Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
'10 CA PG Deonte Burton (Nevada Verbal)

2010 PG: Deonte Burton
6'1" 185lbs
Compton, California
Centennial HS

Offer: Yes
Other offers: Long Beach St.
Interest: UCLA (close to offer), Marquette, Arizona, Cincinnati, Washington, New Mexico

Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/marquette/ba...-Burton-105858

Rumors have been swirling that there is mutual interest between UC and Deonte Burton. We contacted him in December, but not much as come available since that time. I have not seen many public reports linking us to Burton.

Tucson Citizen, February 12, 2010
Deonte Burton, a Class of 2010 6-1 guard from Los Angeles Centennial, who recently scored 40 and 38 points in the Westchester Invitational, lists UCLA, Long Beach State, Washington and USC as his favorites. He is very athletic, with great leaping ability and dunking power despite being only 6-1.
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...g/perry-ellis/

SlamOnline:
He can do it all. Score with the best of them. Distribute the ball in traffic. Bang underneath the basket and grab the occasional board. And when the situation calls for it, Burton is fully capable of locking down the opponent’s top player on the defensive end of the floor. Indeed, he’s about as well-rounded as they come. That said, we find it a tad bit surprising he’s not being more heavily recruited. Perhaps his size, or lack thereof, is scaring schools away. In the end, some college coach is going to be lucky to land Burton and have him onboard.

Last edited by BearcatAlum1; 04-07-2010 at 10:56 PM.
BearcatAlum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I hate to grab another small guard. But if he can shoot (not just 'score') and play defense, then bring him on.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

BearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura aboutBearcatAlum1 has a spectacular aura about
March 22, 2010

6-foot-1 combo guard; Compton Centennial

Burton's stock skyrocketed in December, when he was named MVP of the Westchester Tip-Off Classic. He sat out last season after transferring to Centennial from Cabrillo,Deonte Burton headlines a talented group of uncommitted backcourt players.
where he had been one of the state's top sophomores. Burton is incredibly accurate from three-point range and the free throw line. Throughout this season, he has improved his ability to get his teammates involved, a skill that will boost his stock heading into the spring signing period.

http://marquette.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1066068

My God. Give him a scholarship right now and buy him a Beamer!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Why would UC want good shooting?
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
Why would UC want good shooting?
Think of how this season may have been different if the 'Cats had a stand out shooter who shot 45% from 3... we'd be discussing an NCAA tournament appearance right now, for sure.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Burton's ESPN profile: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recrui...92&season=2010

He grades out as a 91.

Evaluation:

December, 2009: Burton is out of the mold of Nate Robinson (Knicks). He's an undersized 2-guard with astounding athleticism and an improved perimeter game. He excels in transition and is tough to stop due to his bounce and quickness. He competes each and every possession and is just relentless...

Nice article chronicling his high school career:
http://ballislifeonline.ning.com/for...1Comment143246

Highlights:

Last edited by psax889906; 03-24-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

It's being reported (Bcat Lair) that Deonte Burton has UC in his final 3 choices.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Burton is a guy this team could use. He has the old school Bearcat attitude and plays with attitude and a chip. Quick, good handle and athleticism off the charts. He actually reminds me of Jordan Crawford. The kid is an in your face competitor. I would love a young nucleus of Jackson, Lance, Burton, Parker, Kilpatrick, Cash and even Dixon. There would be an INSTANT attitude change and a team that plays extremely hard. The only question would be would they play smart. You can have attitude but you have to play smart as well.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
psax889906
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Burton is a guy this team could use. He has the old school Bearcat attitude and plays with attitude and a chip. Quick, good handle and athleticism off the charts. He actually reminds me of Jordan Crawford. The kid is an in your face competitor. I would love a young nucleus of Jackson, Lance, Burton, Parker, Kilpatrick, Cash and even Dixon. There would be an INSTANT attitude change and a team that plays extremely hard. The only question would be would they play smart. You can have attitude but you have to play smart as well.
Big difference being size... Crawford has NBA size, Burton does not. In a perfect world UC would land one or two of those long guards, but if Burton can shoot and has the kind of attitude we're looking for, I say bring him on.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
BearcatAlum1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Give me kids that go 100% and I'll worry about the rest after that....

This team would take on a completely different make up with the addition of Burton and Ratliffe.

Wow.