Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Pead Prepared to Carry Load

With the offensive attack the Cincinnati Bearcats are likely to possess and the talent at the skill positions, they are certain to put up some huge numbers in 2010. The key to that attack, and the man that will be at the center of it all, is junior running back Isaiah Pead.

With new head coach Butch Jones now in the fold, the Cincinnati offense will have an added dimension this year—a running game. Pead will reap the benefits of the Bearcats running attack, and he is set to officially become a huge part of Cincinnati's offensive plans.

Pead was superb last season despite seeing limited carries in Brian Kelly's spread offense. He totaled 806 yards and nine touchdowns on only 121 carries as a sophomore in 2009. His 6.7 yards per carry average was one of the best in the nation, and he also had 201 receiving yards and two touchdowns on 20 receptions.

This year, Jones has already singled out Pead along with juniors Zach Collaros and J.K. Schaffer as the leaders of this years team. Big things are expected from Pead and the young man from Columbus, Ohio, is ready to deliver like he always has.

Pead was one of the first big name recruits to break the mold and choose Cincinnati over in-state power Ohio State. He had a record breaking career at Columbus' Eastmoor Academy, breaking all the school's rushing records previously held by Archie Griffin.

Pead was a four-year letter winner at running back and defensive back in high school. He was the Division III Ohio state player of the year his senior season after rushing for 2,204 yards and 39 touchdowns to go along with six interceptions. Pead was the Division IV player of the year as a junior after rushing for 1,696 yards and 24 touchdowns.

Did I mention his blazing speed? Pead was also a track star, winning the state championship in the 400-meter dash in 2007.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...innati-in-2010
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
DWhit217

DWhit217 is on a distinguished road
Hey, first post here...just wanted to say keep up the great work swg. The recruiting forum looks phenomonal and is full of tons of information. Back on topic, Pead looks poised to have a tremendous season. Any information on how the back up RB's are looking. I know Goebel will be a solid #2 but I was wondering if Darren Williams or anyone else looks ready to step up god forbid Pead goes down with an injury.
DWhit217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I haven't been to the practices, so I can't offer any personal info on Darrin.

Thanks, for the kind words. If you like the site, please tell your friends.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
swg
Epic Member

Pead makes strides (Katz)

He had been hurt during that week of practice, and by his own account, he wasn't prepared to absorb the gameplan. Thus, though UC's offense had little problems dispatching Illinois' defense, his absence was noticeable as he gained minus-five yards on four carries.

"I didn't get a good feeling for him today," Brian Kelly said afterward. "I'm on the sideline bringing guys in and out. I just didn't get that connection today. It wasn't his kind of game. It didn't materialize that way."

And it seemed like Isaiah Pead - even though he finished with a team-high 806 rushing yards and nine touchdowns on 121 carries last season as a sophomore - still had to mature before he could become the kind of running back he knows he can be.

"I didn't practice that much that week because of a hamstring problem," Pead said. "The install that week, I wasn't all the way locked in because I wasn't taking reps at practice. I could only take so many mental reps because I was taking therapy. It was like sitting out for a week basically."

Not playing that week - and perhaps some of Kelly's comments afterward - made an impact on Pead, though.

"It really hit me," Pead said. "There are no superstars out here. You can't just sit out for a week and expect to play in a game."

Last year, Pead, Darrin Williams and John Goebel had Jacob Ramsey on which they could rely. Ramsey was the senior leader, and the trio of underclassmen could share the running back responsibilities with him. No more, though. Now it's up to Pead - who likely will enter fall camp at the top of the depth chart.

As a result, Pead - as he's set to enter his junior year despite the knee injury he suffered during the spring game - said he's changed his mentality.

"It's been the last six months," Pead said. "Now it's time to be a leader - after sitting in the shadows and coming out here and there, scoring a few touchdowns and getting my feet wet behind Ramsey and John Goebel and taking mental reps. It's the determination of the person who's sitting on the bench and watching. It's transferring from taking the mental reps and to actually doing it now."

In order to be that top running back, though, Pead still has to work on becoming a complete running back. Which means, obviously, running the ball, but it also means Pead has had to work on other aspects of his game.

"We're going to expect him to pass protect," coach Butch Jones said. "He's not going to be extended out in the formation. We always talk to our running backs about being complete running backs. It's easy to find a runner or pass-catcher. But a running back has to do all the fine details - they have to pass-protect and they have to run-block, they have to have great run-fakes, they have to understand the run system and the tempo of the run plays and be able to catch the ball. That's what we've been stressing."

It's no surprise to Pead the biggest improvement he has to make is in his blocking.

"I'm an undersized back who has yet to touch 200 pounds," Pead said. "If you want to cut and be quick with it and stay up, you have to be physical. You have to be relentless, and you have to have heart. You're a smaller back and (opposing defensive ends) are making it tough on you. They're trying to bull-rush the quarterback, like you're not even there.

"There's no Jacob Ramsey. He was great at it, and he weighed 220 pounds. There's me, who's 195, and Goebel - who has size but needs to get his technique down - and Darrin, who's 5-6."

Jones believes Pead will get it, though. It's because Jones says he can see Pead's hunger. The hunger to be the first UC running back since Richard Hall in 2004 to gain 1,000 yards in a season. The hunger to be the best running back on the team.

"I like Isaiah's mentality," Jones said. "He's an extremely competitive young man. There isn't anybody who wants to do better than Isaiah Pead."

http://www.gobearcats.com/blog/katz-on-the-cats/