no been difficult. And you ignored the fact about us never playing close to home. And believe me that makes a difference.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #1055
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Either way.

Agreed, someone will be wrong. And not because I am on the other side but I do hope it's you haha. And no matter where we are seeded this year I feel a deep run is coming. One of if not best starting five in the country, deepest bench I can remember. And scorers at 1-5. I'm just plain excited. 12 o clock tomorrow can not come soon enough. And just found out I am off now and can actually see the game. It's gonna be a good day lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #1056
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I am pretty sure I literally said it wasn't a conspiracy in my first post. And we have, Florida state was ranked higher than us. Have we don't in consistently, no. And I'm sorry but draws are draws and you can't say ours have no been difficult. And you ignored the fact about us never playing close to home. And believe me that makes a difference.
You said “probably” not a conspiracy. So I didn’t knowif you weren’t ruling it out or not. Also, I’m not ignoring any fact. I am fully aware of where we played. UCLA was good but lost their next game so they were beatable. Sometimes we play good teams in the tourney. Sometimes we don’t. I pointed out 3 examples of us playing teams that weren’t great.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 11-09-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #1057
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Well if you look at rankings at the time of seeding it doesn't match up. In other words the committee doesn't see things like the poll voters otherwise we would have been a 4 or 5 seed. Not only did we get a lower seed but we were matched up with UCLA who was also under seeded and we were moved out west to boot.

Ahem!!
I don't feel that we got screwed last year on our seed, I think our seeding was appropriate. I'm also not saying that being in the AAC doesn't hurt us. When you start getting into the mid seeds I think the committee is going to give the higher seed to a team from a better conference, even if that team has a couple to a few more losses. None of us had a problem with our 11 or 13 loss teams going to the tourney when we were in the Big East.

My point here is that there is no "conspiracy" against us or our conference. If people want to go into the season feeling like the deck is stacked against us and we're destined for a 5 or 6 seed no matter what that's fine, but it's also ridiculous.

If this team, with this schedule, can find a way to only lose 2 or 3 games on the entire season then they're going to get a high seed. If we wind up losing 6, 7 or 8 games (which is feel is most likely) then we're probably going to be looking at a 4-6 seed depending on where everyone else finishes. In that scenario we will take a back seat to teams from higher ranked conferences and I'm fine with that, that's the way it should be. My point here is that if we win an exceptionally high amount of games against this schedule we will be a high seed. If we lose 3 games or less this season there's no doubt in my mind we're going to be a 1 or a 2 seed come March.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #1058
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Whether there is a conspiracy or not there are a lot of ways to get screwed by the committee. You can get under seeded to start. If you are under seeded you are going to be playing a tougher first round and second round game than if you were seeded correctly. Those teams you do play can also be under seeded making matters worse. You can also get shipped out of your region so fans can't travel.

You can even have all three of these happen like last year. We got a 6 seed and played the 3rd ranked team in the country as a 3 seed in the second round. Shipped out west. The Year prior we played the #1 overall seeded team in the second round.

I really don't think we had much of a prayer of advancing in some of these years (if any) past the sweet 16. I don't expect the committee to make it easier on us. I'm not sure they go out of their way to make it harder. However, it does seem our road has been tougher than it should have been more years than not. In the past 6 years I think we got a decent seed and draw one time.

I agree it's time we play better than our seed but that is not the point IMO.

Last edited by waterhead; 11-09-2017 at 01:21 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #1059
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Whether there is a conspiracy or not there are a lot of ways to get screwed by the committee. You can get under seeded to start. If you are under seeded you are going to be playing a tougher first round and second round game than if you were seeded correctly. Those teams you do play can also be under seeded making matters worse. You can also get shipped out of your region so fans can't travel.

You can even have all three of these happen like last year. We got a 6 seed and played the 3rd ranked team in the country as a 3 seed in the second round. Shipped out west. The Year prior we played the #1 overall seeded team in the second round.

I really don't think we had much of a prayer of advancing in some of these years (if any) past the sweet 16. I don't expect the committee to make it easier on us. I'm not sure they go out of their way to make it harder. However, it does seem our road has been tougher than it should have been more years than not. In the past 6 years I think we got a decent seed and draw one time.

Playing better should be the point. It should be the main point. You said it best, we didn’t have a prayer. Bottom line is it didn’t matter who we played. We lost to good teams and bad teams.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #1060
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Also we were ranked in the top 15. You act like it was a top 5 team playing a scrub team from the horizon. It was #3 vs 15