Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Know Your Enemy: Rutgers

Area of Strength...DL

The skinny: Despite the loss of two strong senior contributors, the Scarlet Knights still have loads of depth on the defensive front. Greg Schiano told me this week that the combination of Vallone, LeGrand and Noonan could be the best set of defensive tackles he's had at Rutgers. Freeny and Silvestro have shown the ability to get to the passer. And young players who were redshirted a year ago, like Andre Civil and Isaac Holmes, should be ready to play.

Area of Weakness...OL

Key departures: LT Anthony Davis, C Ryan Blaszczyk, RT Kevin Haslam

The skinny: Rutgers' O-line was a major disappointment last year, and now the unit loses arguably its top three performers, including a likely first-round NFL pick in Davis. This will be a revamped group, which might not be a bad thing considering the way the 2009 line performed. Still, Schiano has to find replacements at both tackle spots, potentially looking to a guy like Desmond Stapleton to step forward. Former super sub Barbieri will have to take on a larger role, while the talented Forst could emerge as a star. There's a lot to work with here, but also a lot to work on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Rutgers may have lost 11 starters from a year ago, but this team could be a Big East sleeper behind emerging sophomores Sanu and Savage.

Sanu averaged 17 touches a game over the final three games as a receiver and running back, finishing with 985 yards and eight touchdowns, while Savage threw for 2,211 yards and 14 scores.

There's no doubt about their potential, but building on last season may hinge on an offensive line tasked with replacing three starters, including both tackles and center. Art Forst is expected to move from guard to tackle opposite Desmond Stapleton, while Howard Barbieri and Desmond Wynn, who will miss spring practice after undergoing shoulder surgery, will compete for the center spot. They'll be pushed by Matt McBride, a Hofstra transfer, and early enrollees Betim Bujai and Frank Quartucci.

How well those inexperienced pieces gel could be a sticking point for how much Sanu and Savage excel -- and how much this team can progress.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0i03WgzHQ
Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
swg
Epic Member

@BFeldmanESPN Greg Schiano says Art Forst won't be the one replacing Anthony Davis at LT, but says if Forst moves from guard it'll be to RT. #Rutgers
Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
swg
Epic Member

Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said he was "doing some math" recently, and this is what he came up with: 62 of the 85 scholarship players reporting for the start of pre-season football practice in August will have either three or four years of eligibility left.

"We have a young football team," he said Tuesday at a pre-spring practice press conference. "I'm excited. I'm not afraid of that."

Some of the other highlights from his 20-minute session with the media, with spring practice set to start next Tuesday:

-- Running back Kordell Young (knee), OL Desmond Wynn (shoulder), running back De'Antwan Williams (knee), TE Fabian Ruiz (Achilles' heel), OL Betim Bujari (undisclosed non-football injury) and WR Jamal Merrell (knee) will miss spring practice -- but are expected to be ready for pre-season camp in the summer. All are coming off surgery.

Bujari, a promising true freshman, is one of three recruits to enroll early and was hoping to make a quick impression with so much uncertainty in the offensive line.

-- LB Colin McEvoy (shoulder), WR Mason Robinson (knee) and LB Marvin Booker (knee) will be limited during the spring. They are also expected to be ready when practice resumes in August.

-- There was more shuffling on the coaching staff. In addition to the three new hires (defensive line coach Randy Melvin, tight ends coach Phil Galiano and wide receivers coach P.J. Fleck), Schiano announced that Tem Lukabu, a graduate assistant, will coach the outside linebackers. Meanwhile, Robb Smith, the special teams coordinator, will add the cornerbacks to his coaching responsibility, while last year's cornerbacks coach, Chris Hewitt, will now oversee the running backs.

Hewitt replaces Randy Trivers, who coached the running backs as a graduate assistant last year. Schiano said that Trivers has returned to high school coaching.

-- Depth at running back and quarterback will be severely lacking in the spring, meaning Schiano will have to be more cautious than usual when it comes to the workloads for quarterback Tom Savage and running back Joe Martinek.

Steve Shimko is the only back-up to Savage at the moment. Because of injuries -- and while awaiting the arrival of some promising true freshmen running backs in the summer -- Martinek and Tyrone Putman, a walk-on, are the only healthy tailbacks. Schiano said the redshirt freshman fullback Robert Joseph would get some work out of a one-back set, however.

-- Redshirt freshman Antwan Lowery, a defensive tackle last year, is being tried on the offensive line. "He's a very talented guy who can bolster our offensive line," Schiano said. "We know he can play defensive tackle (already)."

-- Howard Barbieri, a part-time starter at guard and tackle throughout his career, will open at center.

The 15-day spring practice schedule culminates with the April 24 spring game at Rutgers Stadium.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...ing_chall.html
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
swg
Epic Member

Rutgers Offensive Line

On Rutgers’ revamped offensive line, Stapleton is seen as one of the potential answers for a unit that has mostly questions — certainly more than any other area on offense.

“We lost three starters. We understand why people are pointing to the offensive line and wondering how we’re going to be,” Stapleton said after Rutgers opened spring practice Tuesday. “But we also have a lot of guys who have just been waiting their turn. Maybe I wasn’t ready for the opportunity before this. But I am now. I know a lot of other guys feel the same way.”

Stapleton, who arrived amid considerable fanfare four years ago, has reshaped his body after reporting to Rutgers as a flabby 320-pound freshman.

His problem is that he has been stuck behind too many good tackles. Two — Anthony Davis and Kevin Haslam — are among the three lost starters on the offensive line (center Ryan Blaszczyk is the other), leaving this spring as an opportunity for someone such as Stapleton to step up to claim a starting role.

“We’ve had a lot of offensive linemen since I’ve been here — Haslam, Pedro Sosa, Mike Fladell, even Blaszczyk — who had to wait their turn and they had success in their careers as starters,” said Stapleton, who started at Army last year in place of a punished Davis, lasting one quarter before getting hurt. “I’m ready. I feel confident. I feel stronger. I feel like this is my chance and I’ve been
preparing for this.”

With potential guard starter Desmond Wynn sidelined this spring following shoulder surgery, Rutgers opened the spring with Howard Barbieria at center, Forst at left guard, Caleb Ruch at right guard, Stapleton at right tackle and Devon Watkis at left tackle.

Wynn’s return could cause a shuffling if he slides in at left guard, moving Forst to right tackle and sending Stapleton to left tackle.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...ally_gett.html
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
swg
Epic Member

Witherspoon leaves Rutgers

Marcus Witherspoon arrived at Rutgers with plenty of fanfare. He left the program without having made any on-field impact.

The linebacker, who was arguably the Scarlet Knights' top prospect in the class of 2008, has left the team because of personal issues, Keith Sargeant reports in the Home News Tribune.

Witherspoon originally signed with Michigan but left before the '08 season because of NCAA Clearinghouse issues. He then landed at Rutgers in his home state of New Jersey. He was rated the No. 23 outside linebacker in his class by ESPN.com's Scouts Inc. and even higher by other services.

After sitting out the 2008 season, Witherspoon was bothered by injuries last year and never saw the field. He was moved to defensive end this spring but left after just three practices.

“He’s going to finish out this semester and then figure out where he’s going to land,” Schiano told reporters Friday. ”It’s not going to be playing football, though. It’s just going to be living a non-football life.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...leaves-rutgers
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
swg
Epic Member

Mohamed Sanu

He's not a safety, for one thing. He's a wide receiver who also operates out of the Wildcat and returns punts.

He's also not a mystery -- not merely a big, strong, fast and intriguing athlete coming off a year in which he didn't play football as a high school senior.

He's now one of the rising offensive stars in college football.

"It's much different," Sanu said after Rutgers wrapped up its fifth spring practice session on Friday. "Now I come out every day trying to get better and knowing what I have to do to get better. It's not the deer in the headlights thing like my first spring last year. I have a year under my belt. I know what to expect from (the coaches) and what they expect from me every day."

Sanu proved to be an impact player as a true freshman last year, catching 51 passes for 639 yards while rushing 62 times out of the Wildcat for another 346 yards. He combined for eight touchdowns, returned punts and also attempted seven passes.

And that was just the start.

"Mohamed has worked hard," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said. "He had a groin problem and rehabbed off that. He continues to do a lot of things well. We'll start working more on the Wildcat next week. He's doing a good job.

"He made a guy miss today and got it down to the 2-yard line. Those are the things we count on him to do."

Actually, there aren't many things that involve the football that Rutgers doesn't ask the 6-2, 215-pound Sanu to do. That's fine with the South Brunswick High product.

"I can do whatever they ask me to do, whatever they tell me to do," said Sanu.

But Sanu admits that his immediate success last year and emergence as an offensive star was somewhat unexpected.

"Yes, I was surprised," he said. "I didn't think it would happen that fast -- and the way it happened. I just ran with it."

It was just prior to last year's spring game that Schiano, desperate for help at wide receiver, decided Sanu needed to be on the offensive side because of his playmaking ability. It's safe to say he's there to stay, taking his defensive mentality to wide receiver.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...nu_sees_t.html
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
swg
Epic Member

Practice notes-day 8

It was more like a first practice of the spring than an eighth one. The team went in shoulder pads and shorts and had a shorter-than-normal workout with the spring's first full-scale scrimmage planned for Saturday. The Scarlet Knights are hosting a coaches' clinic today, and a couple hundred high school coaches dotted the sidelines to watch. New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was scheduled to address the coaches after practice.

Without any real hitting, it was tough to judge too much from today's practice. But the guy who really stood out to me, and who by all accounts is having a terrific spring, is wide receiver Tim Wright. The sophomore caught just about everything thrown his way, especially in the two-minute drill situations at the end of practice. He made a nice adjustment on one deep ball, grabbed a third-down conversion in traffic and later snatched a reception while being double covered.Wright didn't do much last year, but he's 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds and has all the tools. Greg Schiano told me that he's gotten Wright and Mohamed Sanu confused on tape a couple of times since Wright wears No. 5 and Sanu No. 6. And if Wright looks like Sanu on film, that's saying a lot.

The receiving group overall looks encouraging. Mark Harrison is a physical specimen and Quron Pratt is a shifty guy in the slot. One bit of bad news for the group was that freshman Phil Lewis suffered what appeared to be a serious arm injury during the practice. Schiano said Lewis was in a lot of pain.

The defensive line is deep and experienced, and whenever the second D-line went against the No. 2 offensive line, it was a total mismatch. The first string O-line is still being mixed and matched, with former defensive line super recruit Antwan Lowery running with the ones at guard. Desmond Stapleton has had a great spring and could be the starting left tackle or right tackle, depending on how Desmond Wynn plays when he's fully healthy. Depth is an issue, especially with Howard Barbieri out for the rest of spring with a knee injury.

Tom Savage had two passes intercepted during the two-minute drills. The first was a deflection that linebacker Steve Beauharnais grabbed in the end zone. The second was worse, as the offense just needed to get a field goal to win the drill, but Savage floated a throw for Sanu too low and got picked off by Logan Ryan inside the 10. Savage got an earful from Schiano and threw his helmet to the ground on the sidelines. Still, the sophomore quarterback threw some impressive balls during practice. As long as he gets protection from the O-line, he should have a big year. Ryan, by the way, has had a good spring and looks like a potential starter at cornerback.

I always enjoy the different weird things coaches do to simulate game situations. At one point in 7-on-7 drills, managers held brooms up in the air that Savage and Steve Shimko had to pass through. If Rutgers plays a team of witches or chimney sweeps, it should be ready.

The running backs didn't have much to do today, but Schiano told me that Joe Martinek has worked hard on trying to be more elusive instead of running through defenders. Martinek is solid but not spectacular, and he may have to hold off some incoming freshmen as Rutgers seeks a real home run threat at tailback.

The most animated guy on the field is new receivers coach P.J. Fleck. He's a boisterous young coach prone to leaping in the air or bowing, depending on what his players do. They seem to respond well to his energy.

Knee-jerk reaction of questionable merit: This is a very young team, and the offensive line remains a concern. But it's a talented bunch that should be better on offense than last year. Rutgers is probably a year away from serious Big East contention, but if the kids come around quickly, watch out

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...tgers-practice
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
swg
Epic Member

Rutgers OL: Looks for Improvement

It's a very different cast from last year. Gone are tackles Anthony Davis and Kevin Haslam and center Ryan Blaszczyk. In are ... well, we're not entirely sure yet.

(Art) Forst is back, but Howard Barbieri -- who was slated to take over at center -- suffered a knee injury and is out for the rest of spring. Desmond Wynn is penciled in as a likely starter at one of the tackle spots but he, too, has been hurt this spring.

Head coach Greg Schiano likes what he's seen so far out of Desmond Stapleton, who backed up Davis the past two seasons. Stapleton has been playing left tackle, and Schiano said he's provided worry-free performance. His older brother, Darnell, was a Rimington Trophy candidate at Rutgers and a starting center for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The most intriguing prospect on the line is Antwan Lowery. He was Rutgers' highest-rated recruit a year ago as a defensive lineman. After his redshirt season, he asked to make the switch to the O-line, Schiano said. The 6-foot-4, 325-pounder is obviously raw, but his size and skill can overcome some inexperience.

"He's incredibly explosive," Schiano said. "We have to get him good enough. We don't have guys like him, so it's almost to where we've got to make it work."

"He does some things to our best defensive linemen where you sit there and say, 'Are you kidding me?' But then he'll do something [dumb] and you're like, 'Are you kidding me?' So there are kidding-me's both ways."

Rutgers gave up more sacks (40) than any other Big East team last year and it struggled to run the ball effectively for large stretches. This year, there's little depth behind quarterback Tom Savage, so the line simply must protect him for the team to succeed. The group is still mixing and matching parts and probably won't have its pieces together until fall camp when Wynn and Barbieri return.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...ne-improvement
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
swg
Epic Member

Practice 13

If you’re planning on attending Saturday’s Scarlet-White scrimmage hoping to watch Mohamed Sanu, you may be out of luck.

The Scarlet Knights’ sophomore sensation was limited from practice Tuesday, still “”a little cloudy” (in Rutgers coach Greg Schiano’s words) after getting “”dinged” in Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage.

“”He tried to go a little bit,” Schiano said of his star wideout/Wildcat quarterback following practice Tuesday. ”"We’re going to have to let him rest a little bit.”

The Rutgers coach said if there’s any doubts about the health of his team’s best skill-position player, “”he won’t go.”

In other injury news, sophomore linebacker Junior Solice was knocked to the turf following a live period and remained virtually motionless for nearly 10 minutes before walking off on his own power.

“”It was scary there for a minute,” said Schiano, who tended to Solice, a Hackensack product who redshirted as a freshman last fall, as he rested on the turf. “”But he’s ok.”

The Scarlet Knights will practice once more on Thursday before competing in their annual Scarlet-White scrimmage this Saturday, 3 p.m., at Rutgers Stadium.

Here’s what Schiano had to say following Practice No. 13:

Assessment of the scrimmage after reviewing the tape:

“”We did some things better. Offensively, played with more intensity. We’re still a long ways off from an execution standpoint. We got a little better.”

On whether team is where he wants it to be this spring:

“”I don’t know. I never know. Where do we want to be? No. Because I’d like to be ready to go, but we’re not even close. But we’re getting better.”

On the kicking game needing to improve:

“”We’re trying some new guys in there. It needs to improve. (San San) is hitting it well. He’s hitting it well. The best he’s hit it since he’s been here.”

On whether anyone else was injured in the scrimmage:

“”(Tight end) Tony Trahan. Not seriously though.”

On CB Brandon Bing:

“”Brandon’s challenge is going to be consistency. He needs to perform at a more consistent level.”

On backup QB Steve Shimko:

“”He’s got a long way to go. But he did much better than he did in the first scrimmage.”

On Marcus Cooper, who converted to cornerback from wideout midway through spring camp:

“”Cooper has got a chance. There’s no doubt about it, he’s got a chance. Now, he’s gotta do it but I like what I see. The early returns are favorable.”

On the incoming recruits attending practice on a regular basis:

“”I think (J.T.) Tartacoff, (David) Milewski, (Sam) Bergen have been here almost every workout. That’s good stuff. They’re local, they can get here. I think it gives them an advantage, there’s no doubt.”

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/rut...d-2/#more-7297