Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Blogs, News, and More > Bearcat News and Headlines > Bill Koch's Blog
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Bearcat
Epic Member

Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Cronin might not use Stephenson scholarship next year

Mick Cronin says he might not use the scholarship for next season that became available when freshman guard Lance Stephenson decided to leave school and take his chances in the June NBA draft.“We’re in no hurry,” Cronin said. “We looked at a lot of guys, but we really haven’t tried to sign some of the [...]

More...
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I think I said this yesterday. With the bulk of players already gone, the best bet would be to hold onto it, and apply it next year instead of taking a lesser player. Sadly, it's the best move Mick has at this point.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
I think I said this yesterday. With the bulk of players already gone, the best bet would be to hold onto it, and apply it next year instead of taking a lesser player. Sadly, it's the best move Mick has at this point.
Probably right. Did he recruit hard enough for Lance's scholly? He had to think Lance was 1 and done, so I would think he had planned for that. But maybe I'm wrong. Next years recruits will not only determine the next 4 years of the program, they will determine Mick's future at UC. He's got to go all in.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Lobot

Lobot will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Probably right. Did he recruit hard enough for Lance's scholly? He had to think Lance was 1 and done, so I would think he had planned for that. But maybe I'm wrong. Next years recruits will not only determine the next 4 years of the program, they will determine Mick's future at UC. He's got to go all in.
Well, Lance did come out and say I'm stayin, I'm stayin, etc. And then he left. I don't think they planned for this after Lance said he was staying.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
Well, Lance did come out and say I'm stayin, I'm stayin, etc. And then he left. I don't think they planned for this after Lance said he was staying.

Possibly, but I mean all year after you signed "Born Ready". I think most UC fans thought he'd be gone after a year, even if it wasn't the right decision.

Guess it doesn't matter now, really anxious for the 2011 kids to start committing though. Looking for some hope. Until then, I think Cash and Kilpatrick are our best chance at improvement. I know many are high on Wilks, but I just haven't been convinced yet, though he does have the potential. I'm also hoping that Gates finally gets it and Dixon uses the end of the season as motivation. I'm also interested to see what role and how many minutes Jackson can give us. High motor guys are great to have, but they are better to have as upper classmen.

Lots of "ifs" though. Can't wait till the program is back to a level where the "ifs" are minimized.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
If he is all in than Im calling!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
cincinnati insanity

cincinnati insanity is on a distinguished road
I hope that we dont have to lean on Dion Dixon because he is marginal at best. SK and CW and definatley JP are the face of this program and i think eventually them 3 guards can be considered some of the best in the Big east. I dont think next year is going to be all that bad and i dont think next year will be stellar but with hustle and hard work we could be dancing (hopefully)!!!! Justin will be very important especially if we implement the full court press because i think his highschool team did plenty of that..
cincinnati insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati insanity View Post
I hope that we dont have to lean on Dion Dixon because he is marginal at best. SK and CW and definatley JP are the face of this program and i think eventually them 3 guards can be considered some of the best in the Big east. I dont think next year is going to be all that bad and i dont think next year will be stellar but with hustle and hard work we could be dancing (hopefully)!!!! Justin will be very important especially if we implement the full court press because i think his highschool team did plenty of that..
I think Dixon has a chance to be a real nice player for this team. He needs to spend a lot of time in the gym shooting from 3. If he can improve that game, he could see a lot of time. He is a good, not great, defender. He is a very good rebounding guard and he is very athletic. The Big East Tourney brain fart aside, he is a decent ball handler. He had a very down sophomore season but he showed quite a bit of promise his freshman year. I still think Dixon can be a major player on this team these next 2 years.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote