Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #81
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Agreed. Cronin would have got slammed if the play was Brooks and he missed the shot/got it stripped. You have to go with Cumberland and hope be makes something happen. Unfortunately he shoots the ball to low to really just rise up and shoot over people in the middle of the lane like Evan's could have driving.
Well a coach shouldnt do stuff to not get slammed

But if you’ve seen how weak Brooks has been with the ball all year, having him take the final shot on purposes would be stupid.

Cronin made sure the best player had the ball in his hands. Smart move. And Cumberland will likely win more of those games then lose them over time.

Last edited by cincycpaw; 01-06-2019 at 12:04 PM.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #82
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Well a coach shoulda do stuff to not get slammed

But if you’ve seen how weak Brooks has been with the ball all year, having him take the final shot on purposes would be stupid.

Cronin made sure the best player had the ball in his hands. Smart move. And Cumberland will likely win more of those games then lose them over time.

brooks couldn't even grab the loose ball after cumberlands shot got blocked.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #83
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Well a coach shouldnt do stuff to not get slammed

Totally agree. Brooks is one of the weakest big men with the ball I've seen in a long time.

Again, I didn't watch the game but I feel like there's no time that Jennifer should be playing 38min a game that's not OT. Even if the other people aren't playing great, it's not THAT much of a drop off and he needs a breather.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #84
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Totally agree. Brooks is one of the weakest big men with the ball I've seen in a long time.

Again, I didn't watch the game but I feel like there's no time that Jennifer should be playing 38min a game that's not OT. Even if the other people aren't playing great, it's not THAT much of a drop off and he needs a breather.

the problem is jenifer only had a usage rate of 9 and 5 of his 7 points came at the very end. if he's this greatly improved player he has to be a part of the offense.

i understand jenifer is comfortable in rarely shooting and passing to cumberland or williams on the wing or after they come off their curl, but the team needs more.

in games like that you need your sr pg to step up. this game and miss st he was super passive. he can't be too afraid to turn the ball over, we need him to create sometimes.

to put the 9.0 usage rate into context, nsoseme had a 9.7 usage rate.

Last edited by cincrulz11; 01-06-2019 at 12:47 PM.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #85
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
Can anyone explain the last play. We inbounded the ball under the basket and failed to get a shot up in 6 seconds. Why did Cumberland, apparently the guy we wanted to handle the ball inbound it? Why did Jennifer dribble the ball at the three point line and why did Cumberland then drive the lane where he would get blocked and the refs obviously would not call a foul with under 2 seconds left so that it ends up in Brooks hands apparently without time to even put it on the the glass? Since we apparently had a height advantage shouldn’t we have had a play to get it to Brooks? It seems like all we did was say let Cumberland do whatever he decides with the ball and he blew it.
Seriously man, having your scoring option in bounds the ball there is really common under the basket. He'll have more freedom and space from his defender who can't immediately grab him before he picks which corner he runs to off the screen.

This is literally one of the oldest most effective actions for BLOB. But if you knew anything about basketball instead of spouting nothing but nonsense you would've known that.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #86
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
The one thing I see about this years team that I don't like - none of our bigs is a turn and face scorer. Mamadou actually looks the best and I think he should be given more of a chance. I really think whoever coaches the bigs is not doing a good job. Brooks would be much more efficient if he would just turn and shoot- same with Scott. Nsoseme does not have a single big man move. Mamadou over Brooks and Nsoseme right now will pay dividends in the future. That or better coaching.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #87
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I'd say this was about as worse of a UC weekend we have had since the Nevada loss. This weekend might be worse. Losing out on Symir was huge IMO. That's a difference maker. That's not a guy that would be ready to play by Jr. year. That's a guy that might be going to the NBA by his Jr. year.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #88
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I'd say this was about as worse of a UC weekend we have had since the Nevada loss. This weekend might be worse. Losing out on Symir was huge IMO. That's a difference maker. That's not a guy that would be ready to play by Jr. year. That's a guy that might be going to the NBA by his Jr. year.
We lose more recruits than we get every year. This game is early enough in the season to recover from. I don't see any comparison to the Nevada loss. That was a complete disaster on many levels.

I think this game is one heck of a learning experience for these guys and if they don't respond then we probably don't have the right chemistry or heart that we need to make a run.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #89
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Seriously man, having your scoring option in bounds the ball there is really common under the basket. He'll have more freedom and space from his defender who can't immediately grab him before he picks which corner he runs to off the screen.

This is literally one of the oldest most effective actions for BLOB. But if you knew anything about basketball instead of spouting nothing but nonsense you would've known that.
For real. I read that complaint and was like where else do you want your best scorer. Always cover inbounder -- they are likely the ones getting the ball back.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #90
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I said a similar thing. This was a reality check weekend.

Statistically worse loss in Ken Pom era, since 2002. Definitely drops a seed line and makes remaining sched a uphill battle. Going to be tough to bounce back at Tulsa but have to.

Losing Symir after Mick had been on his heels for years is sobering. New arena, PT, tourney almost guaranteed and goes to Marquette. Was position of need, currently leaves no backup PG for next season. Mick needed a run last year badly and this may be first casualty. Recruiting needs to have an uptick, only one top 100 player on team.