Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I agree, and we gave him a pass for having such a horrid first year. So what is your excuse for this year? With the quality of this team mixed with the weak weak schedule three losses is a fail. No reason why we shouldn't be in a BCS bowl with the BE being so weak this year and losing to a Mac school is terrible. Maybe you like the train of mediocrity but there is nothing that Jones has done that is impressive. I don't want to see him go just for the stability issue, but if he leaves..so be it. So yes, slightly above average would be more than a fair statement.
Coaching is a cycle. We lost all of our stars from last year and had young guys starting, what did you expect? You can't win every game every year. Toloedo is a good team, and our 2 other loses are very good teams also. 7-3 isn't amazing, but it is definitely a step in the right direction for a young team.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #22
Lobot

Lobot will become famous soon enough
Turned down Purdue and will not interview at Colorado per multiple sources.

Oh and Andy Furman knows nothing.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I disagree with you, we had plenty of "stars" coming back and new ones to replace the graduated ones. You can not give me one solid reason why we should have more than one loss. This years schedule was cup cake central and the BE is weak, arguably the Mac had better teams than the BE.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
Boiler Cat

Boiler Cat is on a distinguished road
The reason why we have more than one loss is because the players Butch put out there didn't make plays when they needed to. Like DB's who gave couldn't guard WRs at L'Ville or a QB/TE who couldn't complete an open pass/catch in OT.

Or a kicker who couldn't make chip shots against Rutgers. Or a defense that hadn't gelled by the time it faced a solid RB and running game in Toledo.

Those things weren't BJ's fault.

Fact is, he's the best FB coach UC has had while in the BE and one of the best ever. Better motivator, better PR guy, better recruiter and and better FB strategist.

I really don't want to see Butch go, but if he does I hope it's the Purdue and that he does well. Go figure. He'd do better at Purdue than Tiller did.
Boiler Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Boiler Cat

Boiler Cat is on a distinguished road
Add in a career-ending injury to the best defensive player just be before Toledo and an injury to the starting DB who probably presumably wouldn't have been back out in the second half if there had been a better option.
Boiler Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #26
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I disagree with you, we had plenty of "stars" coming back and new ones to replace the graduated ones. You can not give me one solid reason why we should have more than one loss. This years schedule was cup cake central and the BE is weak, arguably the Mac had better teams than the BE.
Okay name 4 stars this year. Four stars from last year-JK Shaffer, Zach Collaros, Isiah Pead, Derek Wolfe. I could name many solid players, but stars....
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #27
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
Okay name 4 stars this year. Four stars from last year-JK Shaffer, Zach Collaros, Isiah Pead, Derek Wolfe. I could name many solid players, but stars....
I hear ya, I just don't think missing those guys had that much affect on this years soft schedule and results.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #28
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I hear ya, I just don't think missing those guys had that much affect on this years soft schedule and results.
This schedule was soft because WVU left and UC didn't want to lose a home game. VT was a good OOC game and Toledo wasn't bad, especially on the road. If you added WVU to this schedule and it would have been solid.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Bad QB play will doom any team and any coach. There's only so much a coach can do at some point players have to make plays out on the field. This team didn't make the plays this year. In fact this team continually let their opponents make the plays this year. Now you could argue the coach is responsible for bringing players up and seeing to it that they're ready to make plays and its valid argument, but I'm not sold on Butch not being a good coach yet. I think ultimately it boils down to we got a dud in Munchie Legeaux and nothing Butch tried to make him improve worked. I think he stuck with Munchie because he has the tools to best run Butch's offense. He made the switch and Kay, while throwing a better ball, hasn't been much better. On the defensive side of things our one playmaker went down and we haven't been the same since. I will say I'm not happy with the approach of the defense. I'm not a fan of the bend don't break style that both Kelly and Butch ran here. I'm tired of seeing receivers have a 8-10 yard cushion and seeing them drop in an 8-10 yard pass and there's nothing the defender can do but hope he drops the ball.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
dbieon12
Elite Member

dbieon12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Bad QB play will doom any team and any coach. There's only so much a coach can do at some point players have to make plays out on the field. This team didn't make the plays this year. In fact this team continually let their opponents make the plays this year. Now you could argue the coach is responsible for bringing players up and seeing to it that they're ready to make plays and its valid argument, but I'm not sold on Butch not being a good coach yet. I think ultimately it boils down to we got a dud in Munchie Legeaux and nothing Butch tried to make him improve worked. I think he stuck with Munchie because he has the tools to best run Butch's offense. He made the switch and Kay, while throwing a better ball, hasn't been much better. On the defensive side of things our one playmaker went down and we haven't been the same since. I will say I'm not happy with the approach of the defense. I'm not a fan of the bend don't break style that both Kelly and Butch ran here. I'm tired of seeing receivers have a 8-10 yard cushion and seeing them drop in an 8-10 yard pass and there's nothing the defender can do but hope he drops the ball.
Wow, "hasn't been much better"? Kay has been a clear improvement when you are judging the product on the field. Notice how the ball isn't 3 feet short of the receiver or in the hands of the defenders?
dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote