Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Between Denbrock and Joker, this is shaping up to be a good looking staff. I was lukewarm on Fickell at first, but he is off to a pretty great start. Hopefully, he can salvage something out of the recruiting class, and then undo the 4 years of degradation to the team's fundamentals.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
TheHelicopter

TheHelicopter is on a distinguished road
I'd still like to see DeAngelo Smith or Mike Mickens return as DB coach.

I know Smith has been mentioned a few times, but would love to see a couple of familiar faces on that sideline to sell the Cincinnati name!
TheHelicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelicopter View Post
I'd still like to see DeAngelo Smith or Mike Mickens return as DB coach.

I know Smith has been mentioned a few times, but would love to see a couple of familiar faces on that sideline to sell the Cincinnati name!
Joker Phillips used to be on the UC sidelines, would like to look at possibly Walter Smith as well, people on other boards have been pushing the idea that Fickell may be waiting until the Texans lose and try to get Mike Vrabel as DC. Coincidentally they offered his son today.

Don't know why people consistently want KC to come back, he has been demoted twice at OSU and was not good enough to name DC when LF left. When he was at UC he did not recruit any superstars and was a mediocre coach.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 01-03-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #14
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Marcus Freeman to coordinate the D and coach the LB's.........former OSU LB and Chicago Bear and very young at the age of 30. Let's hope this guy can recruit and relate to some of the younger guys we want to bring in.

Doug Phillips to coach ST's, Ohio guy and spent last year directing player personnel at Iowa State. Seems like a seasoned recruiter with Northern Ohio ties.

The staff so far seems fairly impressive on paper. Freeman may be a stretch at only age 30 but more and more schools are having success with young coordinators these days.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
My guess is Fickell will have a lot of influence on the defensive side of the ball.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
My guess is Fickell will have a lot of influence on the defensive side of the ball.
Yeah was just gonna say the same thing. I'm pretty excited about this new chapter of Bearcat Football.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
With every coaching hire, I ask myself just 1 question. Does he help us recruit Ohio? And so far I am a pretty happy fan.

There is no reason the Bearcats can't be a competitive team, if they can dominate the 4 and 3 star recruiting of the Buckeye state.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Agreed, I'd imagine the majority of scheming and X's and O's will be handled by Fickell and I'm guessing Luke sees a lot of recruiting potential in Freeman.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #19
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Footballscoop is reporting that Al Washington is leaving Boston College to become our DL coach. Another great hire by all accounts.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #20
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
Each hire has been great. Oftentimes when a coach leaves, the school's fans will be happy they left. That hasn't been the case at all from what I've seen.

ND fans had nothing but good things to say about Denbrock. Not only a great talent evaluator but a great teacher.

Many OSU fans were hoping Urban would promote Joker to WR coach next year.

BC fans seem to be pretty blindsided by Washington leaving. Many have called him their best recruiter by far.

Not sure how Phillips will do with special teams but can't argue with his relationships. The fact that Fickell zeroed in on him so quickly says a lot.

Freeman looks like he has star potential. And he already contributed with his recruitment of White.

And as I type this we just received another commitment. Good times coming fellas!
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote