Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm frustrated that I'm the only one who seems to notice Larry Davis slipping, and everyone else just continues to blindly worship the ground he walks on.

In the last 3 recruiting classes he has brought us:

-The #471 player in 2017

That it.

He's getting paid way too much for this. Out of any Top 100 teams (probably more), I'd venture to guess he has been the worst recruiter over that 3 year span.

And yet he has a job for life making more money than most assistant coaches, "P6" included. And it's bc Mick can't make the tough call. If you are his friend, then there is quite literally nothing you can do to get fired. Strange way to run what is supposed to be a major program. I'm tired of the small time/family feel of our program. The is serious D1 basketball. You'll never win if you feel sorry for the people who can't get it done, instead of demanding more, or moving on. But we are the little engine that couldn't. And it won't ever change under Mick.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Kansas won the Big 12, won the Big 12 Tournament without Azubuike, got a 1 seed, and went to the Final 4. Not sure what you expect.
I get what your saying but it was a very strange year for the blue bloods. Kansas had a bunch of games they lost that were winnable. Even home games.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I get what your saying but it was a very strange year for the blue bloods. Kansas had a bunch of games they lost that were winnable. Even home games.
Yeah true. They struggled with lack of depth for a while. But when you can develop players in-season the way Bill Self can, it usually works out by year end.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Since this is a frustration thread I am going to express mine. My frustration is for the Players and Coaching staff. As someone who has Played, Coached and followed sports my whole life I can not imagine the hurt that must have been felt after the Nevada game. The Players and Coaches will never forget that game. I don't know that people actually know how hard it is to get to the level they reached. We are not a one and done school. Our players are expected to go to class, turn in assignments, pass the course make their practice schedules which at times are grueling sessions and then perform better then the competition. We are a blue collar program not a blue blood. Our Players are generally here for 4 years. We get to see them grow as people not only players. Gary Clark and others are much more then basketball players. They represent our City and our University very well. When students walk up to the podium to receive their degree its value is enhanced by student athletes like SK and Gary Clark so much more then the one and doners. This is the program I root for. I was crushed a promising season ended the way it did but not for myself but for the Coaches and Players. They put their heart and soul into that season. In the future we will raise the championship banners for the year. Some of the kids will come back for the ceremony, it will be a fine evening but in the end in their minds the season was one that should not have ended the way it did. My frustration is they will never know how much I appreciated the entire journey for if they did it may take the sting out of that terrible moment when they lost to Nevada. Thanks for a great run no matter how it ended. You helped raise the bar on what it truly means to be a bearcat
I do feel sorry for the players, especially because their coaches failed them.

cant really for sorry for the coaches when Cronin totally downplays the losses like they don't matter.

If he doesn't care, why should he get any of my pity?
If its just about student athletes and running a clean program with good university ambassadors, why is he getting paid such a high salary? I'm sure we could find a staff for substantially less $$ to do all those things.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayers View Post
I do feel sorry for the players, especially because their coaches failed them.

cant really for sorry for the coaches when Cronin totally downplays the losses like they don't matter.

If he doesn't care, why should he get any of my pity?
If its just about student athletes and running a clean program with good university ambassadors, why is he getting paid such a high salary? I'm sure we could find a staff for substantially less $$ to do all those things.
If you think you could find a staff to do what he does then write the BOD. I'm sure they would love your imput. Also if you think losing that game didn't bother Cronin you should check yourself in for a drug screen. While the entire team had a hand in that loss I would bet my pension check that to a man the players would tell you the loss was on them.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you think you could find a staff to do what he does then write the BOD. I'm sure they would love your imput. Also if you think losing that game didn't bother Cronin you should check yourself in for a drug screen. While the entire team had a hand in that loss I would bet my pension check that to a man the players would tell you the loss was on them.
"Do what he does" please elaborate. What are the things Cronin does that a coach coming up wouldn't be able to do on half his salary?

I do believe it bothered him, but his outward reaction was that it didn't matter, bigger problems in the world. I refuse to read the mind of a grown man who is afraid to articulate his failure.

I also agree the players would say it was on them, as most competitors would. But as someone who constantly refers to them as kids, shouldn't you see a loss like this ultimately falls on the coach who had no answers for them? They were just kids doing their best.

I really like a lot of aspects of Cronin, and how he runs his program. But I'm becoming fearful that he is not going to keep up with the recruiting game with the new coaches we have. I hope I'm wrong.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBosch View Post
Uh, it's not like the P5 conferences are mailing out invitations on a weekly basis.
Stupid statement.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
yeah, i have always thought it was more of a football thing. not saying it doesn't help but it's not the end of the world in basketball. Like you said, we just got a 2 seed and are proving this coming year, you can still schedule good games
Its a money and scheduling thing. Our current budget is unsustainable without better conference. I'm sick of playing Tulane, ECU, USF, Tulsa, etc. These teams are total garbage. Honestly, I believe Pittsburgh is in a better long-term situation than us.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #19
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Its a money and scheduling thing. Our current budget is unsustainable without better conference. I'm sick of playing Tulane, ECU, USF, Tulsa, etc. These teams are total garbage. Honestly, I believe Pittsburgh is in a better long-term situation than us.
yes they are. So is Louisville.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
yes they are. So is Louisville.
I bet Cronin could've had the Pitt job if he would've wanted it.