Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cincinnati Pro Sports

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
The Reds should have let Phillips walk rather than sign him to that deal. That would have freed up money to pursue a few good free agents and saved the money for the resigning of the up-and-comers (like Homer Bailey). That is exactly what the Cardinals did in letting Pujos walk and signing Beltran + drafting Wacha. You never want to get stuck in a Ryan Howard type of contract. I guess that is why we are the Reds and they are the Cardinals.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
The Reds should have let Phillips walk rather than sign him to that deal. That would have freed up money to pursue a few good free agents and saved the money for the resigning of the up-and-comers (like Homer Bailey). That is exactly what the Cardinals did in letting Pujos walk and signing Beltran + drafting Wacha. You never want to get stuck in a Ryan Howard type of contract. I guess that is why we are the Reds and they are the Cardinals.
I disagree, now you can get someone to trade for him. While Wacha has worked out nicely, draft picks aren't a very sure thing in baseball. Trade Phillips for a good outfielder or shortstop, or even 2 top prospects and your chances are much better. Even though he had a down year, idiots like the Dodgers, Braves,Yankees, etc. would definitely be willing to give up a lot to get him. If we trade him, we can sign that Cuban kid for a lot less than we would have to pay Brandon. Heck, we might have enough to re-sign Choo if we did that. The Cards are smart not to overpay, but why not sign a guy and then when he is still good enough to get high value but not quite as good as he used to be, trade him. Also, Homer Bailey isn't an up and comer. At this point, he is what he is. He is very good, but I don't think he will be a number one starter. Latos is a bulldog and he is and will continue to become great. If I were the Reds, I would keep Cueto right until I thought Stephenson was close to being ready, and then ship him off for hitting/good prospects.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
I disagree, now you can get someone to trade for him. While Wacha has worked out nicely, draft picks aren't a very sure thing in baseball. Trade Phillips for a good outfielder or shortstop, or even 2 top prospects and your chances are much better. Even though he had a down year, idiots like the Dodgers, Braves,Yankees, etc. would definitely be willing to give up a lot to get him. If we trade him, we can sign that Cuban kid for a lot less than we would have to pay Brandon. Heck, we might have enough to re-sign Choo if we did that. The Cards are smart not to overpay, but why not sign a guy and then when he is still good enough to get high value but not quite as good as he used to be, trade him. Also, Homer Bailey isn't an up and comer. At this point, he is what he is. He is very good, but I don't think he will be a number one starter. Latos is a bulldog and he is and will continue to become great. If I were the Reds, I would keep Cueto right until I thought Stephenson was close to being ready, and then ship him off for hitting/good prospects.
Bailey will come up for a contract soon and the Reds would be wise to re-sign him for a decent amount. My point was, it will be much harder to trade Phillips now that he has this bad contract already. It is also difficult to trade him during the season since the Reds have been pretty good the past few years. I believe in developing players and signing them to 1 good deal (like with Bruce, 6 years 60 million) and when they come up for a second contract, either trade them or let them walk and develop a guy to step in. That is how the Rays have been so successful over the past few years.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Bailey will come up for a contract soon and the Reds would be wise to re-sign him for a decent amount. My point was, it will be much harder to trade Phillips now that he has this bad contract already. It is also difficult to trade him during the season since the Reds have been pretty good the past few years. I believe in developing players and signing them to 1 good deal (like with Bruce, 6 years 60 million) and when they come up for a second contract, either trade them or let them walk and develop a guy to step in. That is how the Rays have been so successful over the past few years.
I agree, but I think what the Cardinals do is sort of a happy medium. You gotta lock some guys up and let other guys walk/trade them. The Rays are good, but too much turnover can make it hard to be consistent. I think we have the financial capabilities to keep some players long term and also do a little bit of what the Rays do.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't imagine the Reds to have any interest in Uggla. Most overpaid player in baseball. Why would they downgrade at a position and not even save payroll? Phillips average was down, but he was asked to hit in the four hole most of the year and he did so with great success. 100 RBI's is nothing to slouch at and he's still a gold glove fielder. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the Reds move Phillips, but I would be surprised to see them move him for Uggla. I for one think the Reds would be dumb to move Phillips unless it was a package deal with someone and you get a bona fide stud hitter/pitcher. Another thing is if you move Phillips, then who plays 2nd base? You will not find anybody to replace his production and save money. Period. Uggla hit .233, .220 and .179 the past three seasons. He does have some pop and has a good glove, but so does Phillips. Uggla hit 4 more homers than Phillips and had 48 less RBI this past season, not to mention hit .179 vs. .261. He's due 13 million each of the next two years, Brandon is 11 and 12 million the next two years. If I were the Braves I would be interested in making that trade as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I wouldn't imagine the Reds to have any interest in Uggla. Most overpaid player in baseball. Why would they downgrade at a position and not even save payroll? Phillips average was down, but he was asked to hit in the four hole most of the year and he did so with great success. 100 RBI's is nothing to slouch at and he's still a gold glove fielder. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the Reds move Phillips, but I would be surprised to see them move him for Uggla. I for one think the Reds would be dumb to move Phillips unless it was a package deal with someone and you get a bona fide stud hitter/pitcher. Another thing is if you move Phillips, then who plays 2nd base? You will not find anybody to replace his production and save money. Period. Uggla hit .233, .220 and .179 the past three seasons. He does have some pop and has a good glove, but so does Phillips. Uggla hit 4 more homers than Phillips and had 48 less RBI this past season, not to mention hit .179 vs. .261. He's due 13 million each of the next two years, Brandon is 11 and 12 million the next two years. If I were the Braves I would be interested in making that trade as well.
BP contract is longer than 2 years. It has at least 4 years left. He signed for 50 mil. uggla has two years for 26mil. Article also mentioned a top prospect coming to reds as well.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
With the reds most likely, if not guaranteed, to lose Choo, this offense cannot afford to lose BP's bat (declining or not)...Dan uggla is worse than Triple E (encarnacion)...I just hope the reds wait until they hire a new manager before making any moves and let the coach have a voice in the decision...if the reds do get rid of BP, they are going to have to do something amazing to fill BP's void, on the field and especially off the field...
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
BP contract is longer than 2 years. It has at least 4 years left. He signed for 50 mil. uggla has two years for 26mil. Article also mentioned a top prospect coming to reds as well.
True, but my point is he's not saving us money in the short term and would be a serious downgrade. Plus, he's been a headache to his teams as well. I get that the media and thus the fans hate BP now because he cussed out Rosecrans and complained about the time it took to sign him and that his average dropped to .261 this year, but he still hit better than most of our roster and drove in 103 runs. The fans in this town suck sometimes and this is one of them. There is absolutely no way to replace his value on this team, short of going out and giving Cano $28 million a year and that won't happen. Phillips is a career .290 hitter, is arguably the best glove in the game at 2nd base and gets along with his teammates. I could do without his mouth here and there, but at least he's honest about how he feels. We cling to Freedom of Speech until somebody says something we don't like. The Reds would be stupid to trade Brandon Phillips as long as they are in a position to win right now, which they are. I think a new manager and hitting coach and an honest address from management/ownership confirming their belief in him and also telling him he needs to shut his mouth is all BP needs. He wants to play, he wants to be a good teammate and do what's best for the team and he wants to win.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Also, the Braves would do anything in the world to get rid of Uggla and that contract. He's hit .233, .220 and .179 in his three years there. Nobody in their right mind would trade for Uggla.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
I would really like to get Mattingly in here for an interview...
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote