Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will our AAC record be?
17-1 or 18-0 0 0%
16-2 2 9.09%
15-3 5 22.73%
14-4 9 40.91%
13-5 5 22.73%
12-6 1 4.55%
11-7 0 0%
10-8 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I was traveling and didn't get to see the game. Sounds like one of those games the other team made shots and we couldn't hit our deep ball (and FT's).

It's a shame that had to come against a team ranked so low. We are still better than we looked early on but maybe not quite as good as we were starting to hope. We have to find a way to win when shots aren't falling from deep. We gave up 70 points. In the past we have just dug deep on defense and won a rock fight.

Our 3 point shooting is very suspect after our top two guys. If one or both of them aren't hitting...look out. I am not sure we can win this league with the supporting shooters shooting under 25% for the year because I don't think Jenifer and Cumberland can maintain their %. Our D has some work to do to catch up to last year. I can see us losing 5+ conference games now. If we can hold it to 5 I think that would be okay for us.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Tulsa has won 16 in a row at home so will not be easy task.

The main area where the game was lost along with shooting was 15 turnovers.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I think we go 16-2. We lose @Temple and @Houston.
LOL, what an idiot.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
TH numbers are right order is wrong 12-6
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I was traveling and didn't get to see the game. Sounds like one of those games the other team made shots and we couldn't hit our deep ball (and FT's).

It's a shame that had to come against a team ranked so low. We are still better than we looked early on but maybe not quite as good as we were starting to hope. We have to find a way to win when shots aren't falling from deep. We gave up 70 points. In the past we have just dug deep on defense and won a rock fight.

Our 3 point shooting is very suspect after our top two guys. If one or both of them aren't hitting...look out. I am not sure we can win this league with the supporting shooters shooting under 25% for the year because I don't think Jenifer and Cumberland can maintain their %. Our D has some work to do to catch up to last year. I can see us losing 5+ conference games now. If we can hold it to 5 I think that would be okay for us.
In all seriousness they had guys shooting bananas against us. Some cat was 0/22 and sank like a 3 and a long 2 in his only attempts. I think a lot of the threes went over Broome when he was in. Maybe that's confirmation bias.

The areas in which we struggled and were inexcusable were turnovers and FTs. Despite the rosy boxscore it was a bad game for Brooks. He saw significant usage because it was a mismatch (ECU is small) and it killed us that he didn't show up in key areas. I checked the box score and he is only credited with 2 TO but it felt more like 5 or 6. All the same when he gets a rebound or low touch he drops the ball below his waist and gets stripped/blocked/horrible shot. The few times he keeps it high he makes it or gets fouled. It is just a really bad habit he has.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #16
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
In all seriousness they had guys shooting bananas against us. Some cat was 0/22 and sank like a 3 and a long 2 in his only attempts. I think a lot of the threes went over Broome when he was in. Maybe that's confirmation bias.

The areas in which we struggled and were inexcusable were turnovers and FTs. Despite the rosy boxscore it was a bad game for Brooks. He saw significant usage because it was a mismatch (ECU is small) and it killed us that he didn't show up in key areas. I checked the box score and he is only credited with 2 TO but it felt more like 5 or 6. All the same when he gets a rebound or low touch he drops the ball below his waist and gets stripped/blocked/horrible shot. The few times he keeps it high he makes it or gets fouled. It is just a really bad habit he has.
Jarron too. I mean he scored but his turnovers were awful. A couple of them looked like it was his first time playing basketball. He gets a pass though from Cronin. I guess rightfully so.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #17
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Jarron too. I mean he scored but his turnovers were awful. A couple of them looked like it was his first time playing basketball. He gets a pass though from Cronin. I guess rightfully so.
Truth. If I were Jarron I would work on nothing but my handle in the off-season. Only way he sticks in the NBS is if he plays 1/2 with the ball. A premium position that absolutely requires elite ball-handling.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I haven't really changed my opinion of this team MUCH after the loss. I still see the upside but obviously we are the type of team that can be ripe for an upset or two. I am not sure if that is due to a mentality or a lack of scoring dimensions (go to paint scoring or additional 3 point options) or both. What I won't do is assume we will lose all the road games because we lost to ECU. I will assume it's just one of those games that can creep up on you.

When looking at history in the T-rank site...our offense efficiency is as good as it's been under any Cronin team (even if that may drop a bit). Maybe that is due to a schedule that is worse than we thought so far IDK. The defense right now isn't quite up to where we need it but I think the potential is there to get back up to the top 15 or so. This ECU game should be something Cronin can use for defensive intensity.

It's just all going to come down to how we respond. Do we have the guys who can group the team together and come out focused every night?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

A lot has been said about Jenifer assist to turnover ratio but I am starting to wonder if that is going to be a primary focus of his to a point he becomes ultra conservative chasing an NCAA record. We need him to push the boundaries a bit to find a happy medium. I don't mind if his ratio comes down a bit or the ortg suffers if we can get more team production out of it.

If he is going to be on the court for 30 minutes I think his usage is going to have to go up a bit especially when bad Cane shows up. He can still be smart and focus on ball security at the same time pushing the envelop. With his 3% I would think he can start using a pump fake to drive a bit more to keep the defense switching and get the bigs easy drop offs or kick outs to Cumberland.

With the confidence he has built up he should be able to get a little more aggressive without seeing too much detriment to his efficiency numbers.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
A lot has been said about Jenifer assist to turnover ratio but I am starting to wonder if that is going to be a primary focus of his to a point he becomes ultra conservative chasing an NCAA record. We need him to push the boundaries a bit to find a happy medium. I don't mind if his ratio comes down a bit or the ortg suffers if we can get more team production out of it.

If he is going to be on the court for 30 minutes I think his usage is going to have to go up a bit especially when bad Cane shows up. He can still be smart and focus on ball security at the same time pushing the envelop. With his 3% I would think he can start using a pump fake to drive a bit more to keep the defense switching and get the bigs easy drop offs or kick outs to Cumberland.

With the confidence he has built up he should be able to get a little more aggressive without seeing too much detriment to his efficiency numbers.
You bring up a point I’ve been concerned about and I’ve seen in games. I think Jenifer is giving up potentially make some plays in order to not potentially turn the ball over. Going to pay close attention moving forward. I honestly don’t remember a lot of play making from Jenifer this year. Wondering how he is getting the assists.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote